Episode VII in 2015 [spoiler thread]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 37, 38, 39  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:32 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
I guess I'm happy it's not Whedon or Synder.

Still, they could have it directed by Uwe Boll and people would still see it. You think not? Just remember that episode one didn't stop you from seeing episodes two and three.

Oh everyone will see it, but I'm kind of glad they're going this direction instead of may others. Blockbuster directors are fine, but franchises have a tough time when handed to arthouse directors and I'm glad they didn't go that route.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:24 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I haven't seen the new Star Trek movie, so I don't know what to think about Abrams directing.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:29 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

He did a great job on it. He knows they're not the same and he will do something appropriate for SW.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:32 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I actually do like Abrams and his style could work for SW, but it's Trek more than anything that has me apprehensive, because I don't think that style would be good.
The absurd man thus catches sight of a burning and frigid, transparent and limited universe in which nothing is possible but everything is given, and beyond which all is collapse and nothingness. He can then decide to accept such a universe and draw from it his strength, his refusal to hope, and the unyielding evidence of a life without consolation.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:48 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
I actually do like Abrams and his style could work for SW, but it's Trek more than anything that has me apprehensive, because I don't think that style would be good.

It functioned fine for Trek, but I doubt you'll like it if you haven't seen it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:53 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I meant for Trek 1, which I've seen. I haven't seen Trek 2, is it out yet?

IR2 made some excellent points about how it fits into the Trekverse. Stylistically it seemed like it fits in as a progression from the TNG movies, but it doesn't fit so much with the TV series. I'm not sure how fans feel about the OS and TNG Trek movies in comparison to the TV series, but I feel like it's really different from Star Wars because we just have the movies and not that same visual media progression.

I thought Super 8 was great and that lends more towards SW, but I wonder how much influence Spielberg had over it, because it plays as very Spielberg who of course fits more with the SW vision. If Abrams uses that same homage toward the OT blended with his own style like he did there, it could be good.
The absurd man thus catches sight of a burning and frigid, transparent and limited universe in which nothing is possible but everything is given, and beyond which all is collapse and nothingness. He can then decide to accept such a universe and draw from it his strength, his refusal to hope, and the unyielding evidence of a life without consolation.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:59 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
I meant for Trek 1, which I've seen. I haven't seen Trek 2, is it out yet?

IR2 made some excellent points about how it fits into the Trekverse. Stylistically it seemed like it fits in as a progression from the TNG movies, but it doesn't fit so much with the TV series. I'm not sure how fans feel about the OS and TNG Trek movies in comparison to the TV series, but I feel like it's really different from Star Wars because we just have the movies and not that same visual media progression.

I thought Super 8 was great and that lends more towards SW, but I wonder how much influence Spielberg had over it, because it plays as very Spielberg who of course fits more with the SW vision. If Abrams uses that same homage toward the OT blended with his own style like he did there, it could be good.

Its not out yet, comes out in May.

Honestly I think Abrams style will lend well to the SW universe, but the issue I have with it is that no matter what its still people pissing on the EU. That will bother me.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:13 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

On an article I read people were saying "According to GL and Cathy the EU is not canon, so even if JJ wanted to do it, he wouldn't be allowed to." Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:15 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
On an article I read people were saying "According to GL and Cathy the EU is not canon, so even if JJ wanted to do it, he wouldn't be allowed to." Rolling Eyes

Well that's just ridiculous. Lucas shouldn't have his hands on it anymore, the decision is out of his hands. If its true that he has that level of control still what was the point in selling to Disney?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:57 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:

That's just people's inaccurate opinions, there's never been any official word on that one way or the other beyond that George's works trump anything else.

That said, given what they did with Star Trek, I'm pretty sure we're looking at a new "alternate universe" setting for Ep VII which will promptly completely diverge from anything of the EU.

Honestly, I don't like the choices for either Writer or Director, so I have very VERY low expectations for this movie.

Still Think Whedon would have been the best choice to have a hope of maintaining EU continuity.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:11 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Looks like Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg will be consultants.This could be the source of the rumour that they were writing scripts for future Star Wars films. I'm really happy Kasdan is involved.

Source: http://www.eucantina.net/archives/15365

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:22 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Everybody, prepare your eyes for Lens Flares!

But seriously, I like the stuff that Abrams has done that I've seen. Granted I haven't seen much. Star Trek. Alias. Maybe one or two other little things.

And Kasdan's a good call.

Regarding maintenance of continuity, I'm hoping they just don't reference anything and don't make it so that it directly violates anything too significant.

For example, make it very far in the future. Have it so that the things from the PT and OT have implications for the events of the film, but the EU (even up to Legacy) just don't play a role.

Have a new Republic-like government, with lots of Jedi, that stems somehow from the end-result of ROTJ, with a threat that can trace its origins to the PT or OT, and then let the EU bridge Legacy to this new state of play.

The actors are old. Many look nothing like their old selves. Move things along and there will be no continuity disruption by the very fact that there won't be any continuity to disrupt.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:10 pm Reply with quote  

So all the talk today is about the unconfirmed rumors that Harrison Ford will be playing Han Solo in Episode VII. If true, that makes me happy. I think it would be very cool if they had the original cast back for parts, not the starring roles, but strong supporting roles. They may be old, but I think the nostalgia and symbolism is important. The old generation needs to be there to hand the torch to a new generation.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:38 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Right now the chance of seeing the Big 3 back on screen is the most exciting part of Episode VII for me.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:04 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Location: Planet Spacoid, (if you look it up on facebook, you will find it)

I don't know if somebody already suggested this, but we could have somebody from the cantina try to e-mail Disney or Lucasfilm and ask them to make sure not to destroy what we all know and love.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga

Page 10 of 39