Random Movie Musings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 138, 139, 140 ... 185, 186, 187  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:56 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

The Secret World of Arrietty wasn't adventurous as Howl's Moving Castle or Spirited Away, but I still liked it.

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:15 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Arrietty wasn't great, wasn't bad, in my opinion. It was cute. Just cute.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:31 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

The Cabin in the Woods > The Avengers

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:51 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dancelittleewok wrote:

People laughed at me for saying this, but its true.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:47 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dancelittleewok wrote:

true.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:25 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Went to see Wreck-It Ralph last night. It was excellent! The movie was great, the music was great, the nostalgia factor was awesome. Disney seemed to once again use the winning formula for their movies, with a well balanced plot not focused on terrible children, doofus parents or overworked fairy tales. Not to say I don't like Disney's fairy tales, because I do. But this was an excellent use of fresh plot.

My favorite moment was definitely with the Oreos. If you've seen it, you know. If not, watch for it when you do. Smile

So to all the preemptive haters out there (I'm looking at you, Padme), this movie was excellent! Cool

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:00 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I thought Wreck-It-Ralph looked bad, but I'm starting to hear some good things about it. I might find a way to go see it.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:26 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I don't understand why so many people thought this looked bad. I mean...what was so terrible in the trailer that it gave that impression? Confused

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:47 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Sinister was a great horror flick right up until the end, where it became a great concept poorly executed. Too bad, the rest of it up till the last 5 minutes was incredible.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:09 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I FINALLY watched Prometheus. We've talked a lot about it before, so I'll be brief. My only complaint is that I didn't see it on the big screen. Well, if you saw it you know it had some script problems, but I can't really see where it could have used editing. None of those things really bothered me or stuck out as bad plot points. It was pretty standard stuff for Ridley Scott. Despite knowing the ending, I was guessing and pausing to have speculating conversations the whole time. That's the kind of movie experience I like.

I loved all the Aliens connections, even to the other movies. Kind of afraid for a sequel, though.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:37 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
I FINALLY watched Prometheus. We've talked a lot about it before, so I'll be brief. My only complaint is that I didn't see it on the big screen. Well, if you saw it you know it had some script problems, but I can't really see where it could have used editing. None of those things really bothered me or stuck out as bad plot points. It was pretty standard stuff for Ridley Scott. Despite knowing the ending, I was guessing and pausing to have speculating conversations the whole time. That's the kind of movie experience I like.

I loved all the Aliens connections, even to the other movies. Kind of afraid for a sequel, though.

Not to mention all the visual references to the actual Titan Prometheus.

And they succeeded here where there was every chance to fail, I'm not going to worry about a sequel till I see it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:22 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Yeah, and just think about how it connected to Alien: Resurrection, whether intentional or not. It elevates it from a pretty cheesy movie. That movie also mused about the nature of life creation and intelligence through genetic engineering and robotics, a concept that so clearly connects Prometheus to Blade Runner. You also have the death and rebirth cycle mythology and the total 360 of an Alien giving birth to a human hybrid, which blows my mind in connection to Prometheus.

I love the ambiguous parable of Prometheus. The movie probably leans towards the more uplifting POV on the mythological and existential quest for life and truth, but it can just as easily be interpreted that the universe is a cold and hostile place and we were not meant to try to pry the secrets from the Gods or else we will be destroyed by Lovecraftian horror.

David, whose name is deliciously mythic, utters the brilliant question at the heart of the film: "Don't all children want to kill their parents?"

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:42 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

You know what else is cool about Prometheus? Continuity, glorious continuity!

Even though the Prometheus sequels may go on to disregard the Alien sequels and Alien Vs. Predator, the shared AVP universe was already established in the Predator films prior to those movies.

Ridley Scott confirms that Blade Runner is in the same universe.

Soldier with Kurt Russel was written by the screen writer of Blade Runner who put in connections between the movies and confirmed they are in the same universe. The movie also connects to Event Horizon by the same director, and references pretty much every other Kurt Russel movie.

In his script for Aliens, James Cameron wrote that androids were made by Cyberdyne Systems, the company that produced the Terminator robots in the film of that franchise that he wrote and directed.

Terminator, Predator and Aliens all appeared together in a Dark Horse comic series. Aliens in comics also crossed over with Judge Dredd and characters from DC and Image comics, along with Predator who also crossed over with Tarzan. haha.

Possibly related:

Due to his shared universe movies and similar technologies shown, Cameron's Avatar might also be included. Although, it is not explicitly stated.

Robocop Vs. Terminator was written by Frank Miller who wrote and directed Robocop 2 and wrote the script for Robocop 3. Also the Terminator theme was played in the first film trailer for Robocop. This however is the only correlation shown in the films.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:57 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I honestly hated Alien: Resurrection. I loved 3, just not the next one. But on the shared continuity I don't want them trying to tie too many universes together. I hated Avatar (With a passion) so I don't want it touching that. Out of all the movies it could be connected to the only one I'm comfortable with (besides the original Alien) would be Blade Runner. I think too many crossovers would be destructive to the franchise.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:03 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I don't get the hate for Alien IV. It was written by Joss Whedon, fan boys bow down!

I hated Avatar too. It's more like an inside joke, with the exception of AVP, none of these things is likely to be given significance in any upcoming movies. Movie connections is just something that I really like. Chalk it up to Jung, or Kevin Bacon.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 139 of 187