Shed some light on Coruscant Nights 2?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shed some light on Coruscant Nights 2?
 PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:42 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Barely started reading Street Of Shadows, and I've come across what seems to me a ridiculous mistake made by the author.

At the end of chapter 8 (page 90 in my paperback), Rhinann discovers a transmission between Barriss Offee and Luminara Unduli. Twice on the same page it references that the message was sent "20 years ago" during the clone wars.

Am I wrong in thinking that it would be more like 5? Maybe I've missed something crucial. Anyone know?

http://soundcloud.com/city-approach

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:58 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Considering that the ERC places Street of Shadows in 18 BBY and the Medstar Duology in 20 BBY in the timeline, I'd say that's a typo. Probably supposed to be 2 years; not 20.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:02 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Ok, it says 20 twice and mentions that the quality of the message is poor because it's over 20 years old.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:19 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'd have to reread it in context. Since Michael Reaves wrote both the Medstar Duology and the Coruscant Nights trilogy his making such a fundamental mistake is strange.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:32 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I seem to remember the Coruscant Nights books being full of continuity errors - that isn't the only one.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:52 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I don't remember them being full of continuity errors, but it's been awhile since I've read them. I was kinda thinking of rereading them before The Last Jedi is released.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:59 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Most of the errors were with dates - it seemed like it was originally meant to take place later in the timeline.

But then again, it has been a while since I read them too.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:30 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

There were a LOT of dating issues. That one is by far the most glaring.

It is 2 years, but is consistently referred to as much longer.

There are other continuity issues that I've heard others mention - dead characters showing up, and characters who live afterwards getting killed off, though its been long enough since I read them that I forget what those were.

Suffice to say that if you focus on the main plot and ignore the timing, they're really good books. But if you start paying attention to the details, it seems like the continuity editing was skipped on these.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:47 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

It's my belief that what Grand says is true - that it was intended to take place later in the timeline. The whole series, to me, read like it was supposed to be years later, and take place over a much longer span of time, than what is stated in other sources. Indeed, a later plot point appears to rely on this being true. I don't know what changed, whether it was poor communication from the author, or the editors screwing up, to make this so. I can only suggest that you read it from the point of view that it is actually 20 years later, rather than two. That may make it an easier book to read.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:04 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Thanks for all the replies. I'll have to just carry on reading with an an open mind to when it actually takes place.

It's frustrating when something like this comes up, totally killed my enthusiasm for the book.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:37 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Proudfoot wrote:
Ok, it says 20 twice and mentions that the quality of the message is poor because it's over 20 years old.

That's due to the Author getting his dates messed up- it'll get worse come the 3rd book....

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:39 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

illogicalRogue2 wrote:
Proudfoot wrote:

That's due to the Author getting his dates messed up- it'll get worse come the 3rd book....

I don't recall any date issues with the third book, but it's been a while since I've read 'em.

Reaves has been battling Parkinson's Disease, which I assume is why he's been writing alongside Steve Perry and Maya Kaathryn Bohnhoff in recent years. I'd tend to chalk continuity errors like dates to the editors rather than the author (especially one battling an illness), but I'm sure details like dates aren't normally poured over with a copy of the Holocron in hand before a book is published.

Hope it doesn't throw you out of the story, Proudfoot! Minor stuff like that aside, I think the trilogy is a really fun read.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:47 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

VileZero wrote:
illogicalRogue2 wrote:
Proudfoot wrote:

I don't recall any date issues with the third book, but it's been a while since I've read 'em.

Reaves has been battling Parkinson's Disease, which I assume is why he's been writing alongside Steve Perry and Maya Kaathryn Bohnhoff in recent years. I'd tend to chalk continuity errors like dates to the editors rather than the author (especially one battling an illness), but I'm sure details like dates aren't normally poured over with a copy of the Holocron in hand before a book is published.

Hope it doesn't throw you out of the story, Proudfoot! Minor stuff like that aside, I think the trilogy is a really fun read.

I am enjoying them but that just grated on me. I didn't know that about Michael Reeves, poor guy.

I would have thought dates would be quite thoroughly checked if they are trying to maintain continuity though.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:01 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Proudfoot wrote:
VileZero wrote:
illogicalRogue2 wrote:
Proudfoot wrote:

I am enjoying them but that just grated on me. I didn't know that about Michael Reeves, poor guy.

I would have thought dates would be quite thoroughly checked if they are trying to maintain continuity though.

My understanding of the editorial process is that there's an editor that checks for the obvious grammatical/spelling stuff, but Leland Chee is really the only person that is the go-to guy when it comes to continuity stuff (dates, characters, etc). I guess he doesn't edit each book too. Some stuff is always gonna fall through the cracks, though.

If you want your heart to just break completely, Reaves keeps a blog ( http://michaelreaveswriter.blogspot.com ) documenting his battle with Parkinson's Disease.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:08 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

VileZero wrote:
illogicalRogue2 wrote:
Proudfoot wrote:

It's about the conclusion.
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 2