What Book are you reading now? (Other than Star Wars)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 76, 77, 78 ... 111, 112, 113  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:13 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
In regards to a use of big words, did anyone else struggle with the Coruscant Nights books? I am an avid reader, so my vocabulary is decent. But I continually had to reference a dictionary. Words like ecumenopolis, phantasmagorical, etc. Neutral

Nah, I thought it was okay. I'm pretty used to reading books with big words and instead of cracking my head over it I just leave the word out, reread the sentence and everything makes sense to me. Sometimes it's quite hard reading like that but I learned to cope. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:16 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Finished THG. I don't want to start anything yet, as I'd quite like to dive right into book 2, as soon as it arrives. However, if I can't come up with a way to procrastinate, I may read Dracula, after hearing about this new TV show (called, imaginatively enough, Dracula).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/tv-column/post/nbc-orders-dracula-drama-starring-jonathan-rhys-meyers/2012/07/24/gJQAQMme7W_blog.html

Quote:
Dracula falls hopelessly in love with a woman who seems to be a reincarnation of his dead wife.

Stoker in his grave: turn, turn, turn.

Indeed.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:19 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Life Is The Path wrote:

Quote:
Dracula falls hopelessly in love with a woman who seems to be a reincarnation of his dead wife.

Stoker in his grave: turn, turn, turn.

Indeed.

That was the plot of the 1992 Coppola movie, and that had the dude's name on it. I don't see why this should bother him more.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:01 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Because Dracula in Bram Stoker's Dracula was not a 'player'. Both the film and this series would go against the character of Stoker's Dracula.

Got my copy of Catching Fire.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:19 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Finished Catching Fire, now on to Mockingjay.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:15 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I've just started on The Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett and I'm already laughing my head off! That guy is brilliant! Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:46 am Reply with quote  

Five By Five, a sci-fi anthology by five authors, each pitching in with a short story/novella. Authors include Aaron Allston, Michael A. Stackpole, Kevin J. Anderson, Loren L. Coleman, and B.V. Larson. I finished reading the first story by Allston "Big Plush" and I have to say it's the best short story I've ever read by Allston. It's really inventive and a great story. Worth the price of the eBook by itself.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:58 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Finished Mockingjay and now on to Dracula. When I started reading, I realised the following: it's late, and I'm reading Dracula - two things which are not conducive to getting a good night's sleep.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:07 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

So did anyone else that read Mockingjay feel really....disappointed?? I enjoyed the first two books, but didn't really like this one at all.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:46 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Ultimatedash wrote:
So did anyone else that read Mockingjay feel really....disappointed?? I enjoyed the first two books, but didn't really like this one at all.

Third one was a scattershot, I thought it was absolute crap.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:12 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
Ultimatedash wrote:

I liked the third one the best... Sad

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:31 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I felt it was decent enough. The trilogy started off strong but then it sort of petered (Peeta-d?) out. I disliked how Katniss missed out on most of the action because of her wounds, would have liked to have seen more of the rebellion itself - but, then again, it was more Her Story than Rebel Story.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:10 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

VileZero wrote:
Caedus_16 wrote:
Ultimatedash wrote:

I liked the third one the best... Sad

I did too. Wink

Honestly, I didn't even consider myself a fan until the third book. I thought it tied things together nicely. I think the overwhelming death count got to a lot of people. I thought it made it an effective war story. I felt mildly shell-shocked by the end.

Overall, I loved the story and Katniss, but Suzanne Collins writing leaves a lot to be desired. The more times I read the books, the more writing flaws I find.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:03 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Life Is The Path wrote:
Finished Mockingjay and now on to Dracula. When I started reading, I realised the following: it's late, and I'm reading Dracula - two things which are not conducive to getting a good night's sleep.

You shouldn't read a Fear Street book at night. Kept me up the whole time and I couldn't sleep a wink at the end.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:01 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Oh, it's not so much the book that'll keep me awake, but rather what my imagination will turn it into. If I ever get through my growing mountain of books, I might pick it up.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 77 of 113