Random Movie Musings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 139, 140, 141 ... 173, 174, 175  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:55 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
I don't get the hate for Alien IV. It was written by Joss Whedon, fan boys bow down!

I hated Avatar too. It's more like an inside joke, with the exception of AVP, none of these things is likely to be given significance in any upcoming movies. Movie connections is just something that I really like. Chalk it up to Jung, or Kevin Bacon.

I hated Alien IV so badly. It was a sad excuse for a script overall. I like Whedon, but it doesn't mean all he touches is gold. Even Nolan and Aronofsky will fail someday. Alien IV was just poorly written, poorly acted, and poorly cast to be honest. I think the Ripley storyline was shoe-horned in after the finish in Alien 3. It felt so beyond unnecessary that I couldn't stand it, there was no need for it and they gave us no justification.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:13 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I watched Dead Poets Society last night. The acting was good, but I thought it was over-rated.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:30 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Reepicheep wrote:
I watched Dead Poets Society last night. The acting was good, but I thought it was over-rated.

We watched that in high school, but our teacher refused to let us see the ending.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:01 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
Went to see Wreck-It Ralph last night. It was excellent! The movie was great, the music was great, the nostalgia factor was awesome. Disney seemed to once again use the winning formula for their movies, with a well balanced plot not focused on terrible children, doofus parents or overworked fairy tales. Not to say I don't like Disney's fairy tales, because I do. But this was an excellent use of fresh plot.

Really? Thanks for the tip! I've been meaning to go and see it but didn't know if it was as good as the movie trailer made it seem. It's definitely on my watchlist now!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:29 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral-DLOS wrote:
Reepicheep wrote:

We watched that in high school, but our teacher refused to let us see the ending.

Really? I bet Mr. Keating wouldn't be pleased to hear that. Wink Seriously though, the ending is the most important part imo.

So... I watched Splice yesterday. I'm still sorting out how I felt about it, but I will say that it is a movie that I was thinking about for much of the day afterward.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:11 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I enjoyed Dead Poets Society. A Robin Williams classic.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:26 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:

So... I watched Splice yesterday. I'm still sorting out how I felt about it, but I will say that it is a movie that I was thinking about for much of the day afterward.

I loved it. I thought it was a pretty genius little creature film, and it was just short of over-the-top.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:24 pm Reply with quote  

I rewatched Mission Impossible 2 recently. The ending raised a question however:

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:33 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
Reepicheep wrote:

I loved it. I thought it was a pretty genius little creature film, and it was just short of over-the-top.

The more I think about it, the more I like it. I'm not normally much of a horror (Splice would be considered horror right?) fan, but that one did it for me. It pushed boundaries, but it did it in a thoughtful way, and it really stayed with me.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:25 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Splice was creepy and you know why. Is it just me or does the creature look just like Katherine Heigel? That's what I think every time I see her.

I don't remember MI:II. The only one I liked was the third one, the rest were too cheesy.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:44 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Salaris Vorn wrote:
I rewatched Mission Impossible 2 recently. The ending raised a question however:

And does he keep a little insta-mask kit in his back pocket?! Where did he get both of em? That movie was awful.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:15 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I saw Skyfall and Wreck-It Ralph yesterday. Both flicks were totally great!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:34 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

So Skyfall...

Daniel Craig has said he wants out after this one so that he can go out at the peak of it all, but I think he needs to stick around. For those who were unaware this film does not continue the Quantum storyline that was established in the first two of the reboot. It is a standalone that focuses more on the personal relationships of some of the characters and highlights how flawed, how jaded, and how broken they all are and I love it but that other thread needs a chance to close and without Craig it will make the new franchise feel disjointed. Two more movies and he could match Sean's original run which would be perfect.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:41 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

My wife and I saw Hotel Transylvania on Saturday night. So good! Great animation and voice acting, and a fun story Smile

Unfortunately the sound cut out at the beginning, and so we missed the exposition at the start. But they gave us free movie passes for it.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:56 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I know that it's stonerish, but I find it an amusing mental exercise to try to think about the ontological and logistical explanation for things in Disney movies.

In Aladdin the genie says that he has been trapped in the lamp for 10,000 years. He later notes that Aladdin's clothes resemble 3rd Century fashion and does impressions of Groucho Marx, Jack Nicholson and many references to other Disney characters. How could he knew about things that happened while he was trapped in the lamp and other things from the future?

Ok, so chalk it up to coincidence, or magic. But how about this one: If the genie was trapped in a magical artifact before the existence of human civilization, then centuries later when people had the ability to forge objects out of metal, why did they create oil lamps that look identical to genies?
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 140 of 175