Did the prequels reuse music more than the OT?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga View previous topic :: View next topic  
Did the prequels reuse music more than the OT?
 PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:23 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I've read people at home theater forums complain about Lucas cutting up Williams' scores for the prequels so I wonder if this is what they're referring to, but it seems like a lot of the music from the prequels is reused wholesale (rather than as motifs). In Revenge of the Sith, the music that plays while Anakin is crash landing the Invisible Hand is from the track "Escape from Naboo" on the Episode I soundtrack, and the music that plays when Anakin and the 501st march on the Jedi Temple is from "Love Pledge and the Arena" on the Episode II soundtrack. The music during the arena battle in Episode II (after the Jedi arrive) seems to be cut up from "Panaka and the Queen's Protectors" and "The Droid Invasion" from the Episode I soundtrack.

The only time in the OT that I know that music was reused was that the Battle of Yavin track was using during the Battle of Endor when the Executor is destroyed and the music from when Han and Luke man the quad turrets is reused when the fighters enter the Death Star II. And even then it's not precisely the same; it doesn't fool the application for identifying music.

I could be wrong and music is more frequently reused, but I think typically when the OT does it it does so as motifs, rather than simply repeating a track like the prequels. And the way I determined that the music is identical is I used an application for identifying music on the music from Episode II and III and it brought up tracks from Episode I and I & II, respectively.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:31 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Hmmm, I'm not sure. There once was a poll in one of the magazines asking which songs contained parts of others making me think the original still reused music. However, I failed that test lol Next time I check out the original trilogy, I'll be listening for reused songs. Wink

"Then you saved my life. How disgusting. How unfortunate."
"No, don't gush on so. It was nothing, really."

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:39 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The music to the OT is distinct for each film to the extent that I am certain I can identify which film a track is from upon hearing it. I don't think that I can say the same for the prequels. Overall I think the prequels have a few good tracks, but the overall quality doesn't compare to the OT, especially since it seems to be reused more frequently.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:48 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

John Williams wrote a bunch for all the movies, but it makes sense that he would reuse/use the same parts of earlier scores to emphasize the movie scene. With the PT, since it is really all about the fall of Anakin, reuse or reprises of the earlier scores makes sense, as a sonic reminder of the earlier events.

I think the scores are all great.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga

Page 1 of 1