Where Does Your Fandom Reside
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:05 pm Reply with quote  

To everyone: What's the most recent area of fandom you've decided to explore?

Lately I've dived into two things: customizing Star Wars figures (I've been repainting Ewoks and Hutts with some nice results), and watching the Ewok cartoon series.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:25 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Well I was thinking of making a SW Halloween custume, not for this year, but for the next year.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:00 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

My fandom has been on a downswing, so the only thing I've decided to (re)explore is the Original Trilogy. The last time I saw it I tried to wipe out all the prequels, EU, TV shows etc. from my mind and watch it on its own merits. It's still as awesome as I remember it. Smile

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:26 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Regardless of what George further does to the saga, the OT (pre-Blu-Ray) will always be an epic classic. Let not the changes diminish your love for what is still deserving of our fandom. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:59 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I've recently taken to drawing Star Wars characters. So far it's three successful drawings consisting of Anakin, Padme and Darth Maul, a failed attempt at Leia and a work-in-progress on Luke. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:04 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
Regardless of what George further does to the saga, the OT (pre-Blu-Ray) will always be an epic classic. Let not the changes diminish your love for what is still deserving of our fandom. Smile

Indeed. I love those movies to death.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:14 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I think I would rank my fandom in this way:

1- Movies
2- Comics
3- Novels
4- Video games

I have to put comics ahead of novels, if only because I read my comics the day I buy them, whereas I'm a slow book reader and it takes me forever to get through the novels.

And I love the video games! I'm having so much with with SWTOR right now. Good times.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:37 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I've loved Star Wars from the first time I watched the original (when it was know then as just Star Wars) from the back seat of my dad's AMC Gremlin at the drive-in. As a fun little side note, my older brother and I hid under blankets so my dad would be charged for only 2 people instead of 4. Anyways, I even like the prequels, and still do. But what really got me hooked and onto the path of the uber fan were the novels. I started only satarted reading them a few years ago and so I haven't read a ton, but I have a ton of books sitting on my shelf just waiting to be read. I just love how the novels brings a whole new demension to the universe that is Star Wars.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:54 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Loremastery with a focus on Holocron continuity. And the Force, though not as much as I once did.

I used to be a pretty casual fan, until the Wook made me realize the EU was intereconnected, and that appealed soooo much to me. Made me want to know it all. Find EU answers and rationalizations to unanswered and weird things about the movies. Which in turn led me to realize how inconsistent the EU seemed to be. So I started digging into Holocron continuty, and by accident came across knowledge of S-canon. Its implications were obvious to me from the start: Tons of older stuff was in fact not consistent with the new, deliberatly so. Which solved the problems I had seen nicely, making the canonical EU pretty damn consistent after all. Wanting to reflect that in Wook articles, as I realized how many fans trusted the site, I got in trouble with their admins. They felt I was dead wrong, that the older stuff was in fact canon after all, but they were powerless to make a good case for it. So some bad apples decided to censor and ban me instead. I didn't take it well, and began digging into Holocron continuity in earnest in an attempt to prove my earlier masters wrong. And so I have. Soundly.

Along the way I discovered that the only way to know the EU for real, is to know Holocron continuity. That way I know which sources to ignore, and which to include, and that can change the big picture a whole lot, lemme tell ya.

Recently I have been pretty numb, though. I'm still waiting to see if the EU survives Disney. If it doesn't, I'm cutting my losses and leaving my EU interest behind. And until I find out for sure, I see no reason to invest any time or energy in EU products. I was always a fan of the facts first, not the entertainment. I can get that elsewhere. I'll still watch the movies, maybe play some games if they are really good, RPG sessions maybe, but a rebooted EU? Nope. Fool me twice, and all that...

Being a fan of the facts, I don't buy any merchandise. Old used paperbacks from Amazon is as far as it goes. My friends are dumbfounded by how I don't even have any SW posters on my walls, no SW-themed clothing or nothing, considering how much of a fan I am.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:05 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Thread necromancy!

With regard to the initial question, back in the 90s I was a fan of the novels, comics, and video games, and I have fond memories of all three. Since then I suppose that my enthusiasm has been tempered a bit, initially by the release of the NJO shortly after Episode I. I had a fandom renaissance when I became excited about Episode II and caught myself up with the NJO, which I then followed to the end. A lot of the Episode II soundtrack is nostalgic to me because it reminds me of the latter half of the NJO. Since 2003, my interest has slowly waned, with a few things sustaining my interest, such as Episode III, The Force Unleashed, Shadows of Mindor and Crimson Empire III, but I'm mostly someone that just wears Star Wars T-shirts occasionally but doesn't buy any new novels or comics.

Now I'm mostly driven by nostalgia, which segues into the follow-up question. I've lately been interested in Star Wars stuff that was published or released in the 80s and 90s that I haven't yet read, like Marvel Star Wars and the short fiction in Star Wars Adventure Journal that weren't collected somewhere that I would have read them. I've also been pretty interested in revisiting the novels published between 1991-1998. I'd say that to some degree I have developed intense nostalgia for Star Wars as it existed in 1998, i.e. the OT and the stories that spun out of that, which stands in pretty sharp contrast with the more recent fiction, e.g. it isn't dominated by Jedi and Sith.

I guess now I'm going to attempt to get back into SWTOR, which may or may not be less frustrating than it previously was due to the attempt to further monetize it, allowing access to things through the application of cash in lieu of time.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:23 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I can honestly say I'm an all of the above fan, but I still think there are some things that could be improved. From games to Legos to books to movie\tv to, well, anything, there isn't a single part of it that I don't at least like. As someone else said, I like the interconnectedness of it.

I guess I'm that unusual fan that started liking it with the EU instead of the movies, so the books, especially, will always hold an extra special place for me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 2 of 2