Free Comic Book Day 2013

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
Free Comic Book Day 2013
 PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:57 pm Reply with quote  

Dark Horse Comics revealed the cover for the Star Wars FCBD 2013 offering (which will have writer Brian Wood and artist Ryan Odagawa). They didn't reveal a blurb, but they did say it will be a Vader/Fett team up.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:02 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

And this will be a definite grab for me

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:22 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I've neer tooken advantage of Free Comic Book Day before. This year, I plan on changing this. Cool

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:44 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
I've neer tooken advantage of Free Comic Book Day before. This year, I plan on changing this. Cool

Good stuff happens there actually, I love FCBD

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:07 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I will, as per usual, be stopping by to pick this up.

I'm annoyed though that only one of the 8 comic shops in town participates. And thus limits all visitors to a single free comic (five years ago everyone was allowed 4, and to purchase any number they wanted after that - somehow they never ran out)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:38 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth_Henning wrote:

I'm annoyed though that only one of the 8 comic shops in town participates. And thus limits all visitors to a single free comic (five years ago everyone was allowed 4, and to purchase any number they wanted after that - somehow they never ran out)

We have 2 that participate, and they only allow us two comics apiece and we have to make purchases to get the second one...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:49 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
Darth_Henning wrote:

We have 2 that participate, and they only allow us two comics apiece and we have to make purchases to get the second one...

Interesting. I always wondered if it was centrally regulated or up to the stores. Seems to be up to the stores then.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:20 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth_Henning wrote:
Caedus_16 wrote:
Darth_Henning wrote:

Interesting. I always wondered if it was centrally regulated or up to the stores. Seems to be up to the stores then.

Well the point of it is to bring in new business or draw attention to genres you might not be into already. Thus each shop will try to use it to their advantage. They receive certain amounts of copies and it just kind of winds up being up to them how many to give away, but overall its up to the shops to decide how best to use it to their advantage. Some stores don't give them away for free at all, you have to make at least a purchase to get them back at all.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:06 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
Darth_Henning wrote:
Caedus_16 wrote:
Darth_Henning wrote:

Well the point of it is to bring in new business or draw attention to genres you might not be into already. Thus each shop will try to use it to their advantage. They receive certain amounts of copies and it just kind of winds up being up to them how many to give away, but overall its up to the shops to decide how best to use it to their advantage. Some stores don't give them away for free at all, you have to make at least a purchase to get them back at all.

Makes sense. Though I wonder how limited the copies really are. I know the last few years my shop has comics out from 3 to 5 years ago that they put out in addition to (or in place of) the new free comic books. (I don't believe they get reissued).

Admittedly, its up to them to use the day to get what advantage they can, but the ones that require a purchase don't really seem to be in the spirit of things.

That said, I digress. I've picked up every free comic book day star wars comic, and they've in general been pretty good. I hope this year's lives up, even though I am getting a little tired of the "vader and fett" team ups around ANH.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:19 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I understand that the issue is that the comic book stores still need to buy the issues (though probably not at the normal rate). If a store doesn't expect to get that many people in for FCBD, then it doesn't make sense to waste money on it.

A few years ago, my usual shop didn't do FCBD. Indeed, that year, only one store in my city did. But since then, my normal shop does it always. In fact, they usually take the Star Wars and the Buffy issues out and set them in my file for me.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 1