New Comic Series: Star Wars
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:48 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Stealth Squadron? The name kinda inplys A-wings since they are faster than X-Wings.
Unless it's an imperial name which would be TIE-Interceptors.

I wonder if this will cover the period of .5 - 2 ABY?

"Vote for Papa Palpatine".

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:04 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

SidiousThrawn wrote:
Stealth Squadron? The name kinda inplys A-wings since they are faster than X-Wings.
Unless it's an imperial name which would be TIE-Interceptors.

I wonder if this will cover the period of .5 - 2 ABY?

Stealth =/= speed. If anything, a Stealth fighter should be slower, to give off fewer emissions.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Re: New Comic Series: Star Wars
 PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:01 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

illogicalRogue2 wrote:
Henning- perhaps you or some other timeliner could fill me in. What ARE we dealing with in terms of stories set in this timeframe?

I think it always helps Star Wars Fans to understand what, if anything, is at risk. I mean they didn't say that they were going to knock anything out- but at the same time they said they were going to keep it fresh- and the only way I see that is by telling new stories- and eventually we'll be telling 2 stories at the same time. So potentially what's at risk?

Without quoting things off, let me link you to my timeline:

http://www.eucantina.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1513&highlight=

There is a metric ****-tonne of stuff.

Between 0 and 1 ABY there are approximately 70 works (comic series, novels, junior novels, short stories, games etc).

and between 1 and 2 ABY there are 20 works. (admittedly somewhat more manageable)

Major works include these (Credit to Mad Wook, though I don't entirely agree on the order):

Mad Wook wrote:
Well we're dealing with this:
Rebel Force: Target (YR)
Rebel Force: Hostage (YR)
Empire #16-18: To the Last Man
Rebel Force: Renegade (YR)
Vader's Quest (TPB)
Rebel Force: Firefight (YR)
Rebel Force: Trapped (YR)
Empire #19: Target: Vader
Shadow Stalker (one-shot)
Rebel Force: Uprising (YR)
Allegiance (HC)
Empire (#20-28 )
Choices of One (HC)
Empire (#29-40)
Rebellion #0/Knights of the Old Republic #0 (flip-book)
Rebellion #1-5: My Brother, My Enemy
Boba Fett: Overkill (one-shot)
Rebellion (#6-16)
River of Chaos (#1-4)
Galaxies: The Ruins of Dantooine (PB)

That's just in the first year after ANH. That plus Marvel's first 34 issues or so, SW Missions, Galaxy of Fear, Classic SW newsstrips, etc.... It just goes on and on. That is the last place on the timeline that we need another story. They're just going for new fans. They don't even try to hide that fact. Randy Stradley said straight out it was because the EU is too daunting for people to dive into. Just like you say, I don't know when these poor people even had time to use the 'fresher.

In short, there is WAY too much stuff to justify shoving in another comic series.

Even just to start, the following things all claim to happen "within hours to days of the Battle of Yavin"

The Day After the Death Star
Missions: Assualt on Yavin IV (and sequels)
Rebel Force: Target (and sequels)
The Rebel Thief
A Long Time Ago... (Marvel collection)
Classic Star Wars: In Deadly Pursuit

And (i think) the old newspaper strips.

I'm probably also not thinking of some others that I've found ways to move around.

In short, starting anything new (like, say... a comic series) until about 6 months after the Battle of Yavin is insane!! And a major pain in the ass timeline wise.

Yes, a lot of these can be condensed down into a few days of activity, but unless there is some reference in the new material to time spent away for various of these to fit in, it is simply impossible to give a continuous narrative that involves the big 3.

Especially when in some sources Han disappears for months on end, and then returns, and in others he's hanging out with the rebellion. (That alone is a nightmare to reconcile).

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:50 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Quote:
Major works include these (Credit to Mad Wook, though I don't entirely agree on the order):

Yes, my order is not to be taken as canon. That list is just for my collection purposes only.* I just copied and pasted from my collection list to expedite the process. I just wanted to throw it in there to show how many items were in there already.

I agree it is insane and ridiculous to force another storyline into that area of time. It is making me seriously consider giving up my collecting hobby for the first time in 35 years. There have been lots of other things to make me consider giving it up but this could be the proverbial "straw." I'm not saying George, Dave, Randy, and co. are wrong for any actions, whether ignoring continuity, avoiding it, or just trying to make money and bring in "new blood," but it has been becoming something other than the SW in my mind for quite a while now. The comics have been the only area that still give me that "fun" feeling. The novels are becoming too much work, especially trying to reconcile Maul's story and everything about Fate of the Jedi. It's just not as enjoyable to me anymore, which is sad but a part of life. Old eras eventually have to die.

*The biggest "personal" changes I made were to spread out that Rebel Forces series to fill out the shelf and to kind of replace the Marvel series in my canon, which I consider Infinities. Plus the story felt like it should happen over a longer period of time to me. The other big change was to move up Choices of One to before Luke came across Tank. Luke is so innocent and naive in Choices, I just didn't think it fit his Empire-Rebellion portrayal very well. He was maturing much faster in the comic series than Zahn was giving him credit for. Zahn's books Allegiance and Choices are some of the reason I've been considering quitting, which is ironic since Heir was a lot of the reason I got serious about collecting in the first place. Go figure.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:27 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I'm excited for this simply because of the creative staff.

As for the continuity side of it, I've stopped being obsessive about it, it makes things a lot easier and I get fewer headaches because of it. Lucasfilm has a much better grasp on the continuity side of things than they did in the 80's and 90's. There is always a way to make things work.

Although I would say that if anything is getting retconned out, it would be the old Marvel comics.
www.FanboysTalking.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:34 am Reply with quote  

At Star Wars Celebration VI, there was a panel on Friday called 'One Writer's Approach to Star Wars.' It was hosted by Dark Horse Comics Editor Randy Stradley and the upcoming writer of the new Star Wars comic series Brian Wood. I posted the audio for the panel. You can listen to it here.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=aKue0-FXOEo

I thought it was a pretty interesting panel. Randy and Brian assured the fans that they will not be trampling continuity. Brian shared that he's a big X-Wing fan and will get to see some of that in the series. He's also a Bossk fan but so far Bossk hasn't made it into the series yet. Cool

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:18 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Don't forget the issue hits this Tuesday!
www.FanboysTalking.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:49 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Murray1134 wrote:
Don't forget the issue hits this Tuesday!

Wednesday, no? Comics come out Wednesday usually.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:08 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Yes, it comes out Wednesday, the 9th. At Roqoo Depot we were strictly told not to review before the 9th.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:40 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Cerrinea wrote:
Yes, it comes out Wednesday, the 9th. At Roqoo Depot we were strictly told not to review before the 9th.

Looking forward to hearing the review.

I'll be picking up issue #1 (like I always do) and see if its actually decent or not. I'm curious how they manage to dodge the continuity mess that is almost guaranteed.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:03 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Oops.. yes it is Weds Embarassed
www.FanboysTalking.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:33 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

So this was decent. Nothing super thrilling, but it was excellent as a setup. I think this will be a promising series. I love DMZ and The Massive so my faith lies with author Brian Wood.

I'm digging the art, but what I'm really into are the covers. I've seen previews for a few and I think this will be a series to display.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:05 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Great cover, great colors. Ok art, faces weren't convincing. I thought everyone in it seemed completely out of character, Leia especially. I forced myself to keep an open mind but still feel like it was a big thumbs down. The story didn't even feel like it had a point to it, just filler. And if "we" don't know anything about anything except the first movie, why are we introducing Mothma and co.?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:19 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

The art and especially the characters designs were really what I didn't like about the book. Darth Vader was my least favorite. Of course that could just be the OCD-Armor Nerd side of me.

Is it just me or in a few panels did Leia look like Padme? I wonder if that was intentional?
www.FanboysTalking.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:27 am Reply with quote  

The likenesses of Vader, Luke, and Leia were definitely different. I'd say this is intentional on the artist's part. However I really liked their depictions of the starships. Those space scenes looked awesome.

I think my favorite part in the story was when Leia gunned down that TIE pilot. I wasn't expecting Leia to be that cold blooded. When I reflected on it, it made sense, but it'll be interesting to see more into Leia's head. I'm liking the Leia focus.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 2 of 6