Random Movie Musings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 142, 143, 144 ... 184, 185, 186  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:01 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral-DLOS wrote:
This may be a Star Wars forum, but Wolverine > Qui-Gon Jinn.

Take it back! Evil or Very Mad Razz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:45 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
I presume that he kills everyone in France.

Laughing

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:28 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

And High Jackman's singing is pretty awesome. I still don't like remakes on principle, but you've all convinced me that this will be an improvement.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:02 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
I presume that he kills everyone in France.

Laughing

I so second this!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:34 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
And High Jackman's singing is pretty awesome. I still don't like remakes on principle, but you've all convinced me that this will be an improvement.

Dog, the original Les Mis you saw is also a remake. Just saying Wink I've seen at least 3 versions of Les Mis. I might see this one since it's opera and not a musical where people burst into song in the middle of whatever which is weird. You'd probably lock up your relatives if they constantly did that. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:44 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Yeah, it's odd that in the 40's people didn't complain about the fact that every movie was a remake or based on a book.

I'm waiting for the 3D version of the Ten Commandments.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:47 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Jedi Joe wrote:
Taral-DLOS wrote:
This may be a Star Wars forum, but Wolverine > Qui-Gon Jinn.

Take it back! Evil or Very Mad Razz

I take back NOTHING!! Smile

Regarding remakes, I don't mind the idea of remaking old stories. A few points to that effect:

1- All movies based on books or comics are "remakes". You never see anyone say "Why did they make that movie? The book, like, just came out!"

2- Many remakes adapt the story in different ways. The original short story of Total Recall did not contain Mars. The 1990 movie did. The 2012 movie was closer to the original book. Completely different movies based on the same premise.

3. Actors are different. One man in a role might do it completely different from another man. It allows for different artistic renditions of the same story. This is one of the great benefits of seeing plays or musicals multiple times from multiple troops. Each time is different, because the actors are different and put their own twist on it.

I object more to re-releases in theatres. They cost very little to re-distribute, and they know people will go see the movie again, so it ends up being purely a cash grab. No new story, just seeing again on the big screen (possibly in 3D, which technically adds something, but not $13 worth).

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:42 am Reply with quote  

Killing Them Softly

When I saw the previews for this movie, I thought it looked really interesting. It had Brad Pitt as a hitman and it featured some dark humor (like him complaining about people begging for their lives when he had to kill them, thus he like to kill them from a distance).

The movie certainly had potential. There was a great cast of characters (Brad Pitt, Ray Liotta, James Gandolfini, Richard Jenkins) and all of the actors did a great job. There were a few moments that were truly funny, and most of the scenes did a good job at revealing the characters as interesting, colorful individuals. However the movie failed in two key aspects: it felt disjointed, and the story was incomplete.

For instance James Gandolfini gets a big build up and several large scenes, but all he does is talk in those scenes, and they don't relate to the plot at all. In a way, the director/writer tried to pull of a Quentin Tarantino film and failed. The movie introduces a lot of characters but each of them feel like a mediocre short story. Their individual plot lines were too short. There wasn't enough time for the viewer to truly attach themselves, understand, or enjoy the characters. Brad Pitt's character gets the most attention, but the movie doesn't dig very deep into who he is and what makes him tic.

On top of it all, the musical score for the movie was awful. Almost all of the background sound is political speeches and news broadcasts featuring President Bush and Senator Obama (the setting is during the election campaign between McCain and Obama, but all of the focus is on Obama and Bush). This distracts from the movie but plays into the forced political message that is shoved into the movie. The film ends with Brad Pitt's character making a very pointed political/philosophical statement.

I'd give it a 2.5/5. I wouldn't recommend seeing it in the theater.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:25 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

There is only one word for describing Inception: WOW.
It was simply, mind-boggling awesome! I watched the Oscars where this movie won multiple awards and now I understand why my dad's predictions were always correct.
And the way they built up the tension at the end of the movie, jumping between the dreams, making you wonder if they will make it on time!
Amazing!
Now, I have a question probably every person asked after watching the movie, but I want your opinions Cantina users: Was the last part a dream?! Or are you meant to be kept wondering? Smile

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:12 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Inception is one of my very favourite movies. It's a constant tug of war between Inception and the Dark Knight Trilogy as my favourite movie.

I think the ending was supposed to keep you guessing and I'm not sure if even Christopher Nolan is sure which is which. For me, it's the best of both, because while I wanted a happy ending, the possibility (but not the certainty) that Cobb is still dreaming is beyond intriguing. If I had to guess I would say that the ending isn't a dream, because the top wobbled. True we didn't see it fall, but it never wobbles, as far as we can tell, in Cobb's dreams.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:26 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
If I had to guess I would say that the ending isn't a dream, because the top wobbled. True we didn't see it fall, but it never wobbles, as far as we can tell, in Cobb's dreams.

That also occured to me. It looked like it was on the verge of toppling before the screen went black. A rather interesting ending and a good one as it raises a vivid after-discussion. Too bad the only ones in my house who saw it is my dad (who's now asleep) and me so there's no one to discuss it with. Sad

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:28 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I just saw Inception for the first time as well about a week ago. I would like to think it's real as the top wobbles, as Reep said, but I like how Nolan kept it a mystery. I don't think we'll ever truly know unless there's a sequel. (Which I hope to God that they NEVER make one...)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:35 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Jedi Joe wrote:

I don't think we'll ever truly know unless there's a sequel. (Which I hope to God that they NEVER make one...)

I am SO with you on this one. The movie was great on its own, it doesn't need one. A sequel will just destroy its legacy, if I can call it that.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:02 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

JainaSolo wrote:
Jedi Joe wrote:

I don't think we'll ever truly know unless there's a sequel. (Which I hope to God that they NEVER make one...)

I am SO with you on this one. The movie was great on its own, it doesn't need one. A sequel will just destroy its legacy, if I can call it that.

Its Nolan, he doesn't do sequels. His Batman trilogy was a special occasion but other than that his movies are all standalone.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:44 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

My opinion of Skyfall:
Great movie, disappointing cast.
Yeah, sure, the acting was good and everything, they all did their jobs but I have a few minor appearance problems:

1. Bond isn't blonde, he has a British accent and he is witty and charming.
2. M is a MAN!
3. Moneypenny is supposed to be old.
4. And I miss the old Q!

Furthermore, it was a awesome movie and I enjoyed it very much! Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 143 of 186