Star Wars: Scoundrels by Timothy Zahn
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:38 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

While Choices of One wasn't as great as it could've been, I enjoyed Allegiance quite a bit, and dont really see any problems with it. Zahn has never let me down before (I mean even Choices of One which was my least favorite of his was still a lo better than many books we have.) and I'm hoping he won't now!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:18 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

One of the problems was the blatant trick of making you think that was Thrawn & Jorj when it really wasn't. It didn't seem your typical literary mystery as...well, let me regather my thoughts on that one. I'll go back and find the post where I summed up what was bothersome about it to me. The other problem was how he made Luke look like a total rube again, right off the farm, which doesn't vibe at all with where his character was at in the Empire/Rebellion series. And having Leia basically come up with the maneuver that took down the walkers in ESB didn't seem very realistic to me and kind of undermines Luke, Wedge, and the other pilots' skill sets. She's a diplomat but yet she's teaching pilots how to do their job? And too many Luke-Mara close calls. I mean, how many times are they going to come within feet of each other years before they met? And the crowd taking Luke's lightsaber and playing keep away was one of the dumbest things I've ever read. Of course all this is just my opinion. I love Zahn's writing normally and am a huge fan of the Thrawn trilogy and Duology, liked Outbound Flight a lot, and didn't hate Survivor's Quest or Allegiance, but Choices is one of my least favorite books ever, SW or otherwise. And does anyone else see a pattern in the quality of his books from '91 til now? No? Just me?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:26 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

^^^ O, I was saying I didn't see any problems with Allegiance. With Choices of One there were definitely some problems, the Luke-Mara thing being one of them for me. Honestly, I think he should've just left the rebellion out, and had it focus on Mara nd the hand of of judgment. However, I also think sometimes people set the bar too high for Zahn. I mean yes, he wrote some of the best star wars books ever, bt he's not goin to be able to do that every time, so sometimes I think he takes more flak than is warranted. Im not saying you, as your arguments are fair ones, but I'm just saying in general.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:43 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Mad Wook wrote:
And having Leia basically come up with the maneuver that took down the walkers in ESB didn't seem very realistic to me and kind of undermines Luke, Wedge, and the other pilots' skill sets. She's a diplomat but yet she's teaching pilots how to do their job?

Leia will be an X-Wing pilot in the upcoming Star Wars comic, so that explains why she could come up with a maneuver in Choices of One. I don't think it undermines anyone. It just means she's as good as they are.

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:41 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I'm really looking forward to this book and can't wait to start reading it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:10 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I've got mine on preorder! Can't wait I'm so ready for a big heist type of story in the StarWars world!

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:15 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I am very excited. My birthday is Dec 26 so I already know what I'm getting from the wife!

“Only a master of evil, Darth.”

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:30 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

So the Amazon Vine Program reviews are in. Apparently this is incredible.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:53 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:

It is really good. Vintage Zahn.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:33 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:

Interesting, as the only two reviews I've seen through Twitter have been extremely negative. I hope it's good, though. I loved Choices of One.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:55 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

VileZero wrote:
Caedus_16 wrote:

Interesting, as the only two reviews I've seen through Twitter have been extremely negative. I hope it's good, though. I loved Choices of One.

They're saying it isn't an action packed novel, more of a drama and a layered novel. A lot of SW fans are just used to smash and grab, so I could see how this would disappoint some.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:23 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ Sounds good to me. Smile

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:25 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
They're saying it isn't an action packed novel, more of a drama and a layered novel. A lot of SW fans are just used to smash and grab, so I could see how this would disappoint some.

It's more of a build up and then a lot of action in the last part of the book. I really enjoyed it a lot.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:46 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Cerrinea wrote:
Caedus_16 wrote:

It's more of a build up and then a lot of action in the last part of the book. I really enjoyed it a lot.

Its Oceans 11 SW style, that just sounds built-to-be-awesome

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:07 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

It's Zahn, of course this isn't going to be an all action book. Zahn can do great action scenes, but his true gift is the characterization. If that's what this book ends up being, I'll be one happy fan.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 7 of 9