Goodbye Dark Horse Comics?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goodbye Dark Horse Comics?
 PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:42 am Reply with quote  

Blue Sky Disney is reporting that 2014 will be the last year for Dark Horse Star Wars comics, and that Marvel will be taking over in 2015.

Link: http://www.blueskydisney.com/2012/12/a-marvelous-dark-horse.html

Thoughts?

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:50 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

We knew this would happen. I'm not sure if I'm fully against it, but we knew it would happen.

I've been underwhelmed by some SW comics lately. Dawn of the Jedi and Agent of the Empire are great, but other than that I haven't been super impressed other than the Vader mini-series. I dunno, we'll just have to see how it goes (and how these new Legacy comics go)

Re: Goodbye Dark Horse Comics?
 PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:30 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Blue Sky Disney is reporting that 2014 will be the last year for Dark Horse Star Wars comics, and that Marvel will be taking over in 2015.

Link: http://www.blueskydisney.com/2012/12/a-marvelous-dark-horse.html

Thoughts?

My thoughts? A blog hosted by Blogspot posted conjecture with no sources or information to back it up.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:05 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

There's no credible citation in the piece, and no confirmation from any of the concerned parties so. It's certainly within the realm of possibilities, but until it's confirmed, I'm taking this with a grain of salt.

And it's a really slow news week*. Draw your own conclusions. Very Happy

*Slow news week for Star Wars news.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:52 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Randy Stradley just said this on the Dark Horse discussion boards.

Quote:
...don't believe everything you read on the internet.

I honestly hope this Marvel rumor is false. I want to see Star Wars stay with DH.

Link: http://is.gd/kxeiux

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:31 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Glad to hear the word on this here. It's been posted elsewhere too, but with different information.
The absurd man thus catches sight of a burning and frigid, transparent and limited universe in which nothing is possible but everything is given, and beyond which all is collapse and nothingness. He can then decide to accept such a universe and draw from it his strength, his refusal to hope, and the unyielding evidence of a life without consolation.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:04 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I do agree the source here isn't anything amazing, the idea probably isn't too far off. DH has the license until 2013-- I believe that means any running series get to continue to they finish, even if it's after 2013 although I'm not entirely sure. Marvel is a strong place to have it, if only because they are more reliable in terms of releasing. Only time and an official announcement will tell, however.

New to the forums? Introduce yourself in the Spaceport!

Need help? Please feel free to post in Feedback & Suggestions

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:32 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Honestly? I haven't been too keen on some of the comics DHC has released these past few months. I disagree with the decisions to cancel Invasion (which I loved), Knight Errant (which was improving), and Lost Tribe (barely given a chance, and wrapped far too quickly for my tastes). I've dropped Dark Times and Legacy (though the latter I might try in trades). Dawn of the Jedi is original, and I'm going to give Star Wars ongoing a shot, and I LOVE the omnibuses. But quality has dipped, and I'd be for a change in direction.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:57 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Take this with a grain of salt until something concrete proves or disproves it, but according to this post on the Literature section of the TF.N boards under the thread "Redundant, Counter-Productive Speculation Time: Randy Stradley teases a "huge announcement", , page 9, a much hyped upcoming comics announcement by Randy Stradley may be getting the axe:

TheForce.net Main Page News of the Future said:

Rumor: Disney Cancels Rumored Dark Horse Announcement?

One ostensible source familiar with the rumored ongoing developments at Lucasfilm has reportedly told us through morse code written on the subway walls that Disney has apparently cancelled the previously-conjectured Dark Horse announcement that may or may not have had purportedly ground-breaking ramifications for the comic's supposedly ongoing franchise.

When asked to clarify, Randy Stradley, Dark Horse's current Vice President of Publishing, was rumored to have possibly tweeted: "[sic]Everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We'll all fine here now, thank you. How are you?"

TFN will continue to provide updates on this story as it develops.

After seeing this post, I immediately went to TF.N's news page to look for this article, but there is no such article on the Latest News page. So either this poster is flat out lying, or the announcement just hasn't been posted on the News page yet: hence why I said to take it with a grain of salt.

If it's not true then we have nothing to worry about. But if it is true ... well, let me just say the news of all these cancellations is getting a little tiresome. I don't really care about the video games or Detours and TCW couldn't have gone on much longer without running into real problems, but why so many, so fast? I understand they want to focus on the Sequel Trilogy, but all these cancellations in less than a month is just too much. What next, will they cancel Kemp's duology, Golden's SOTJ trilogy, the Rebels Series, and Maul: Lockdown?

Just ... slow down!

Edit: Still nothing on TF.N, but the corresponding announcement thread on the DH boards has now been inexplicably locked. Don't know what to make of this at all ... what is going on?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:18 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Also nothing on Randy Stradley's Twitter feed going back to December.
www.FanboysTalking.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:09 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

This is what Randy posted on the DH forums on Thursday.

Quote:
by Randy Stradley 21 Mar 2013, 06:50

I apologize for jumping the gun on the announcement of the announcement. I really had no idea this process would take so long. Clearly not happening this week. Maybe next?

Gah.

Randy Stradley
Dark Horse Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:28 pm Reply with quote  

That TFN post sounds pretty tongue-in-cheek.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 1