Random Movie Musings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 145, 146, 147 ... 185, 186, 187  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:38 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
I'm really feeling the Alien franchise right now. With Aliens: Colonial Marines dropping in a month I'm super psyched.

I'm confused. You mean you are watching the films as a build up for the video game that is releasing, not a new Aliens movie, right?
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:55 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
Caedus_16 wrote:
I'm really feeling the Alien franchise right now. With Aliens: Colonial Marines dropping in a month I'm super psyched.

I'm confused. You mean you are watching the films as a build up for the video game that is releasing, not a new Aliens movie, right?

Indeed.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:17 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Are you going to watch Aliens Versus Predator?
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:39 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:

Is that even canon? I sure hope it's not...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:08 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:

I have both of them. I will watch the first, the second is only good to those who are stoned, drunk, super into the "its so bad its good" thing, or those who just have to be in the outgroup so bad they'd get behind it. The second one is the perfect example of a bad movie.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:23 pm Reply with quote  

I actually liked the second AVP better than the first. Sad

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:35 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
I actually liked the second AVP better than the first. Sad

I love the graphics, I love the pred-alien, but the acting is just so painful that I can't hardly make it through.

EDIT: Also not meant to insult anyone, but it is beyond not a movie I could get behind. I enjoyed the fourth Alien movie more.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:49 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Re: AVP Canon.

It depends on who you ask. AVP comics are canon for the Aliens and Predator comics which are in continuity with the movies. Sort of the same arrangement as Lucasfilm.

Within the movies AVP does follow continuity with the other films. In Alien 3 Bishop II played by Lance Henriksen claims to be a robotics designer for Weyland Yutani corporation and the creator of the Bishop android from Aliens, played by the same actor. The movie keeps it a mystery whether he is actually a human or another android, since he was trying to trick Ripley for the purposes of acquiring an Alien for the Company. Lance also reprises the role in AVP as Charles Weyland, the companies founder. Mrs. Yutani plays a role in AVP: Requiem.

According to Alien director Ridley Scott, AVP and possibly none of the Alien sequels are in his canon and any future films in the franchise will not follow their continuity, although his Prometheus also features the Weyland corporation.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:10 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
Re: AVP Canon.

It depends on who you ask. AVP comics are canon for the Aliens and Predator comics which are in continuity with the movies. Sort of the same arrangement as Lucasfilm.

Within the movies AVP does follow continuity with the other films. In Alien 3 Bishop II played by Lance Henriksen claims to be a robotics designer for Weyland Yutani corporation and the creator of the Bishop android from Aliens, played by the same actor. The movie keeps it a mystery whether he is actually a human or another android, since he was trying to trick Ripley for the purposes of acquiring an Alien for the Company. Lance also reprises the role in AVP as Charles Weyland, the companies founder. Mrs. Yutani plays a role in AVP: Requiem.

According to Alien director Ridley Scott, AVP and possibly none of the Alien sequels are in his canon and any future films in the franchise will not follow their continuity, although his Prometheus also features the Weyland corporation.

The problem with the film structure and continuities is that they have the same problem that Star Wars does. There are those that consider certain things canon above others, but with this franchise you have the perfect creature film that kicked it off and therefore it will all revolve around Scott. Aliens and Alien 3 are still in my canon with it, as is Prometheus, but everything else is so muddled and fanboyish that its hard to work with.

I think Scott kept Weyland because its just become so iconic. I think he'd keep Aliens in his continuity as well due to that same issue.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:52 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
Alan Skywalker V wrote:
Any idea how long it would take for the 2 disc edition of TDKR to drop to 19.99 on Amazon? It's clocking in at a whopping $35 right now and I don't want to pay that much for it.

Used page bro, or Ebay. Ebay gave me the 8-disc Harry Potter collection for 20 bucks.

Was a 2 disc edition of TDKR even released for Region 1 (US and Canada?) The Amazon page for the 2 disc set that I've been looking at now says that it's a Region 2 DVD. If a single disc DVD set was all the US and Canada got besides the Blu-Ray, then it's a huge disappointment and a waste of my time waiting for the price to drop. Grrr!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:20 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Unfortunately all we got was the single disc. That's pretty much a thing these days, they're pudding for blu-ray to completely take over so they make anything worthwhile a blu-ray only feature.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:25 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Oh, rats! Thanks anyway, Caedus. Guess I'll ask my mom to buy the DVD for me when she goes grocery shopping this week.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:45 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I finally saw Super 8 today.

A wonderful film up until the climax. The ending felt very cheap and it seemed as if it was strapped on for the sake of having a happy ending. It reminded me of I Am Legend in that respect. But other than that, it had a great plot leading up to it with excellent special effects. Not your typical Hollywood film, which is a good thing.

I'm still skeptical about J.J. Abrams' ability to make a SW film. though. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:32 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I've watched TDKR several times and there's one thing I still can't figure out. How did Bane learn that Bruce was Batman before they met? It's obvious that Bane must have told Miranda/Talia later on before Bruce came back, did how did he find out?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:47 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Alan Skywalker V wrote:
I've watched TDKR several times and there's one thing I still can't figure out. How did Bane learn that Bruce was Batman before they met? It's obvious that Bane must have told Miranda/Talia later on before Bruce came back, did how did he find out?

Other way around, Talia knew from the League (who always knew thanks to Ras) that Bruce was Batman, she was the one who told Bane. It was her plan all along.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 146 of 187