Dawn of the Jedi: Into the Void by Tim Lebbon
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:21 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

From Star Wars Books' Facebook page:

We've posted the synopsis for Tim Lebbon's upcoming novel, STAR WARS: DAWN OF THE JEDI: INTO THE VOID on our official Random House website. Here it is:

On the planet Tython, the ancient Je’daii order was founded. And at the feet of its wise Masters, Lanoree Brock learned the mysteries and methods of the Force—and found her calling as one of its most powerful disciples. But as strongly as the Force flowed within Lanoree and her parents, it remained absent in her brother, who grew to despise and shun the Je’daii, and whose training in its ancient ways ended in tragedy.

Now, from her solitary life as a Ranger keeping order across the galaxy, Lanoree has been summoned by the Je’daii Council on a matter of utmost urgency. The leader of a fanatical cult, obsessed with traveling beyond the reaches of known space, is bent on opening a cosmic gateway using dreaded dark matter as the key—risking a cataclysmic reaction that will consume the entire star system. But more shocking to Lanoree than even the prospect of total galactic annihilation, is the decision of her Je’daii Masters to task her with the mission of preventing it. Until a staggering revelation makes clear why she was chosen: The brilliant, dangerous madman she must track down and stop at any cost is the brother whose death she has long grieved—and whose life she must now fear.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:44 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Intriguing.

Somewhat more mystical than most of the existing Star Wars plots from the sound of it, but that's perhaps appropriate for the era.

Certainly a good setup for plot though.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:54 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

The cover is online! I love it!

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

Pretty stunning. And I invite you to read my thoughts on why this novel could succeed if Del Rey continues on their current marketing path: http://www.fandomapocalypse.com/dawnofthejedicover/

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:28 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

The cover is good. Wasn't too impressed by what I read in the excerpt, however.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:03 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Old Master Ben wrote:
The cover is online! I love it!

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

Pretty stunning. And I invite you to read my thoughts on why this novel could succeed if Del Rey continues on their current marketing path: http://www.fandomapocalypse.com/dawnofthejedicover/

Its certainly a lot better than most of the covers in the last year or so, but am I the only one who's starting to get tired of the "one character per cover" model?

The Tho Yor (sp?) is a nice inclusion, so its nice, but I miss the old days when there used to be more characters, ships and places included.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:21 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm loving this cover, but it very much looks like a comic book cover. I miss when Star Wars covers were very theatrical and indicative of the plot, not just "hey here's some characters"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:47 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The artist for this cover is the same one who did the Plageius cover.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:53 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Cerrinea wrote:
The artist for this cover is the same one who did the Plageius cover.

This is in no way surprising to me, I can see some stylistic similarities.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:30 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I like the cover quite a bit personally. I've very excited for this work! I've never been a big comic person, so this going to be my entrance into this time period in the universe, and I'm eager to see the world-building and such I'm hoping is included.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:56 am Reply with quote  

Who was the artist?

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:34 am Reply with quote  

This will be out Tuesday, so how about some updates...

Tim Lebbon posted a journal entry from Lanoree's pov which you can read here: http://www.kindlepost.com/2013/04/guest-blogger-tim-lebbon-author-of-star-wars-dawn-of-the-jedi.html

Suvudu has the first 50 pages online here: http://star-wars.suvudu.com/2013/05/50-page-fridays-tim-lebbon.html

Hollywood.com posted some cool cover art concepts here along with an excerpt: http://www.hollywood.com/news/movies/55010774/star-wars-dawn-of-the-jedi-into-the-void-excerpt-cover-art

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 1:17 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

As someone who is low on disposable income at the moment I'm going to be waiting to hear what several different people here think of this one before buying it (Padme, Mara, Skuls, Cer, looking at you guys).

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:02 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I just got it in the mail today, but I have to write a paper for class before I can start to read it.

A few pages from the first issue of Dawn of the Jedi are included in the middle, very similar to what they did with Knight Errant. There is also a short story by John Ostrander in the back, which I did not expect at all. And there is an excerpt from Crucible as well.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:43 am Reply with quote  

I liked it. The story covers two aspects, Lanoree's flashbacks of her Je'daii training, which is really cool as it walks the reader through the journey the Je'daii trainees have to go through and shows off a lot of the planet and temples.

The other half of the book is in the present time, which is shortly before the events of Force Storm and the arrival of Xesh. Lanoree is now a full Ranger and is tasked with a mission to find a cult who is trying to activate a hypergate with dark matter.

There are some very cool elements and story threads. It also has a very tight focused cast, following only Lanoree and her brother in the flashbacks, and Lanoree and her reluctant partner Tre Sana (a cool Twi'lek who is not a Je'daii and has no Force powers).

And an FYI: Tim Lebbon pronounces her name as "La-nory". It's an anagram of his daughter's name.

The prose of the novel is really good, and while the story isn't perfect, I enjoyed it a lot. It ties into the comics a little, and it includes a short story by Ostrander (which actually takes place before the events in the book). If you like the comics, I'd say it's a buy.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:55 am Reply with quote  

Here's a roundup of reviews and interviews for Into the Void.

Reviews
Club Jade
FANgirl Blog
GeekMom
Goozer Nation
Jedi News
Knights Archive (Brian)
Knights Archive (Megan)
Lightsaber Rattling
Pure Textuality
Roqoo Depot
Tosche Station

Interviews
Jedi Journals starts at 00:21:40
Jedi News
Roqoo Depot
Star Wars Action News starts at 00:24:00
Suvudu
Tech Talk starts at beginning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 2 of 3