Kenobi by John Jackson Miller
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:19 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Maybe jump Beggar's Canyon in a Sand Crawler?

Robot Chicken! Very Happy

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:52 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

An Imperial Shuttle will crash and he'll find that the survivors are Commander Cody and a couple other Stormtroopers... Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:36 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Jedi Joe wrote:
An Imperial Shuttle will crash and he'll find that the survivors are Commander Cody and a couple other Stormtroopers... Twisted Evil

Now that's just mean. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:28 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Cerrinea wrote:
Jedi Joe wrote:

Now that's just mean. Very Happy

No no. That's just brilliant. Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:58 pm Reply with quote  

Think Obi-Wan would kill Commander Cody or do you think he would be able to reason with him? Let's say it was a one-on-one scenario just to increase the odds they'd actually talk to each other.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:50 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Think Obi-Wan would kill Commander Cody or do you think he would be able to reason with him? Let's say it was a one-on-one scenario just to increase the odds they'd actually talk to each other.

I have little doubt that he'd try to reason with Cody given the chance.

The outcome would truly depend on Cody's experiences since Utapau.

If he still believes that the Jedi were responsible for the war and harming the republic, then I'm pretty sure he'd force Obi-wan to kill him.

However, if he's seen what has happened to the galaxy since Palpatine took over, he might be a lot more willing to listen. If he's seen the civil oppression of aliens, the massive and questionable military buildup, and recognized the centralization of authority outside of a war scenario as problematic, he may actually be highly motivated to join Obi-Wan in his exile.

That could in fact, lead to an interesting partnership during Obi-wan's exile. The two of them keeping each other company in the middle of nowhere, Cody helping Obi-wan watch over young Luke, able to infiltrate stormtrooper garrisons to divert any suspicious attention or patrols from Luke, and also being able to go into the galaxy to do errands for Obi-wan while he stayed to watch over Luke.

Of course, with the aging process, Cody would be around mid-60s at a time of ANH, so he could theoretically still be alive, so he'd have to die off doing something, but that would be a way down the road.

One other thing that would be interesting is Obi-wan using Cody to get messages back and forth between him and Yoda in exile.

So many possibilities.

That said, can't seem them going this way.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:36 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I can't wait to read this book....though I'm going to have to wait for the paperback version.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:17 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

As I read the latest Star Wars Dissection, and something, specifically this:

Quote:
EUC: And what of the creative teams? Would the authors and artists of Star Wars comics be replaced with those that work for Marvel? While I think a Star Wars title written by Rick Remender or Brian Michael Bendis would be amazing, I certainly wouldnít want to lose the talents of John Jackson Miller or John Ostrander/Jan Duursema. Is there a risk of that?

JE: Iím not sure thatís something I can really speak to, but I think people like John Jackson Miller and John Ostrander and editor Randy Stradley have been instrumental voices in the expansion of the EU at Dark Horse, but the nature of the beast is that they are freelancers (or Dark Horse employees in the case of Stradley) and that Marvel has their own editorial staff and a whole stable of freelancers. Particularly if Marvel wants to distance their Star Wars output from that of Dark Horse, going with fresh blood might be a good way to go about it. But again, thatís more inside baseball than I can really speak to.

- got me thinking. I don't think it likely that Heddle will want to let go of JJM, so, if this is to be believed, he may not be writing SW comics any more, but it's possible he may be writing more SW novels, in the future. Of course, it depends on how well this book does, either way.

Well, one can hope.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:13 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

JJM writes for Marvel as well as Dark Horse so he could continue to write Star Wars comics no matter what happens.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:39 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Also, we're all making a huge assumption that Disney will automatically want to move Star Wars comics over to Marvel. They may continue to allow the outsourcing simply to ensure that a continuous and successful product is on shelves.

Having 50% of the revenue from a successful multi-series Star Wars comic empire published by Dark Horse (or whatever the actual split is), would be better than 100% of the revenue from a failed Star Wars comic empire published by Marvel.

I'm not saying that would happen, but the fans are very loyal to the writers who have built the EU over the last couple decades, and it would be poor business sense on Disney's part to take that risk.

Worth pointing out is that the Disney and Muppet comics themselves are published by BOOM! Studios, not Marvel. To my understanding, they are a completely independent company that Disney contracts the comics out to rather than going with in-house Marvel.

Therefore, its entirely possible that while they own LFL, they'll be content to allow the team there to decide what direction to take the comics rather than imposing a mandatory "in house" rule.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:53 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Cerrinea wrote:
JJM writes for Marvel as well as Dark Horse so he could continue to write Star Wars comics no matter what happens.

Huh, I didn't know that (not really into comics).
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:28 pm Reply with quote  

Kenobi has a tentative release date and page count now: September 24, 2013, 288 pages.

Source: http://www.randomhouse.com/book/227072/kenobi-star-wars-by-john-jackson-miller

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:20 pm Reply with quote  

Update: John commented on Facebook that the page count is probably just a placeholder. I think at one point he mentioned he was over 170K words, not sure what that would equate to in page count.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:36 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Update: John commented on Facebook that the page count is probably just a placeholder. I think at one point he mentioned he was over 170K words, not sure what that would equate to in page count.

The rule I've often heard for a "first novel" to shop to companies is 100k -125k (which would equate to around 300 pages in paperback), so this would put this in the closer to 400-450 page range by my suspicion. (less in hardback)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:41 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
...September 24, 2013...

I can't wait! I'm looking forward to see what John will come up with! *happy dance* Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 5 of 8