Counting to 10,000
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:32 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

The Chemical Element Praseodymium has an atomic number of 59.

The Chemical Element Cobalt has one Stable Isotope. It has 59 neutrons.

In the UK, the bingo nickname for number 59 is 'The Brighton Line', after the London, Brighton & South Coast Railway.

59 is an album by Japanese pop duo Puffy AmiYumi.

In the year 59 AD King Dionysius II of Sicilia died. He was succeeded by Phillip II.

In the year 59 AD Emperor Nero ordered the murder of his mother Agrippina the Younger.

On 26th March 1859, a French amateur astronomer claims to have noticed a planet closer to the Sun than Mercury later named Vulcan.

On 24th Novemver 1859, British naturalist Charles Darwin published The Origin of Species.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Life is like the Force - Luke Skywalker, Crucible. Damn straight I am.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:09 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Life, Cobalt-59 has an atomic weight of 59, not 59 neutrons. It has 59 nucleons (27 protons and 32 neutrons).

SCIENCE.

60:

The first Buckyball had 60 atoms of carbon in it.

There are 60 seconds in a minute, and 60 minutes in an hour. Smile

60 is the highest possible score in Darts in a single turn.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:11 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

You're right. My mistake. Hey, easy mistake to make. They do have the first two letters, after all Razz
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:31 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Life Is The Path wrote:
How odd. It states that in my science textbook from school. Could it be that a school textbook is actually wrong? Shocked

lol.

No, it's wrong. It's important to distinguish between atomic number, atomic weight, and number of neutrons. The atomic number is the number of protons (for Cobalt, 27). The atomic weight is the mass of the atom, in number of nucleons (for Cobalt, usually 59). So the number of neutrons is the difference.

Note that most periodic tables show a decimal number as the atomic weight. This takes into account the traces of isotopes, be they stable or not, in an average sample. So for Cobalt, the atomic weight is 58.933, so there are a number of isotopes with fewer than 32 neutrons in an average sample. As a result, there are 58.933 grams per mole of Cobalt (a mole being 6.02 x 10^23 atoms).
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:30 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Thanks, Taral. Always fun to learn something new - or to have something clarified. But I should have checked online before hand.

Let's see if I can find a website that has accurate science facts ...

Along with atomic number 43, atomic number 61 is the only atomic number smaller than 83 who's Chemical Element (Promethium) is not stable.

In Humans 61 codons specify individual amino acids. (Again, as I feel I can no longer trust my school textbooks, I'm trying out a new website, which I've not yet confirmed to be completely accurate, and these are from that site - though I have found other sites that back these facts up: The genetic code = 64 combinations of triplet nucleotides.
61 codons for amino acids and 3 codons for stopping synthesis.
, and wikipedia of all places for the former).

61 is the international dialling code for Australia.

The sum of the first 13 digits of pi is 61.

On the 61st day of the normal year, Theodor Seuss Geisel, author of Dr Seuss, was born in 1904.

On the 61st day of the leap year, Chopin was born in 1810.

The average gestation period for dogs is 61 days.

The official length for an ince hockey rink must be no more than 61 metres.

In 61 AD - London is sacked during a rebellion led by the Iceni tribeswoman, Boudica (not to be pronounced 'Boadicea'). In the same year, her rebellion was crushed, and her most likely killed.

What's next?
 PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:08 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

1962 - The First Wal-Mart discount store is opened by Sam Walton in Bentonville Arkansas - Signaled the beginning of the end of retail as we know it.

Your all knowing Uncle Kal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:33 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The Chemical Element Europium has an atomic number of 63.

In 63 AD Vespasian became governor of Africa.

63 is the number of partially ordered sets of 5 elements.

63 is the number of chromosomes found in the offspring of a donkey and a horse.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:11 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

A chessboard has 64 squares.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:21 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Cool topic! Why did it stop then?
I'm here to resurrect it! Smile

65 is the minimum grade or average required to pass an exam, or a class, in some schools.
The traditional age for retirement in the United Kingdom, Germany, the United States, Canada, and several other countries. Razz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:05 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

The Jedi died...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:19 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Who is patient 67...?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:39 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Apparently there is a Zombie Comic book called '68.
http://www.68zombie.com/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:15 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

In AD 69 Saint Peter died.

69 is the atomic number of Thullium.

In 1969, man went to the moon, and left the messages 'Armstrong was here lol' and 'suck it, Russia' (unconfirmed fact).

The average time between hatching and fledgling of Ospreys is 69 days.

Female Queen snakes have, on average 69 subcaudals, with the numbers ranging between 54 to 87.

Adult coatis measure between 33-69cm.

Wood turtle eggs need 47 to 69 days to hatch.

Feodor Vassilyev gave birth to 69 children: 16 pairs of twins, 7 sets of triplets and 4 sets of quadruplets between 1725 and 1765, in a total of 27 births. 67 of the 69 children born are said to have survived infancy.

An interesting fact about the number 67: In 1967, the IMAX film system was invented by Canadian Ivan Grame Ferguson to premier at Expo 67.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:31 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Septuagint

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:35 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Next year Harrison Ford will be turning 71. Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 5 of 6