Disney has bought Lucasfilm for $4bn
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:51 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Darth_Henning wrote:
Personally, I'm concerned mostly about continuity.

Disney acquires Lucasfilm? That's nice. Shocking, but I don't really care. So long as the company stays intact, and Star Wars remains, I'm OK with it.

Production of Episode VII (and way beyond). Now THIS concerns me greatly. As a huge continuity nerd (and someone who's come to adore star wars because of it), this concerns me greatly.

There is very little space to write whole new trilogies post ROTJ without extensive tie-in to existing works. And if that's not done, IMHO, I'm going to lose interest very quickly.

I loathe. Repeat. LOATHE reboots and separate continuities (parodies like Tag&Bink, or stated "what ifs" like Infinities excluded) The Bond reboot with Craig has turned that from being one of my 3 favourite movie series into something that I barely care about.

If that happens to Star Wars...well, at least I'll be saving a lot of money in the future.

That said, if they do tie it in to the existing EU, and its the same quality as the Avengers, then I'm going to continue on as I have always done and not really notice the difference.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I'm with you 100%. I think we will be much richer this time 2015.

http://soundcloud.com/city-approach

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:53 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Werehunter wrote:
Because it's hard to do when you consider how many people are working in just one medium. When you put the mediums all together, many of which are done by separate companies who license the rights to use Star Wars, it is all but impossible.

I want the books to line up with the books, the comics to line up with the comics, the video games to line up with the video games. They should all be based on the same source material, but don't worry about lining up the continuity 100%. Let them go their own way, as long as they don't go too far. There's no reason to force the people writing the novels to ensure their stories will lead to the Legacy comic.

And yet despite this, over the last 10+ years, it has worked extremely well. Even most of the old material still fits for the most part. Yes, there's disagreements, mistakes, and gaffes here and there. Yes, the occasional retcon is needed (coughTCWcough).

But on the whole 95% of material works together seamlessly. I see no reason that that should be changed.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:00 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I was driving about an hour ago when Mara's sister texted me the news. I considering turning into oncoming traffic.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:05 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Too many people on my Facebook think this is good news.

http://soundcloud.com/city-approach

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:23 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:
I was driving about an hour ago when Mara's sister texted me the news. I considering turning into oncoming traffic.

I pondered taking a dive off the Causeway into the lake...it honestly seemed like the thing to do.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:56 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:

I pondered taking a dive off the Causeway into the lake...it honestly seemed like the thing to do.

I'm thinking of suing Lucas for emotional distress.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:49 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

The new movies won't heed EU continuity. Sorry for everyone hoping for a Thrawn adaptation.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:51 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

They don't have to heed EU continuity for a Thrawn adaptation, they just have to take some inspiration from it, & George specifically mentioned he was pointing out EU stories for inspiration.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:54 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

DarthDiskon wrote:
The new movies won't heed EU continuity. Sorry for everyone hoping for a Thrawn adaptation.

How do you know? We haven't heard any announcement about what will be in the new movies, just that there will be new movies.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:33 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Pablo Hidalgo has said the cinematic and EU are separate universes, and really that's the only way to preserve post-ROTJ stories in light of this news.

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:12 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Star Wars Episode VII: Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mortis

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:15 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Mad Wook wrote:
Star Wars Episode VII: Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mortis

Actually.....that not be such a bad thing!! If they really did split the universes (for real) they could explore that in these new movies, and the books could ignore it and stick to more traditional star wars.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:17 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Yeah, I see a split universe coming too. I was mainly throwing that out there to harass all the Mortis haters. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:30 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Mad Wook wrote:
Yeah, I see a split universe coming too. I was mainly throwing that out there to harass all the Mortis haters. Wink

Ya I figured, it just amused that I actually saw a pretty good silver lining in that!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:50 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I think a split universe would be the best idea - it would allow for EU fans to continue to enjoy the current EU and the new movies. I just wonder what they will do if they write books based upon the new movies - would they be labeled differently?

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 4 of 12