Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Gaming View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:59 am Reply with quote  

Taral-DLOS wrote:

What unlocks are you referring to? I thought that if you went F2P, then you used Cartel Coins to buy weekly passes, not account-wide unlocks. Maybe I missed something though.

They have unlocks for more quickslot bars, crew skills, you have to buy permission to use any artifact level equipment not already bound to you. There are also fluff things like "unify colors."

But basically I'd be buying the unlocks like quickslot bars so my actual game play wouldn't be impacted. It might lack all of the fluff (unify colors etc.) that you get with a subscription but as long as my actual gameplay wasn't hampered that would be the key. Basically make sure I wouldn't have to switch how I actually play the game because of fewer quickslot bars or some other feature that can directly impact gameplay.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:58 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm downloading TOR now with hopes of playing tonight. My username right now is SephG... Is that going to be my character's name or do I make a new name for that?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:10 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

You'll create a character name, but realize it can only be one word, essentially your first name. Once you get to a higher level in the game, you'll unlock your Legacy name, which will serve as your last name. So keep that in mind when coming up with a character name.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:37 pm Reply with quote  

As some of you may have seen if you have a TOR Security Key you get a (monthly) 100 Cartel Coins. Which is nice incentive to activate a security key if you have one.

Now my (technical) curious question: I get that the number generated by the Security Key each time you use it is a 1 time use and only active for 30 seconds. But how does the game launcher/website know the difference between 1 of those codes and a bunch of randomly generated numbers? It's just been a curious puzzlement to me since I don't see how a physical security key (presumably without a wireless connection) could comminicate a randomly generated number so the game launcher/webiste could defrentiate between a legit number and an unauthentic number created by any random number generating program.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:57 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

There's a cipher associated with it. I don't fully understand it, but basically the device is associated with the account, and the cipher is too. SWTOR knows the digits that are displaying on your device, and will expect the digits from your key. You can't use any old security key, it has to be yours (associated with your email address).
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:46 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

An attempt at a confusing explanation:

When you associate your key with your account, an algorithm is applied to both that takes time into account. So the key being generated by your token is the same key being generated by your account at all times. It may go by time of day or some such to keep in sync. It's a pretty brilliant idea, assuming no one cracks the algorithm. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:43 pm Reply with quote  

thanks guys for your clear explinations! that solves quite a bit of pondering!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:23 pm Reply with quote  

EDIT: I've recently found out that various unlocks are being sold by players on the GTN. while most cost at least 200K credits (more for account wide unlocks) if a person wants to unsubscribe it might be beneficial to see if you can pick up any unlocks on the GTN for credits to further cut costs. This could also be a good way for a subscriber to buy unlocks for a family member/friend at no extra cost (since you can mail/gift these items).

So what with my school work I've been looking at the cost/benefit of a subscription versus F2P. I compiled some numbers and thought I'd pass it on here for those of you who may also have similar thoughts.

Source for prices: http://dulfy.net/2012/10/23/swtor-cartel-market-items/#3

Artifact Equipment: 1200 (character) *2 = 2400/2700 (account)

Crew Member Appearance: 325 (character) * 2 = 650/725 (account)

Event Equipment: 175 (character) *2 = 350/400 (account)

Quickbar: 540/bar (account) *2 = 1080 EDIT:Preferred status will automatically grant 4 quick slot bars, which would give people the total number of bars prior to F2P launch. Thus I no longer recommend buying these unlocks unless you want 5-6 quickslot bars without subscribing; I would still recommend the account wide unlock as the most cost efficient.

Crew Skill: 420 (character) * 2 = 840/945 (account) (Preferred Status already gets 2 Crew Skills so you only need to purchase 1 more to unlock all 3 Crew Skill slots)

Hide Head Slot: 350 (character) * 2 = 700/775 (account)

Unify Colors: 350 (character) * 2 = 700/775 (account)

Display Legacy Name: 200 (account) (cost is 100 per character so even if you only intend to play 2 characters the account wide price is still more cost efficient; the pricing is the same to Display Titles although I didn't calculate that unlock as personally I don't feel a need to pay to show my titles)

Total for unlocks w/underlines + unlocks w/only bolds: 4440

Total for unlocks bolded values: 4970

40.00 USD buys 5500 Cartel Coins. Without factoring in any savings subscribers may have from complimentary Cartel Coins you are looking at around 40 USD or roughly the equivelant of a 3 month subscription. Keep in mind that a purchase of 5 USD or more in Cartel Coins (or previously having a subscription) bumps you to Preferred Status which unlocks things like the Cargo Hold making those unlocks pointless unless you intend to gift them to someone.

So as you can see if you only have 2 characters (on the entire game) there are places where you can cut costs down by a bit. As I understand it F2P will be made to only permit two active characters per server (unknown if more character slots will be purchasable). In any event that means if you only play on one server some per character purchases options can save you quite a bit. After two characters though the account wide purchase is better. Obviously my underlines/bolds are what I considered to be things I would buy and the price will go up/down depending on your personal preferences (for example I didn't calculate buying extra GTN slots as I rarely sell much there so the Preferred Status limit of 5 active sales is quite acceptable to me).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:39 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Quote:
We’re happy to announce that the next two stops in the Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Community Cantina Tour will be happening on Friday, February 1st in Paris and Saturday, February 2nd in London.

This is your chance to join the European Star War: The Old Republic community for a development team Q&A (featuring Executive Producer Jeff Hickman) as well as complimentary drinks*, food, and giveaways. Every attendee will be receiving a highly coveted Tauntaun Fawn code and a code for a rare item from the Cartel Market.

Additionally, you are invited to join us before the events at the Louvre and the London Film Museum to check out the Star Wars exhibits!** The community team will be outside the museums with a sign so that fans may tour together as a group.

If you’re in the area, make sure to stop by and hang out with us!

- - - - -

In London

Pre-Event Gathering

Venue: London Film Museum

Date: Saturday, February 2nd, 2013

Time: 3PM-5PM GMT

Address: 1 Belvedere Road, Lambeth, Greater London SE1 7, United Kingdom

- - - - -

Main Event Information

Venue: The Slug & Lettuce County Hall

Date: Saturday, February 2nd, 2013

Time: 6PM-10PM GMT

Address: 5 Chicheley Street, London SE1 7PJ, United Kingdom

Any UK-based TOR players going to this? I'll more than likely be heading down there myself. There's a Facebook event for it here for those who have an account:

https://www.facebook.com/events/192700360868292/

You'll need to be over 18 as well
F*** these chains
No damn slave
I will be different!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:23 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Does anyone still play this? I've felt nostalgic for it lately... haven't really played for any appreciable length of time for nearly a year, save one weekend my cousin and I played it with new characters almost like co-op.

I kinda want to do the Imperial Agent storyline. And finish the Smuggler one.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:36 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Still playing here. Have 1 level 50 Jedi Knight, 1 level 52 Jedi Knight and a level 29 Imperial Agent
F*** these chains
No damn slave
I will be different!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:04 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I just started playing, but my comp sucks......... Don't know if I can take these extra low settings for to long.

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:56 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I have a level 50 BH, level 48~ JK (honestly can't remember), level 33~ smuggler, level 27~ consular, level 27~ inquisitor, level 14~ sith warrior, and level 11~ imperial agent.

What server are you guys on? I think I'm on Ebon Hawk, unless there's been further consolidation. I logged in back when F2P first went live and saw that I lost my Sith Warrior's name which made me sad.

I don't think I will play F2P although I guess at this point it is hard to justify the monthly fee. I heard the expansion is cheaper for subscribers so maybe I'll invest a month's fee and purchase the subsidized expansion and give it a whirl.

Luke, why do you have two high level Jedi Knights? Is one a Sentinel and one a Guardian? I think I would prefer PowerTech over Mercenary for BH, but my level 50 BH is a Merc, so I had been tempted to do a new BH, but I just didn't have the willpower to do it and I couldn't justify it when I could play a different story.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:33 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I'm on the Red Eclipse server. I have 2 Jedi Knights (both Guardians) because a) I really liked the story and wanted to play back through and b) now that I'd learnt to play the game with my first character I wanted another that I could do 'right' and try to cut out the mistakes I'd made at first.
F*** these chains
No damn slave
I will be different!

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:05 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I still play periodically, but I went Free to Play. I think I played once in all of April.

It's not that I don't enjoy it anymore, it's just that I don't have as much time to devote to it.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Page 34 of 38