Episode VII in 2015 [spoiler thread]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 31, 32, 33  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:09 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The thing that really sucks is that they don't even have to include anything from the EU, they just don't need to do things that directly contradict it. You could have a movie about a middle aged Luke, Han and Leia fighting robot dinosaurs and it wouldn't necessarily violate continuity unless you made the decisions to rewrite established history and have them say "Good thing that we never had kids!" You don't even need to show the kids and it works out because in the EU we know that they are there and in the movies they could just not be on screen.

It really isn't that hard at all. That's what Leland is for. Run it by him and he'll give you a short list of minor details to change and that's it.

But I've heard many people say that the best thing about new movies is that it will get rid of the EU. These laser brains think that Podracing is better than Thrawn.

Listen to this from an article about the new movie:

Quote:
We do know one thing: the new trilogy will not be based on existed Expanded Universe canon. We know this partially because of common sense: the EU stuff is almost uniformly terrible, appeals only to the most niche fans of a property that has worked itself into a real deep niche, and is also all bad. On top of that it's no good.

http://badassdigest.com/2012/10/31/what-will-star-wars-episode-vii-be-about-anyway/?utm_source=zergnet.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=zergnet_35629
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:59 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^From the link
About the Author: A ten year veteran of writing for the web,.......

I think they meant A ten year old, writing for the web,....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:09 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

< About the Author: An over ten year veteran of writing for the web. Like the other author, most of it is complaining about how things suck.

and by "veteran", we mean flame wars.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:58 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Ultimatedash wrote:
Actually Reep, I'm hoping by some magic we WILL get ourselves some Anakin Solo.

George Lucas character-assassinated Anakin Solo. He didn't like the idea of there being two Anakins in the galaxy, because of the apparent confusion it would cause, so he told Del Rey to do him in. Sad

So... I don't think he'll have anything to do with Episode VII.

Here's what I want them to do: make an entirely new series (same galaxy, still a Star Wars movie but not Episode [insert number here]) and set it pre-TPM. That way the EU fan in me is happy, because the EU damage will almost certainly be less and possibly non-existent. The movie fan in me is happy, because the saga is not given a pointless sequel. The six film saga tells a complete story, the story of the fall and redemption of Anakin Skywalker and the Republic. Adding to it wouldn't make sense, and it would smack of a bad Disney sequel ("they lived happily ever after... and then...!"). The fact that Disney is making it is just a coincidence (or is it? Wink ).

If that happened, I could get more than moderately excited for this.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:36 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

O I know GL murdered Anakin, I'm just saying if I'm gonna dream, I'm gonna go all out!! And actually I would quite enjoy that too Reep. Though if they do choose to go OR, I'm hoping for a KOTOR movie.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:02 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Won't happen Reep, but it's a solid idea.

It would be stupid from their POV for them not to do a Big Three movie. If not, as someone pointed out, "They are just paying for the words "Star Wars." That's two billion a word."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:16 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
It would be stupid from their POV for them not to do a Big Three movie.

That's if they can get the Big 3 back, though. *coughHarrisonFordcough*

And I don't think anyone would want them re-cast.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:22 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
It would be stupid from their POV for them not to do a Big Three movie.

That's if they can get the Big 3 back, though. *coughHarrisonFordcough*

And I don't think anyone would want them re-cast.

I wouldn't mind a re-cast. It worked well with Star Trek...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:24 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I would die if they were re-cast. There are some characters you just can't re-cast and Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, and Han Solo are some of them.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:33 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Not even if Nathon Fillion were Han Solo?
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:44 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Oooh, I could probably get behind Nathan being Han. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:43 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Life Is The Path wrote:
Not even if Nathon Fillion were Han Solo?

That's a bit too awesome to happen.

Though I would LOVE to see Fillion in some role in the future Star Wars films.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:40 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Cerrinea wrote:
Oooh, I could probably get behind Nathan being Han. Very Happy

It won't happen because its what we want to happen.

But we have Firefly, and honestly that's pretty much him playing Han Solo right there!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:15 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The recast idea is problematic. I just don't think the general audience will like it. Maybe I'm wrong.

If they do keep the original cast, which seems likely, I think that they will have the movie be about the passing of the torch to the next generation, whoever they are. Then those new characters will go on to be the protagonists in the following films.

I don't think that GAs will want to see new characters as the stars right off the bat in this one. I also think that they won't like the NJO story. It's too non star wars for movies. Of course that's why we liked it because it did something different, but that was after the bantam era. We don't have that in movies. The villains have to have some connection to the Empire or else it will come off as cheesy alien invader of the week Trek stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:19 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Honestly, at this point I just hope they don't hire Mark, Carrie and Harrison to do voices for their CGI created 30yo characters of Luke, Leia and Han.

I have no problem with them using Anthony Daniels in this regard though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga

Page 4 of 33