(Jedi Expedition) Character Posting/Approval Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 35, 36, 37  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Roleplaying View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:36 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Salaris Vorn wrote:
wait time out there! You aren't endangering the RPG at all! We just need to work things though and I really think we've gotten very far in figuring out how to fit your character in perfectly.

I came off too strong in being concerned about cannon and my criticism was probably far too harsh. My sincerest apologies for that. I should have been more clear on this point too: all of your posts were in concept A-ok and at most just required a little tweaking to fit perfectly with the rest of the RPG. With regard to the post about Jori's master (which I critiqued too harshly) a few tweaks (for example have the master sent on the trail of who hired Jori instead of direct info on Sullust) and things would flow fine with the rest of the RPG.

So please don't loose hope and abandon the RPG, I (and I'm sure everyone else) wants to help you work out how to get your character to join.

Indeed, you've not endangered anything. This thread is where the story will take shape, once we all know where it goes we get to posting until a new brain storming session. But new RPGers are critical to this- we've not posted in a long time. Which is why we need to know the directions you're wanting to go. There was things planned to come, but we can find ways to work it together.

See like my "Nykon" character- he's in a limbo because I didn't see a big reason for his going to the surface. And we don't even have to have the malfunction happen anytime "soon" We can find ways to prolong it if need be.

But yes, as Vorn said, don't abandon the quest yet! I can see your character working in a multitude of angles. Wink

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:38 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

illogicalRogue2 wrote:
Salaris Vorn wrote:
wait time out there! You aren't endangering the RPG at all! We just need to work things though and I really think we've gotten very far in figuring out how to fit your character in perfectly.

I came off too strong in being concerned about cannon and my criticism was probably far too harsh. My sincerest apologies for that. I should have been more clear on this point too: all of your posts were in concept A-ok and at most just required a little tweaking to fit perfectly with the rest of the RPG. With regard to the post about Jori's master (which I critiqued too harshly) a few tweaks (for example have the master sent on the trail of who hired Jori instead of direct info on Sullust) and things would flow fine with the rest of the RPG.

So please don't loose hope and abandon the RPG, I (and I'm sure everyone else) wants to help you work out how to get your character to join.

Indeed, you've not endangered anything. This thread is where the story will take shape, once we all know where it goes we get to posting until a new brain storming session. But new RPGers are critical to this- we've not posted in a long time. Which is why we need to know the directions you're wanting to go. There was things planned to come, but we can find ways to work it together.

See like my "Nykon" character- he's in a limbo because I didn't see a big reason for his going to the surface. And we don't even have to have the malfunction happen anytime "soon" We can find ways to prolong it if need be.

But yes, as Vorn said, don't abandon the quest yet! I can see your character working in a multitude of angles. Wink

Im not confident enough to do this RPG justice. Thats the most important thing for me.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:11 pm Reply with quote  

Fair enough Revan. If you still want to do some RPing perhaps you'd be inclined to try our zombie RPG? That story is only beginning to develop so there aren't major plot points to deal with and it is overall pretty straight forward (your only real concern in creating a character is equipping yourself in a realistic way, no magical bags of holding).

The rules for posting and style format follow the same ones as the Jedi RPG so you won't have to learn a bunch of new rules or something.

At any rate what I'm driving at is why not try the other active RPG, get used to how things work in an RPG and use that to build up your confidence? When you're ready and feeling more confident we can reopen discussions about adding Jori.

EDIT: and I believe Life, Skuls, or Mara are up next for moving our story along.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:53 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Cheers.

Zombies arent my thing so if theres a brand new SW RPG starting up Ill get involved.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:34 am Reply with quote  

So I've been reading up on TOR and saw that one of the advanced Jedi classes is called a Jedi Shadow. On one level I think that's totally awesome since it is a character class that sounds very similar in concept to my character Will. On the flip side it now seems that I need to do a little retconning of the history of the Jedi Commandos since it sounds like Jedi Shadows date back to at least the time of KOTOR.

So below is my updated history sketch of the Jedi Commandos which I'd like to get people's feedback on before making it official:

Responding to both the recent wars affecting the Republic, First Jedi Purge, and threat posed by the small unit tactics of the Sith Assassins, the Jedi Council deemed the formation of a covert Jedi military unit necessary to supplement the Jedi Shadows who worked alone. Each member of the Jedi Commandos were instructed in traditional Jedi Shadow methods and Republic military small unit tactics. As a result each commando was capable of working alone, in groups or with regular Republic Commando units. Much like the Jedi Shadows, Jedi Commandos worked in the shadows to locate and destroy hidden Sith cells spread throughout the Republic. Due to normally operating at the squad or platoon level Jedi Commandos were designed to destroy Sith cells deemed too large to be eliminated by a single Jedi Shadow. Typically a Jedi Commando company would be stationed to a sector alongside a similar sized Republic Commando unit. From these locations spread throughout the galaxy Jedi Commandoss would be deployed to eliminate Sith threats identified by their own recon, Jedi Shadows, or Republic Spies. The Jedi Commandos numbered relatively few and at their peak never exceeded regimental strength. Each company had a Path Finder platoon (specializing in recon and infiltration), Guardian platoon (specializing in fighting Sith and heavy weapons), and Tech platoon (specializing in electronics and vehicular warfare).

As the threat of the Sith diminished the Jedi Commandos adapted to being employed in counter-intelligence operations, rooting out Sith Assassin remnants, rebel cells, assisting sector forces locate and destroy dangerous underworld groups, or eliminating high priority targets identified by the Republic military or Jedi Order.

Because the Jedi Commandos used the Republic Commando strike first doctrine they were always viewed with some skepticism by the more hard line Council Members who had concerns that the Jedi Commandos might lead their members to the Dark Side. The Jedi Commandos were nevertheless seen as vital to the Jedi Order's survival. To placate the concerns of the hard line Council Members every two years Jedi Commandos underwent evaluation of their Force alignment. Any Jedi who failed to be satisfactorily light sided would be deactivated and spend a year under close supervision of the Council. After that year the Jedi would be reevaluated and either returned to their unit or be discharged from the Commandos and redistributed at the Council's discretion.

As time wore on the Jedi Commando ranks became dominated by Grey Jedi. Many opponents of the Jedi Commandos noted that the threat of the Sith Assassins was all but gone which led to questions as to whether there were any credible threats left in the galaxy that a single Jedi Shadow could not handle equally well. Additionally, many opponents of the Jedi Commandos noted how during the Mandalorian Wars the close knit military units serving under Revan had proved especially vulnerable to conversion to the Dark Side after their charismatic Jedi General fell and it was suggested that the tightly knit militaristic organization of Jedi Commandos were similarly vulnerable. These factors all contributed to a growing hostility towards the Jedi Commandos by 3,802 BBY.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:32 am Reply with quote  

Looks good.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:29 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

I'm digging it. I have a question of clarification: how are you defining regimental strength? What numbers are we talking, here?

And another thought I'm having. I was reminded of the organisation Lucien Draay started up in the hunting down of Sith and dark side artefacts. Do you think the commandos would be used by Draay in this pursuit (perhaps not by their choice? And they thought it was a thing beneath their skillset?)? If so, it could add a bit more to their backstory.

Neither of these are criticisms, let me be clear. I'm quite liking your history Smile
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:08 pm Reply with quote  

Ok first to answer how I'm defining "regimental strength" I've created a chart that breaks down each unit size in the Jedi Commandos (numbers were taken from Wikipedia so if people have a more reliable source let me know):

Flight/Fireteam: 4 Jedi

Squad: 8 Jedi

Platoon: 4 Squads (32 Jedi)

Company: 3 Platoons (96 Jedi)

Battalion: 4-10 Companies (384-960 Jedi)

Regiment: 2-5 Battalions (768-4800 Jedi)

I've given a range to allow some flexibility in the story telling. Namely at the time of KOTOR 2 the Jedi Commandos were at their peak strength and as the threat of the Sith Assassins declines the number of Jedi Commandos also declines.

As for Lucien Draay I'm not super familiar with his story. However, there sounds like some interesting potential there. With regard to Draay employing the commandos against their will I'm reminded of the Dark Brotherhood (a guild of assassins) questline from TES IV: Oblivion where your character is given targets to assassinate via dead drops. By the end of the questline you discover that someone has been using the dead drops to manipulate you into unknowingly kill off the leaders of the guild.

I'm not sure how well this idea could translate but perhaps Draay approached the Jedi Commandos who did think it was beneath them. Draay, not giving up easily, then manipulated them through informants to hunt the relics he desired? I'm not really sure where it would go from there or if that sort of scenario is even plausible but you've raised some interesting possibilities.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:47 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Alright, guys! Never fear, I am about to return to the land of the RPG living. Sorry to be away so long. Give me a day or so to get caught up on all posts and to construct my own, and I shall be back in the swing of things. Looking forward to it. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:56 pm Reply with quote  

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
Alright, guys! Never fear, I am about to return to the land of the RPG living. Sorry to be away so long. Give me a day or so to get caught up on all posts and to construct my own, and I shall be back in the swing of things. Looking forward to it. Smile

*cheers* Welcome back!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:19 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Salaris Vorn wrote:

*cheers* Welcome back!

Quick question- how long has the shuttle been on the surface of Sullust (sp)?

My last couple posts had Bream contacting Graves with a full report- has more time than that passed? How long have they been down there?

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:57 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

illogicalRogue2 wrote:
Salaris Vorn wrote:

*cheers* Welcome back!

Quick question- how long has the shuttle been on the surface of Sullust (sp)?

My last couple posts had Bream contacting Graves with a full report- has more time than that passed? How long have they been down there?

I think you RPGers missed my question. I need to lock in times for Graves to come back into the story

-
-

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:40 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Hey, sorry. Did miss your question. I believe it's only been a few days, at most. But my memories on the matter are jumbled.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:38 pm Reply with quote  

well if I recall right we had never really established an exact time frame. But I believe that it's only been a matter of hours between the recue party landing and finding Jayda. I believe though it was at least implied that Jayda had been there for a day or two longer though.

At any rate I had a plan of using Jax's angring of the Knights of Pain to make us unable to use the rescue shuttle to get off world so we can then escape on the XS freighter you (Mara) had requested way back.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:45 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Salaris Vorn wrote:
well if I recall right we had never really established an exact time frame. But I believe that it's only been a matter of hours between the recue party landing and finding Jayda. I believe though it was at least implied that Jayda had been there for a day or two longer though.

At any rate I had a plan of using Jax's angring of the Knights of Pain to make us unable to use the rescue shuttle to get off world so we can then escape on the XS freighter you (Mara) had requested way back.

May I suggest then that we round it to at least a day if.not two down there. Maybe even.send a team to sabotage the.rescue shuttle when the group realizes they are leaving it behind.

Another thing- Modero what is going to happen there? He disappears quietly amd we focus on finding Reaver?

-
-

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Roleplaying

Page 36 of 37