Hasbro
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Collecting View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hasbro
 PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:40 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I didn't see a topic for this yet.

At the SDCC Hasbro announced that Dec will bring the end of the vintage collection for awhile. In 2013, they will be bringing back the Build A Droid to use in it's place.

The first ATOC wave was shown and includes Mace Windu, Anakin, Arena Padme, Biker Scout and I few others that I can't remember. Smile

They will be continuing with the Movie Heros line.

"Vote for Papa Palpatine".

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:40 pm Reply with quote  

USA Today revealed Hasbro will be coming out with a 6" Star Wars action figure line called Star Wars Black Series. Wave one will include pilot Luke, R2-D2, Darth Maul, and an Imperial Sandtrooper. They will retailed for $19.99 each and will focus on original trilogy characters but will also include prequel trilogy characters.

Source: http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2013/01/29/hasbro-star-wars-black-series-action-figure-toys/1872035/

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:21 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

That's good for me. As a vintage '77 to 85' collector the Vintage Collection was annoying and caused too much product listing confusion.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:20 pm Reply with quote  

I wonder how big Jabba would be on the 6" scale? Anyways, I'm looking forward to seeing some new alien sculps. Can't wait to see some Jawas and Ewoks.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:29 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

It's a little confusing but I think they are just making some special select 6" figures and still continuing to make 3 3/4" figs.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:40 pm Reply with quote  

Well yesterday I went to a couple Target stores and picked up three of the four figures in the first wave of the 6" Black Series. I got the Sandtrooper, Pilot Luke, and R2-D2. One thing I noticed while comparing the figures in the store is that the paint applications vary figure-to-figure. For instance there was a lot of inconsistencies and mistakes with R2-D2's dome. Some figures had crooked blue lines or paint drip. I also noticed some Luke Skywalkers that had messed up chest controls on his pilot outfit. The Sandtrooper is a safe bet though cause the figure has a dirty appearance so any flaws don't look bad.

The articulation on these things is awesome though. They are way more articulated than the 3-3/4" figures. Their ankles move, their feet pivot, their knees are double jointed, their mid-waist can tilt. Lots of cool poses are possible. They look really good too.

Couple neat things that I liked: for starters, the lightsaber blade in Luke's lightsaber can be taken out so you can have Luke with lit or unlit lightsaber. It can also be hung off his belt from a little hook and ring in the lightsaber hilt.

With the Sandtrooper, you can pop his head off and remove his pauldron so you end up with a dirty looking Stormtrooper. I'm thinking about picking up an extra so I can have one with and one without pauldron.

Now I just need to find Maul. I saw him earlier in the week, but I passed on him because I was still undecided on whether I wanted to buy them or not.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:25 pm Reply with quote  

I picked up the 6" Black Series Greedo off of Amazon when it was on sale for $11.99. Pretty cool figure. The hands and head don't have much articulation but his legs have a lot of articulation. He only comes with one accessory.

Playing around with him, you can pop his head off and switch it with Luke, thus giving you a Rodian X-Wing pilot. His head also fits on Darth Maul's body if you want a Darth Rodian.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:39 pm Reply with quote  

Though I may be talking to myself, I'm going to continue. Wink

I just picked up a 6" Black Series Boba Fett after scouring a bunch of Target, Toys R Us and K-mart stores. I only found one, so they're pretty scarce at the moment in my area. First off, he looks great. It's not a perfect match of the screen Boba Fett (from Empire) but it's still a nice looking figure.

However, as soon as I started to play with him, I got bummed out real fast. They put a ton of articulation in these figures and then designed them in a way that you can't articulate them. For instance on Fett, they put these stupid cargo pouches right in front of his legs so you can bend his legs up. Thus Fett can't be put into a kneeling position. The way they designed it, you can bend his legs backwards either, at least not at the hip. You can bend his foot backwards plenty far, but it doesn't bend forward at all (all of the wave one figures had feet that could bend forward).

The end result is that Fett will assume some great ballerina poses, but if you want to put him in a combat pose, you'll have to settle for standing up straight.

Lastly, with most of the figures, you can pop their heads off and place them on different bodies, which can be really fun. Luke, Maul and Greedo are all compatible, but the Sandtrooper is not. Boba Fett as the same ball joint size as the Sandtrooper, but his neck is extra long, so if you put Fett's head on the Sandtrooper, he has no neck and looks really goofy. If you put the Sandtrooper head on Fett, it has a giraffe neck. This means Boba Fett's head can't be switched with anybody, which sucks.

So, as far as playability/posability goes, Fett is a very limited figure. I'm pretty disappointed in him.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:25 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Nice review. Playability is a factor that you rarely see described.

The six inch scale isn't my cup of tea with SW, but I love the idea of switchable heads. That is my favorite part of MOTUC.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:38 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
but I love the idea of switchable heads.

You should try Doctor Who regeneration figures.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:19 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Sorry, I'm not into Dr. Who. I thought it was just a cheesy soap opera from the 70's, I couldn't understand why people have gotten into it so much in the last decade.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:17 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
Sorry, I'm not into Dr. Who. I thought it was just a cheesy soap opera from the 70's, I couldn't understand why people have gotten into it so much in the last decade.

Its more soap opera now than it ever was in the 70's actually. Depending on which era you watch its kitschy and enjoyable.

Anyone pick up the Plagueis figure? I was curious and I looked it up and its actually not bad, I kind of want one but it'll be hard as heck to find.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:07 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

That DP is pretty derpy lookin. Most of the non OT BS )haha) figs look pretty crummy, actually. You can tell which ones they spent a lot of time on.

The Mara Jade is cool. But I sill think I like the old one better.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:00 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
That DP is pretty derpy lookin. Most of the non OT BS )haha) figs look pretty crummy, actually. You can tell which ones they spent a lot of time on.

The Mara Jade is cool. But I sill think I like the old one better.

I have the Mara from the 2-pack, I dig that one actually. Not perfect but a decent amount of articulation.

My Nom Anor figure is kind of iffy as well, looks like skeletor. You really can tell which ones they think will sell.

Having said that the Plagueis figure comes with his breath mask, which makes him a bit more intimidating to the eye. I like it, I just need to find my own and purchase it now.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:29 pm Reply with quote  

I haven't seen Plagueis out in the wild yet, but I am interested in him.

Of the 6" figures, Greedo is currently my favorite.

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Collecting

Page 1 of 2