What Book are you reading now? (Other than Star Wars)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 79, 80, 81 ... 108, 109, 110  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:07 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
I'm reading Grant Morrison's Supergods. Its a sociological and psychological study of the superhero phenomenon in our culture and a look at it versus the pantheon of old gods and the change of the mindsets towards those things. Really brilliant.

That sounds cool. I've ordered it from my library.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:09 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
Caedus_16 wrote:
I'm reading Grant Morrison's Supergods. Its a sociological and psychological study of the superhero phenomenon in our culture and a look at it versus the pantheon of old gods and the change of the mindsets towards those things. Really brilliant.

That sounds cool. I've ordered it from my library.

I think you'll like it. And if you do I have a Grant Morrison reading list from his comic writing if you'd like. He's a DC legend.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:48 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
2. Chronicles of Narnia. I just can't get through A Horse And His Boy. Some people have said it's the best book in the series. I couldn't agree less, it may ruin the series for me. Narnia is just one country in a world full of non magical ***hole humans!? What in the world was Lewis thinking writing this?

Now, you know I need to comment on this. Wink

However before I do I need to know what exactly your problem with The Horse and His Boy is. Is it the "racism" or is it just that you don't like the idea of their being more than one country in the "other world"?

Yeah, just the people. I'm reading them in the stupid order because that's how they are in the book that I have. I know that there are other humans and places in Prince Caspian, but that is like a million years after LWW. I guess I just never thought about it, it made sense in that book.

It's also that I think the characters are all annoying, even the boy isn't that endearing and he's the only one who isn't a jerk. The story is really boring to me too. That more than anything. I'm not trying to rag on Narnia, I liked the other books but this one has been a hard read for me.

What part of it has racism? Is it that Calorman is supposed to be like Arabia? I really haven't noticed anything there.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:18 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
Reepicheep wrote:
Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
2. Chronicles of Narnia. I just can't get through A Horse And His Boy. Some people have said it's the best book in the series. I couldn't agree less, it may ruin the series for me. Narnia is just one country in a world full of non magical ***hole humans!? What in the world was Lewis thinking writing this?

Now, you know I need to comment on this. Wink

However before I do I need to know what exactly your problem with The Horse and His Boy is. Is it the "racism" or is it just that you don't like the idea of their being more than one country in the "other world"?

Yeah, just the people. I'm reading them in the stupid order because that's how they are in the book that I have. I know that there are other humans and places in Prince Caspian, but that is like a million years after LWW. I guess I just never thought about it, it made sense in that book.

It's also that I think the characters are all annoying, even the boy isn't that endearing and he's the only one who isn't a jerk. The story is really boring to me too. That more than anything. I'm not trying to rag on Narnia, I liked the other books but this one has been a hard read for me.

What part of it has racism? Is it that Calorman is supposed to be like Arabia? I really haven't noticed anything there.

Calorman is more like Mongolia in terms of society and look. Horse and His Boy is actually my least favorite of the series, but its hailed as the best by many so I'm right there with you.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:47 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Last night I finished Avengers vs. X-Men. Great story. Issue 11 was my favourite;

I loved how they did the death of Prof. X. They probably won't keep him dead permanently, but it was well executed.

The books really showed how Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely; a great theme for the whole miniseries.

Though it now appears I need to check out AvX Consequences, since there's something of a discontinuity between where the characters are at the end of AvX and the beginning of All-New X-Men.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:50 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:

For me The Horse and His Boy was an aquired taste. I didn't like it so much at first, because in some ways it didn't feel like a Narnia book, mainly because of the setting, but it has really grown on me and I now adore it. The Narnia books are very rewarding re-reads.

I think I like Aravis better than Shasta, because for some reason I'm often partial to prideful characters (and Lewis writes prideful characters so well), and I love the two horses, especially Bree. I think the grown-up, Olde English-speaking Pevensies are beyond awesome, but then I'm also partial to medieval romances. Shasta has some really good moments towards the end.

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:

Whenever someone criticizes HHB, I assume it has something to do with the dark-skinned Calormenes as villains, because that is one of the most criticized parts of the series. Even though a Calormene is one of the heroes.

I wouldn't let HHB get you down if you don't like it, because there's some great books and characters further along in the series (at least don't stop until you read about Reepicheep and Puddleglum Wink ).

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:56 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Ok this is a safe space right...?

Has anybody else been keeping up with The Amazing Spider-Man? Because just...&^%($@&*%$%@$#&(*^%&$@(*!!!!!

Seriously, that is some of the worst writing and dumbest ideas I've ever read on page.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:03 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I haven't been reading it, but I thought the idea for #700 and Superior Spider-Man were kinda cool.

I strongly suspect though that it will not be permanent. Permanent deaths are rare in comics to begin with, and Peter Parker's been our guy for 51 years. He'll be back.

I won't be buying Superior Spider-Man (always been more of an X-Men guy, so I'm buying most of the new X-Men titles and a handful of others; Spider-Man didn't make the cut). But I'll keep reading and listening to reviews, and may check out the TPB when the first arc is done.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:21 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral-DLOS wrote:
I haven't been reading it, but I thought the idea for #700 and Superior Spider-Man were kinda cool.

I strongly suspect though that it will not be permanent. Permanent deaths are rare in comics to begin with, and Peter Parker's been our guy for 51 years. He'll be back.

I won't be buying Superior Spider-Man (always been more of an X-Men guy, so I'm buying most of the new X-Men titles and a handful of others; Spider-Man didn't make the cut). But I'll keep reading and listening to reviews, and may check out the TPB when the first arc is done.

Honestly its been fairly painful. I picked up the first issue of Superior and they aren't even attempting to hide that fact that Parker is coming back, but Ock is vulgar, childish, and obnoxious. There's nothing that makes the reader care about the book. I dunno, it didn't work out and its been a fairly terrible execution of an already bad idea so far.

For those of you who are out of the loop its a good ol' fashioned body swappin' story ladies and gentlemen.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:33 am Reply with quote  

Reading Mr. Twilight by Maya Kathryn Bohnhoff and Michael Reaves. It's kind of a mix between a heaven and hell fantasy and a lovecraftian horror story. Odd mix but extremely intriguing. It's hard to put it down.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:38 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

JainaSolo wrote:
Mr Anakin wrote:
I've just finished reading the Molly Moon books by Georgia Byng. The first and last are the best, but all are great. I hope there'll be more of them in the future.

The last? I thought Micky Minus and the Mind Machine was the best. I read it three times in one week. I waas crazy about that one! And if you look at the end of The Monster Music it ends in a way which seems to me like there won't really be another one. Sad

Ah, sorry. With 'last', I meant The Morphing Mystery, didn't know there was The Monster Music. And I agree, with the end it seems to be the last one. Got Monster Music as a Christmas gift. Smile

You must feel the force around you.
Everywhere.

~Yoda~

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:10 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I wanted to make a sarcastic joke about Spiderman being a gay black muslim and something about Obama, but I just couldn't bring forth the effort. If only I was Seth Mcfarlene, then I could get away with it.

Stewie: spiderman gay black muslim

Peter: Obama!

audience: lol
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:58 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
I wanted to make a sarcastic joke about Spiderman being a gay black muslim and something about Obama, but I just couldn't bring forth the effort. If only I was Seth Mcfarlene, then I could get away with it.

Stewie: spiderman gay black muslim

Peter: Obama!

audience: lol

I actually really like Miles Morales, I think he's a bold step for Marvel. Their Ultimate universe has been better than 616 main universe for years.

Nothing drives that further home than Superior Spider-Man...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:33 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I don't know anything about Spiderman. Well, I know that racists were mad about something and that Spiderman meeting Obama was dumb, but nothing new for dumb things in comic books.

It was bored at 4 AM and too much caffeine.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:35 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

double post.

Last edited by Dog-Poop_Walker on Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 80 of 110