Maul: Lockdown by Joe Schreiber
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maul: Lockdown by Joe Schreiber
 PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:49 pm Reply with quote  

Just announced, Joe Schreiber will be coming back to Star Wars with a new hardcover...

Maul: Lockdown

Quote:
From the mind of Joe Schreiber, New York Times bestselling author of Star Wars: Death Troopers, comes the delirious follow-up to last year’s Darth Plagueis. In a tale of retribution and survival set before the events of The Phantom Menace, Darth Plagueis and Darth Sidious dispatch Sith apprentice Darth Maul on a secret mission to infiltrate a criminal empire operating from inside Cog Hive Seven-a hidden prison teeming with the galaxy’s most savage criminals. There, he must contend against the scummiest and most villainous in gladiatorial death matches while carrying out his masters’ clandestine commands. Failure is not an option; success will ignite the revenge of the Sith against the Jedi Order.

Source: http://io9.com/5978549/the-guy-who-put-zombies-in-the-star-wars-universe-is-sending-darth-maul-behind-bars

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

Last edited by Darth Skuldren on Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:39 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Touting this as a follow up to Darth Plagueis seems to be stretching it a bit. Only a Sidious or Dooku novel would be a true follow up to James Luceno's excellent work.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:54 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

^Agree 100% on that. But I do love me some Maul so i will dive in blind to this one

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

Last edited by 1337Jedi on Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:24 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Sigh, where's the pre-order button

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:19 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I've never been a fan of Maul. In the PM, he was so much more flash than substance and have never been interested enough to get any EU material about him. I hope for his fans that this is good and hope for myself that they have other books in the works.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:27 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

DAT COVER ART. UNNNNFFFFF

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:48 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I also don't like the "followup to Darth Plageus" part of the copy, but I suppose that's supposed to be to get readers interested.

Overall this should be interesting, though I'm not sure it will fit within the horror genera based on the description. WIll be good though.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:48 pm Reply with quote  

Well since it's Schreiber, this won't be a follow-up in the sense of "more political thriller!" But since there's a possibility that Plagueis might be in the book as a minor or cameo character, it does act as a follow up in the sense of the time of the events.

One thing I do like is that this isn't being promoted as a horror novel. It'll be nice to just a Maul adventure without forced horror elements.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:28 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Well since it's Schreiber, this won't be a follow-up in the sense of "more political thriller!" But since there's a possibility that Plagueis might be in the book as a minor or cameo character, it does act as a follow up in the sense of the time of the events.

One thing I do like is that this isn't being promoted as a horror novel. It'll be nice to just a Maul adventure without forced horror elements.

But don't you think it'll come off as a little bit horror anyway?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:48 pm Reply with quote  

Joe's last book, Perry's Killer Playlist wasn't horror like at all. Came off like a good action movie. He's pretty good at doing non-horror. I'd hate to see him get typecasted.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:41 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

The follow up line is ridiculous.

I mean I'm kind of shocked Scoundrels isn't advertised as a
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

YES THIS IS A SPOILER... Be warned. ^^^

They are just trying to capture the hype of DP.... and it will backfire.

The book will be good- but the way it is marketed will leave many going "This isn't what I was expecting at all"

But it WILL fit with what Maul is up to at that point in the timeline. But attaching DP and Luceno to the add was folley.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:57 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I'm loving the resurgence of Maul in the Clone Wars (I really didn't think I would enjoy him this much) and I loved Death Troopers and Red Harvest. I can't wait to see what he does with Maul.
www.FanboysTalking.com

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:28 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Loved Death Troopers & Red Harvest is sitting on my shelf to be read in the near future.

Glad to see Joe writing a third book. I've read nothing set around the prequel era so looks like this will be my first.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:02 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Between this and Kenobi, I suppose my interest in future publications has been reinvigorated to some extent. I found Death Troopers and Red Harvest to be guilty pleasures, especially the audiobooks and their production values. If this novel can incorporate the qualities that I enjoyed of Shadow Hunter, Darth Plagueis, and Schreiber's other two SW novels, it will be fun.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:11 am Reply with quote  

Here's the blurb since it hasn't been posted yet.

Quote:
Set before the events of Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace, this new novel is a thrilling follow-up to Star Wars: Darth Plagueis

It's kill or be killed in the space penitentiary that houses the galaxy’s worst criminals, where convicts face off in gladiatorial combat while an underworld gambling empire reaps the profits of the illicit blood sport. But the newest contender in this savage arena, as demonic to behold as he is deadly to challenge, is fighting for more than just survival. His do-or-die mission, for the dark masters he serves, is to capture the ultimate weapon: an object capable of obliterating the Jedi and conquering the galaxy.

Sith lords Darth Plagueis and Darth Sidious are determined to possess the prize. And one of the power-hungry duo has his own treacherous plans for it. But first, their fearsome apprentice must take on a bloodthirsty prison warden, a cannibal gang, cutthroat crime lord Jabba the Hutt, and an unspeakable alien horror. No one else could brave such a gauntlet of death and live. But no one else is the dreaded dark-side disciple known as Darth Maul.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 3