Random Movie Musings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 146, 147, 148 ... 184, 185, 186  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:55 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Alan Skywalker V wrote:
I've watched TDKR several times and there's one thing I still can't figure out. How did Bane learn that Bruce was Batman before they met?

well, it was kind of obvious. Remember that his idea for making it not seem suspicious that his company was producing batrangs was to order ten thousand of them.

It doesn't take a criminal mastermind, some desk jockey in accounting figured it out. Even his CEO wondered why Waycorp was spending millions of dollars on high tech equipment that just disappeared, but he just figured that he should fire Lucius for mismanagement of funds. He would probably end up being investigated by the DOJ and the IRS.

Now here's a real random movie bit, the last three movies I watched happened to coincidentally have the same actor, Patrick Wilson, as a love interest to the main actress. I looked up the dudes name before writing this and had to look it up again while doing so because I already forgot it. The movies are Morning Glory, Young Adult, and The Switch, picked more or less at random because they had people I like in them and wanted to watch a comedy.

Also Jeff Goldblum was in two of them and he played the same role in both too, the boss of the lead.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:56 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
Alan Skywalker V wrote:
I've watched TDKR several times and there's one thing I still can't figure out. How did Bane learn that Bruce was Batman before they met?

well, it was kind of obvious. Remember that his idea for making it not seem suspicious that his company was producing batrangs was to order ten thousand of them.

It doesn't take a criminal mastermind, some desk jockey in accounting figured it out. Even his CEO wondered why Waycorp was spending millions of dollars on high tech equipment that just disappeared, but he just figured that he should fire Lucius for mismanagement of funds. He would probably end up being investigated by the DOJ and the IRS.

I'll also point out that in the comics, Bane was just smart enough to figure it all out. Though I like the Talia explanation too.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:01 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Watched Hallmark's 1987 telefilm adaptation of The Secret Garden. I hadn't watched it in years and had forgotten how good it is. My favorite parts are the opening and closing present day scenes and any scene where Derek Jacobi appears. IMO, he absolutely steals the show as the grieving Archibald Craven; pity he didn't have more screen time.

There's one thing that always puzzled me, though. Was Craven titled/a knight or not? Since he lives at Misselthwaite Manor and the staff address his son as "Master Colin," he is obviously a well off man, but Mrs. Medlock always called him "Mr. Archibald" in conversation with the other staff. I'm not sure how Mr. Pitcher addressed him, however. Also, I've heard that in the sequel "Back to the Secret Garden" Colin is known as "Sir Colin Craven." Confused

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:23 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I watched The Avengers with commentary by Joss Whedon.

Slight movie spoilers below.

I usually love audio commentaries, but I didn't care for it. It was just with Joss Whedon and not anyone else, and usually the best parts of audio commentaries involve back-and-forth dialogues among small groups of people (the director, producer, writer, and maybe the lead actors).

The main things I learned from the commentary:

1. Whedon loves shots where an Asgardian is violently thrown out of frame.
2. Whedon is very much aware of his reputation for killing characters everybody loves.
3. Whedon loves the casting of Mark Ruffalo, saying that "he doesn't look like he wouldn't hurt a fly; he looks like he chooses not to hurt a fly."
4. Whedon loves the scenes where Hawkeye shoots something that he isn't looking at.
5. The Shawarma jokes weren't in the script. RDJ wanted something fun to talk about and Whedon threw out the Shawarma idea.

Some interesting and amusing things. He would occasionally point to a scene that's clearly 100% CGI (like Iron Man and Black Widow on an alien chariot flying through the city blasting Chitauri) and say "So that was all done with camera work. No visual effects there at all." I'd chuckle.

The worst thing though: the commentary ended at the start of the credits. All I wanted was to hear Joss Whedon acknowledge how awesome the Thanos scene was ("To challenge them is to court death"). And he cut out before that. FAIL.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:03 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^LOVE audio comentary! Smile

I saw the lastest trailer of The Host today...I don't think I ever wanted to watch a movie so badly! Can't wait for it to come out!!! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:55 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Watched All Superheros must die. I got it on a DVD from a friend, who (now) I guess just wanted me to suffer. Plus I highly suspect it was obtained illegally (silver disc with hand written ALL SUPERHEROS MUST DIE).

Still although I haven't paid a dime for this, I want my money (and time) back.
I mean there are just so few movies that can make Uwe Boll look like a genius.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:46 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Just finished Safety Not Guaranteed. Although I don't usually like romantic comedies, I really liked this one because two main characters were so unusual, even if it did have a few cliche moments.

Up next is Ruby Sparks!

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:06 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

So I was on quite a few flights this week, and saw quite a few movies on them:

Movies I'd seen before; wanted to re-watch:
1. Hotel Transylvania (so much fun).
2. Wreck-It Ralph (love it! Made me feel all of the feels)
3. The Flintstones (fun story, and John Goodman and Rick Moranis were the best casting EVER).
4. Green Lantern (not excellent, but still a fun comic book movie)

Movies I'd never seen, and are new:
5. Argo (loved it! Deserved every award!)
6. Looper (SO TERRIBLE. I thought the premise was cool, but the execution was godawful. Also, internally inconsistent, which bothered me a lot).

Movies I'd never seen, and are old(er):
7. The Producers (fun, but I think I'd like it more on stage).
8. The Stepford Wives (somewhat amusing, but somewhat boring too).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:34 pm Reply with quote  

Been rewatching I am Legend and it occurred to me: he's managed to scavange quite a bit of military equipment (and from several scenes it looks like there is quite a lot of military equipment still lying around). So why did he not scavange some night vision goggles? One scene where he enters a dark building to rescue his dog clearly demonstrates a case where night vission goggles would be preferable to a flashlight.

You'd think on an island as big as Manhatten there would be at least one pair of working night vision goggles!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:52 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Because they already used night vision sequences for such horror films as 28 Weeks Later, Quarantine, and One Night In Paris.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:52 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I went to see Silver Linings Playbook last night and really enoyed it.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:12 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Saw Spaceballs...wish I hadn't. *facepalm*
Yeah there were some places where I laughed but you can only take a Star Wars parody so far before it becomes idiotic. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:11 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

JainaSolo wrote:
Yeah there were some places where I laughed but you can only take a Star Wars parody so far before it becomes idiotic. Rolling Eyes

That's not Star Wars parodies. That's Mel Brooks films in general Smile

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:14 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral-DLOS wrote:
JainaSolo wrote:

That's not Star Wars parodies. That's Mel Brooks films in general Smile

LOL true...true... *nods in agreement*Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:26 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

JainaSolo wrote:

Do not like. Spaceballs is great, it was better than the prequels to me.

I dunno, maybe it's a generational thing. I grew up on all those cheesy 80's movies and commercials that this was satirizing.

So many great bits.

"Pizza the hut is going to take you out."

"Next our review of Rocky Five...Thousand."

"You call that a radar? No, I call it Mr. Coffee."

"Merchandising, where the real money from the movie is made. Spaceballs the breakfast cereal!"

"They've gone Plaid!"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 147 of 186