Gripe of the Day
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 182, 183, 184 ... 197, 198, 199  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:24 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

^ LoL! Did they know you we're in the middle?!

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:01 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Dodgy Amazon sellers Mad .
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:13 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Every time I put a ^ to comment on the post above, rather than quoting.......... I start a new page.....

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:04 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Ugh! This is the perfect place to vent about my beyond awful day at school.

As I said yesterday the vacation is over and it's time for me to go back to school. The first thing that ruined my day is that I have been placed in the same class as my arch nemesis (Evil or Very Mad) and my ex boyfriend (so you can only guess how awkward that is Confused). The second thing is my new English teacher.
The first thing I thought at the end of the class was: "Miss, what do you think this place is? A high school or a military school?!"
We are not allowed to do the following there:
-Compliment her on her clothes
-Ask how her weekend was
-Go to the bathroom or leave the classroom for whatever reason
-Slouch
-Check the time on our phones
-Ask to change seats
-Get below 80% on a test otherwise we FAIL!
I can almost swear she grinned deviously when we exchanged horrified expressions!
And at the end of the day I didn't even see my best friend Jonathan, who arrived as a new student at my school today. Sad

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:55 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Is this a college? And I'm pretty sure she can't do several of those things, like not allow you to go to the bathroom, or flunk you if you get below an 80. If the school doesn't have a forced curve, I'm pretty sure she just can't arbitrarily have one.

Seriously though, I'd just bail on that class, get a refund and find another one taught by someone else. Oh yeah and report her.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:09 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Nope this isn't college it's high school. She won't allow us to go to the bathoom cause she says we're supposed to before the class. Luckily she does't flunk us but she gives us detention. She said: "Last year, everyone in my class got 80% or higher for English at the end of the year, I'm going to make sure you do too!"
And the principal AND my dad actually LIKES this teacher!! Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:16 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Agreed a complaint is in order! That list makes for one bad teacher, but the first two points just makes for a rude and nasty person in general! Bail and refund! If we are talking high school one phone call from a parent can make any change a possibility.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:34 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Ugh, I wish! As I said: my dad actually approves of her teaching method!

Just wish me luck guys! Tomorrow I'm gonna try to ask her if I can at least move two seats to the front, because I can't see on the board, even with my glasses on. If I don't give an update on my mission in two days you'll know I decided climbing Mount Everest would be easier and more successful. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:00 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

JainaSolo wrote:
Ugh, I wish! As I said: my dad actually approves of her teaching method!

Just wish me luck guys! Tomorrow I'm gonna try to ask her if I can at least move two seats to the front, because I can't see on the board, even with my glasses on. If I don't give an update on my mission in two days you'll know I decided climbing Mount Everest would be easier and more successful. Wink

Not trying to get your hopes up, but I had a similar experience with my high school teacher once. The first day my class met him, he threatened us with things, shout at us for no reason and things like that.

Turned out latter that he was just acting. It was a bluff, a psychological thing to have an authority over a bunch of 16y.o. kids for a few weeks.

He pulled "a reverse Palpatine" on us.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:15 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I remember some of that stuff from highschool. The no bathroom thing is ludicrous. No adult ever has to be put in that situation. Even when getting arrested, police officers will let you use the bathroom!

Some kids are just punks and it can't be helped, but even most of the ones that act out do so because school is not engaging to them on their level and that is the failure of a teacher. Unfortunately school before college is less about actual learning and more about training kids to the process of having to submit to authority figures, because that is what you will have to do for pretty much everyone once you become an adult.

The only good thing is that the judgement of your peers that matters so much in school means just about nothing afterwards.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:34 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Hogy, I think you were right about the whole psychological thing. Today she was't nearly as nasty as she was yesterday! I think she just put up the whole "don't you dare mess with me" act to let us know who is in charge.

And as for my little situation, I didn't even have to ask her! I subtly moved two seats to the front without her even noticing! I decided it was easier than asking her or climbing Mount Everest!Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:22 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

@Jaina: I had a nightmare chemistry teacher last semester. Basically if you were good at sports or science, you got on his good side. I'm not good at either. If you were doing something wrong during an experiment, he would broadcast it to the entire room. He loved to make you feel like an idiot and embarass you in front of the class. And he rarely helped you with anything; he just offered unhelpful pep talks like "Man up, and learn some chemistry!" He assaulted the kids with poor grades with questions he knew they couldn't answer (and every last one of them was a good kid; they weren't slackers, they just weren't good at chemistry). And, yes, he did the no bathroom thing too (unless of course you were on of his straight A or sports jock pets). He was a jerk.

Just remember: suffering builds character. Wink

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:34 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Thanks Reep! It feels nice to hear about other bad experiences with nasty teachers. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who has/had a teacher from hell!
My maths teacher from last year was exactly the opposite: he was this weird emo guy in his early fourties who had the complexion of Rowan Atkinson. All he practically did was give us the work, explain the new stuff one or two times then leave us alone and go outside for a smoke break...the whole darn period! The slackers obviously saw this as a chance to make a mess and go crazy giving us (the nerds) no time to finish our work! Thank goodness he moved last year and isn't teaching at our school anymore!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:53 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I recommend making a game of it. In both high school and university my friends and I had much fun finding weird traits and ticks of various teachers and professors and joking about them.

We had a teacher would used the word "Okay" way too much. Okay, like, 2-3 times in a sentence, okay?

In uni we had a prof who did three big things: 1- she compulsively adjusted her head-scarf, 2- she used the word "salient" instead of "important", and 3- she always used the phrase "in terms of", in times where it was stupid and redundant (e.g. "You'll need a pen, in terms of writing." What else would I need my pen for?)

It can make the time pass quicker and more humorously if you and a cadre of your friends/classmates know about the trait and smile about it.

It's not nice, admittedly. A lot of people can't control those things. But when your teacher/prof is a pain, it helps.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:46 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral-DLOS wrote:
We had a teacher would used the word "Okay" way too much. Okay, like, 2-3 times in a sentence, okay?

My middle school maths teacher always did this! Laughing

My gripe: Almost freaked out when someone told me my school is burning down. Now I despise people who make a mountain out of a mole hill. Something (apparently it was lighting) caused two classrooms to burn down, not the whole flipping school! Still, it's a loss... Sad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 183 of 199