What Book are you reading now? (Other than Star Wars)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 78, 79, 80 ... 109, 110, 111  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:49 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Life of Pi by Yann Martel.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:09 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Finished I, Robot. I quite liked it, though it had its faults. I also wasn't too happy about the last two or so short stories in it. It was a nice examination of the Three Laws of Robotics, and its limitations, as well as robots as sapient (cheers for the reminder, Taral! I continuously make this mistake, even though I am aware of the difference) beings.

Now reading Ringworld by Larry Niven.

EDIT: I should clarify that the last story was certainly quite good, as an exploration of free will and the definition of humanity. It's just that I was hoping for something more along the lines of 'robot personhood'.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:43 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Mr Anakin wrote:
I've just finished reading the Molly Moon books by Georgia Byng. The first and last are the best, but all are great. I hope there'll be more of them in the future.

The last? I thought Micky Minus and the Mind Machine was the best. I read it three times in one week. I waas crazy about that one! And if you look at the end of The Monster Music it ends in a way which seems to me like there won't really be another one. Sad

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:11 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Started on The Host, so far so good. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:38 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Alternating between Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen and How God Became King by N. T. Wright.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:47 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The Hardy Boys: The Mark on the Door. Started rereading the series with The Tower Treasure two days before Christmas and hope to finish with The Sting of the Scorpion on February 18th. That's a rate of one book a day.

Last edited by Alan Skywalker V on Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:47 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
...and How God Became King by N. T. Wright.

Let me know how that is, I've been wanting to read it. I'm assuming its outstanding but you know, gotta hear a review.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:07 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Alan Skywalker V wrote:
The Hardy Boys: The Mark on the Door. Started rereading the series with The Tower Treasure two days before Christmas and hope to finish with The Sting of the Scorpion on February 18th. That's a rate of one book a day.

Oh, my gosh! I've read all of those! Major nostalgia fest going on over here. Cool

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:30 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
Reepicheep wrote:
...and How God Became King by N. T. Wright.

Let me know how that is, I've been wanting to read it. I'm assuming its outstanding but you know, gotta hear a review.

Have you read any other books by N. T. Wright?

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:47 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The Time Machine by H.G. Wells on my Nexus. I actually prefer reading ebooks to physical paper books. Call me sacrilegious! Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:57 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Blasphemer!

Actually I got a kindle for xmas and I am reading a book on there, but I still have some anachronistic wood shavings to get through.

1. A Song Of Ice And Fire book three. Mind Blown, TV show spoiled.

2. Chronicles of Narnia. I just can't get through A Horse And His Boy. Some people have said it's the best book in the series. I couldn't agree less, it may ruin the series for me. Narnia is just one country in a world full of non magical ***hole humans!? What in the world was Lewis thinking writing this?

3. The Illuminati Papers by Robert Anton Wilson on kindle. A collection of essays by the author who is a social critic incorporating ideas from Bucky Fuller's design technology and Alfred Korzybski and Dr. Timothy Leary's neurolinguistics. Reading about dated tech ideas is really depressing. He's talking about all these projects that people were working on in the early days of public internet in the nineties and now it's mostly just another tool for cheap media consumption.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:58 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
2. Chronicles of Narnia. I just can't get through A Horse And His Boy. Some people have said it's the best book in the series. I couldn't agree less, it may ruin the series for me. Narnia is just one country in a world full of non magical ***hole humans!? What in the world was Lewis thinking writing this?

Now, you know I need to comment on this. Wink

However before I do I need to know what exactly your problem with The Horse and His Boy is. Is it the "racism" or is it just that you don't like the idea of their being more than one country in the "other world"?

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:09 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
Blasphemer!

Actually if you read it in release order (versus chronological) then the other countries of humans are mentioned a lot. Narnia is special in that its animals talk, but not all of the humans are awful. The end of Horse and His Boy shows that its only the southerners that are super-warlike and vicious towards everyone.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:00 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
Blasphemer!

Actually if you read it in release order (versus chronological) then the other countries of humans are mentioned a lot. Narnia is special in that its animals talk, but not all of the humans are awful. The end of Horse and His Boy shows that its only the southerners that are super-warlike and vicious towards everyone.

And not all Southerners are like that as Aravis and Emeth make clear. I think that Calormen is the perfect villain for Narnia. Narnia is the small country that stays within its own borders and only fights in defence of its land, but Calormen is an empire (as far as we know the largest territory in that world) that gorges itself on conquest and the lives of the conquered.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:04 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm reading Grant Morrison's Supergods. Its a sociological and psychological study of the superhero phenomenon in our culture and a look at it versus the pantheon of old gods and the change of the mindsets towards those things. Really brilliant.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 79 of 111