Star Wars: Scoundrels by Timothy Zahn
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:40 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Scoundrels, compared to his other works, is on a smaller scale, so I felt like I could identify the pieces of the puzzle better, and for a brief moment, get a glimpse into his methodology. It's meta Zahn. Also, if you're worried about continuity, don't.

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:34 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Just finished Winner Lose All the eNovella, and I really liked it! The introduction to the new characters has me ready to roll on to the book. I haven't read the short in the new Insiders yet but I hear good things.

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:13 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Amazon actually sent a new book out on time!!! Copy just came in, time to get reading. Has anyone els picked it up yet? No not you lucky media types all finished with it and all, us norms?!

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:59 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Greetings from your fellow normie! Reading it now Smile . This is the first Zahn book I've read since the Thrawn duology, when I entered the fandom. I noted Zahn as a good writer, but nothing really caught me. I don't know if it's the story or the setting, but I'm quite liking it already.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:59 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

No one has posted about the Twist. SAY WHAT?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:56 pm Reply with quote  

It's too good to spoil Very Happy

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:25 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Honestly, I hated the twist. I might notice something when I re-read the book in a few years, but I don't think there was anything that hinted at that twist. Sure it was clear he was hiding something, but not like that. But since it only affected the very end, it was no where close to being enough to ruin the book for me.

Overall I found the book to be great and would love to see more of the characters, especially the twins.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:31 am Reply with quote  

Really? You didn't like the twist? That was my favorite part of the whole book. Sad

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:15 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

For a twist to be good, in my opinion, it has to change how the rest of the book reads. However if they left out that scene at the end, the rest of the book would read the exact same. I won't go into more details about why I disliked it because of spoilers, but the twist did nothing for the book as whole.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:41 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Well, I liked the twist. I loled when I read it, and it made me see everything the character did in a different light.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:17 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Werehunter wrote:
For a twist to be good, in my opinion, it has to change how the rest of the book reads. However if they left out that scene at the end, the rest of the book would read the exact same. I won't go into more details about why I disliked it because of spoilers, but the twist did nothing for the book as whole.

If you'd to discuss it more, please use the spoiler tags. Smile

I'm a Zahn fangirl, and this wasn't my favorite book. I feel like Zahn, at the cost of his own storytelling, has been stuck in this time period far too long to the point where he's catering to himself. He can do so much more. In Outbound Flight, he went outside his comfort zone, into the Clone Wars, and showed us a fresh faced Thrawn. All the things I love about Zahn's writing are in Scoundrels - but it's getting stale.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:55 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I just finished and I loved the twist. But probably my favorite part was

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:47 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

GrandMaster wrote:

Wasn't that great? Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:48 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I really didn't see anything coming in this book. Every surprise was a genuine surprise.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:15 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

GrandMaster wrote:

That was great. Actually, I think pretty much the entire final heist was very well done. Except for

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 8 of 9