New To EU Star Wars Lore
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
New To EU Star Wars Lore
 PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:07 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I've recently read 8 eu books so far. Starting with Ep. 4 through 6, and following with Truce at Bakura, Courtship of Princess Leia, The Mandalorian Armour, and Shadows of the Empire. I figured I'd just jump right in. I've never read any of the lore before.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:20 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

My friend, you have wandered into a massive and wonderful world

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:30 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Yea, it's a bit overwhelming.. there are an insane amount of books. Luckily there's a discount store that sales a lot of em for cheap. But I come in all like, hey yea the movies are cool. and start reading the books. and im like... drowning in a sea of story. They're hard to put down. o__o

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:43 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

KMathyzer wrote:
Yea, it's a bit overwhelming.. there are an insane amount of books. Luckily there's a discount store that sales a lot of em for cheap. But I come in all like, hey yea the movies are cool. and start reading the books. and im like... drowning in a sea of story. They're hard to put down. o__o

Keep going. Catching up if you like the story isn't hard. Plus if you're enjoying the Bantam Spectra stuff you're gonna love the early Del Rey stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:54 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Do the movie novelizations count as EU? I guess since they are novels, they're EU but the story is from the movies, which isn't.

I think the best and easiest approach to getting into the novels is to pick ones that are about characters you already know and are interested in. If you've seen the movies and know the characters, then you can pick up almost any SW novel and understand what is going on, even if you haven't read other stories.

With the possible exception of the NJO series since it is the longest consecutive storyline. I think that if you had some idea of who the characters are you could follow along OK, but I'm not sure how easily accessible that would be to randomly jump in.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:52 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Yea I have like ten more already I havnt read yet. They're all pretty close to the timeline. I'm trying to follow the timeline for now. But eventually I wanna get into the clone wars. But there are so many directions to go. I have the han solo trilogy and adventures I'll get to eventually.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:43 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
Do the movie novelizations count as EU? I guess since they are novels, they're EU but the story is from the movies, which isn't.

Some of the novelizations bring so much more to the table. RotS is basically a full EU book on its own from how much it works without the movie.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:49 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Welcome to the fandom!!!! This is a great place for information, with great people!!

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:20 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Thanks, I plan on reading a lot. I find that I hardly know anyone who reads anything about Star Wars so it's nice to talk about it with someone.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:01 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I can't imagine the movie novelizations are EU. Nor ar they part of the Lucasverse. They are...something else. Which explains their problematic canon placement.

Their problem being how they were based on the movie scripts, and thus exempt from all the normal EU involvement by Lucas Licensing, only to be overridden by the movies because of script changes. The novelizations are just weird all around.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:56 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

DarthMRN wrote:
I can't imagine the movie novelizations are EU. Nor ar they part of the Lucasverse. They are...something else. Which explains their problematic canon placement.

Their problem being how they were based on the movie scripts, and thus exempt from all the normal EU involvement by Lucas Licensing, only to be overridden by the movies because of script changes. The novelizations are just weird all around.

Honestly I consider Stover's novelization canon. The rest of them are up in the air to me, but that one is so much more than the film could ever be, and it has earned its place as a EU novel.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:19 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Actually the movie novelizations are written from the movie scripts. They include scenes that don't make it into the final movie cut. They are completely canon.

As well, Lucas worked closely with Stover for the ROTS novelization.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:45 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Cerrinea wrote:
Actually the movie novelizations are written from the movie scripts. They include scenes that don't make it into the final movie cut. They are completely canon.

While I love RotS its too bad Lucas's writing didn't have half the depth and intensity (not to mention character work) that Stover's did...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:49 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Though it's my least favorite movie for certain reasons, the AOTC novel had some good extended intro. Especially that scene where the moisture farmers are going after Shmi and they get caught by the Tuskens' razor wire.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:32 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
Cerrinea wrote:

While I love RotS its too bad Lucas's writing didn't have half the depth and intensity (not to mention character work) that Stover's did...

^This

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 2