The Continuity Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 61, 62, 63 ... 72, 73, 74  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:35 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

DarthMRN wrote:
The only definitely positive thing about this merger, is that finally, finally, the Lucas gushers who have for years said "Lucas gets to do whatever he wants, cause he owns Star Wars" will have to shut up.

Lucas is (almost) gone from the equation. Finally. I would exclaim a loud horray, were it not for the fact that his artistic need for SW to adhere to his vision is the only reason SW has the strong continuity it does today. With Disney corporate moneygrubbers at the helm, we might, worst case scenario, get all of GL's greed, and none of the artistic integrity. We might lose Holocron continuity.

I'm still waiting for Leland's thoughts on this whole thing.

I honestly doubt we will get Leland's thoughts on anything anymore.

http://soundcloud.com/city-approach

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:43 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Lucas isn't gone from the equation. He's still creative consultant and Kathleen Kennedy made it very clear she's going to lean heavily on his input.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:47 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Cerrinea wrote:
Lucas isn't gone from the equation. He's still creative consultant and Kathleen Kennedy made it very clear she's going to lean heavily on his input.

I think the best we can hope for in terms of the EU is that the movies are loosely based on existing canon.

We're fooling ourselves if we think they will though.

http://soundcloud.com/city-approach

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:14 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I just don't see room for 3 movies............days of continuity discussions might be over........

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:30 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Proudfoot wrote:
Cerrinea wrote:

I think the best we can hope for in terms of the EU is that the movies are loosely based on existing canon.

Watch the video I posted. Lucas mentions the EU in it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:17 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Cerrinea wrote:
Watch the video I posted. Lucas mentions the EU in it.

LOL. Lucas says to follow the EU. He never did before, why start now?

The only reason that they didn't make Episode nine ten eleven twelve million is because Lucas didn't want to. "Star Wars ends at episode Six." If he did decide to do them, do you really think he would have stuck to the EU? No way.

Thanks Darth MRN for that comment on the comics, that is exactly what I was thinking. You said it better than I was able to.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:03 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Proudfoot wrote:
Cerrinea wrote:

Best I hope for is the EU becomes it's own universe and gets to cherry pick from the films and TV shows what goes into it.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:30 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

1337Jedi wrote:
I just don't see room for 3 movies............days of continuity discussions might be over........

Huh. I guess the year 200 ABY doesn't exist then, right?

There is PLENTY of room for 3 movies. They never once said that the Big 3 (remember: those actors are OLD) will be in it.

And to those saying that the days of "Lucas owns it, and he can do what he wants" is over:

"Disney owns it and can do what it wants."

No change.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:37 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Taral-DLOS wrote:
And to those saying that the days of "Lucas owns it, and he can do what he wants" is over:

No change.

Not even close.

Lucas was deified for his hand in the creation of SW, and that goodwill has made him exemt from requirements of things like proper research and quality control among gushers. Disney, as merely caretakers of SW won't have the same amount of leeway, and consequently won't be able to get away with what GL did. Not without everybody in the fanbase becoming a basher.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:57 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

DarthMRN wrote:
Taral-DLOS wrote:

No change.

Not even close.

Lucas was deified for his hand in the creation of SW, and that goodwill has made him exemt from requirements of things like proper research and quality control among gushers. Disney, as merely caretakers of SW won't have the same amount of leeway, and consequently won't be able to get away with what GL did. Not without everybody in the fanbase becoming a basher.

I disagree. As the owners of the franchise, they should be allowed the same leeway as GL had. And really, GL was villified for the changes it seemed he was making to SW continuity. We weren't forgiving him with "GL can do what he wants" language, we were just rationalizing it.

The rationalization of "Disney owns Star Wars" still applies. It's still just as bad, and we can harp on it all we want (I'd rather try and be positive until we actually see Episode VII though). And if it's really bad, we can choose not to consume bad Star Wars products, and give bad reviews to movies and books and what-not. "Disney owns Star Wars" is no more an excuse than "GL owns Star Wars" was, but it's no less of one either.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:01 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

If not the majority, then at least the vocal minority, villified Lucas, sure. But those whose gushdom remained in spite of the acts that created such villification, I find strong reason to suspect of having deified him instead. They who had bought the deification that sprung up around the man after ANH was released, that phenomenon where he could no longer go out into the streets, where people broke into his house only to steal the scripts, where film scholars suddenly changed their tune about SW from summer fun, to epic masterpiece. And seeing their hero attacked from all sides, they grew contrarian more than anything. I am talking about gushers here, not neutrals.

To suggest that this gushdom, embedded in these fans after years of treating Lucas like a god who could do no wrong, would have no impact on their tolerance for his actions, is ludicrous IMO. Whenever I have argued with a gusher over the TCW troubles, their first argument has always been that he owns SW, he gets to do what he wants. And on that point, Disney now has equal rights. But the second argument is always that he created it, we can only enjoy it in the first place because of him, his vision. So then he doubly gets to do what he wants. Disney can't compete on that point. If anything, they will now be comparable to what your stereotypical Lucasverse purist calls glorified fanfiction writers, aka EU creators. Cause they are not him. And he has consulted for EU products in the past without that helping.

I mean, seriously. Are you going to argue that this fandom does not possess affective opinions? That only the cold, formal letter of the law exists? Are the last two days of forums ablaze not proof to the contrary?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:52 pm Reply with quote  

If George follows through on taking the backseat like he says he is, then Disney isn't so much going to be a voice as it is a bank. Won't Kathleen Kennedy be the one calling the shots? Lucas seems to think so. And in that case, I'd almost think Kathleen Kennedy might adhere to canon more so that George would have. If she oversees the script that is created (ie. makes changes to it so it fits into the picture of Star Wars as she envisions it), then that would just leave a director and whatever direction they want to go with it.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:00 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

illogicalRogue2 wrote:

Best I hope for is the EU becomes it's own universe and gets to cherry pick from the films and TV shows what goes into it.

This ^^

I've been wishing for a separate continuity for years, The only problems I've ever had in my fandom is the G-canon posse tearing down what I enjoy.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:34 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Darth Skuldren wrote:
If George follows through on taking the backseat like he says he is, then Disney isn't so much going to be a voice as it is a bank. Won't Kathleen Kennedy be the one calling the shots? Lucas seems to think so. And in that case, I'd almost think Kathleen Kennedy might adhere to canon more so that George would have. If she oversees the script that is created (ie. makes changes to it so it fits into the picture of Star Wars as she envisions it), then that would just leave a director and whatever direction they want to go with it.

Whenever I see this option aired, I must wonder why people think Disney would be invested in maintaining a single coherent continuity in the first place. Doing so is certainly not the status quo elsewhere. Not for Disney franchises, and not for Marvel.

Keeping continuity is an expense. It takes editor time and effort, it employs Leland Chee, it restricts storytelling, and alienates the audience with its complexity and retcon gymnastics. Lots of downsides, that only makes sense because of GL's artistic integrity made him feel that the EU shouldn't dilute his movies and established guidelines. Much as I hate to admit it, we undoubtably have him to thank for SW being the continuity giant it after all is in the fictional landscape.

If Disney is the money-grubbing company I hear them described as, and they decide to mess with the formula at all, they will inevitably weigh the downsides of continuity vs the number of EU fans that will buy stuff just cause it is canon. And I fear that is an equation continuity will lose. Unless we think Disney will maintain it on ideological grounds.

More realistic to think it was part of the contract, if anything. But personally I dare not give GL that much credit.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:50 pm Reply with quote  

That's assuming Disney is the one calling the shots. But isn't Kathleen Kennedy the one in charge? She seems to be all about maintaining the current state of affairs. Plus the editors at Random House and Lucasbooks are also on board with maintaining continuity. And I doubt Leland is that expensive. Even if they decide to steamroll over the EU books and comics, they'll still have to abide by the existing continuity of the movies (for the most part).

Also, I don't see how continuity is a downside for the audience. If you're not aware of continuity, then it's enforcement isn't going to hurt you any. The only group that complains is a small faction of fandom.

As for Marvel, I'm no expert on that continuity, but can any blame for continuity errors be laid on Disney or was that all Marvel's fault? Wouldn't they be the ones handling that?

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 62 of 74