What Book are you reading now? (Other than Star Wars)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 80, 81, 82 ... 111, 112, 113  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:04 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
I don't know anything about Spiderman. Well, I know that racists were mad about something and that Spiderman meeting Obama was dumb, but nothing new for dumb things in comic books.

It was bored at 4 AM and too much caffeine.

I'm so out of the loop for comics. I went to the comic shop the other day and was intimidated that they had about 5 star wars titles I've never heard of, considering that I'm a member of a SW EU media news site.

I went to the anime store and bought vintage figures instead. I feel safe now.

The Star Wars/James Bond title Agent of the Empire is good, and the new Brian Wood series is off to an interesting start. I'm rather fond of Dawn of the Jedi. This is a good time for SW comics, jump in on it all.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:24 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
Reepicheep wrote:
...and How God Became King by N. T. Wright.

Let me know how that is, I've been wanting to read it. I'm assuming its outstanding but you know, gotta hear a review.

I'm finished and I quite enjoyed it. I've watched a bunch of Wright's lectures on YouTube and read a couple of his other books, so although a lot of the book's contents were things I had heard before, the new stuff was more than worthwhile.

The main idea of the book is that the Western Church has been taking the gospels apart and either focusing on Jesus' birth, death, and resurrection and not bothering with the middle part ("Get out of Hell free", "Jesus is the Only Way to Heaven" etc) or focusing on the middle part and ignoring the cross (e.g. social justice gospels). Wright attempts to bring both threads back together as a unified narrative and to balance escapist, "going to Heaven when we die" theology and "of-this-world" social justice agendas.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:36 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
Caedus_16 wrote:
Reepicheep wrote:
...and How God Became King by N. T. Wright.

Let me know how that is, I've been wanting to read it. I'm assuming its outstanding but you know, gotta hear a review.

I'm finished and I quite enjoyed it. I've watched a bunch of Wright's lectures on YouTube and read a couple of his other books, so although a lot of the book's contents were things I had heard before, the new stuff was more than worthwhile.

The main idea of the book is that the Western Church has been taking the gospels apart and either focusing on Jesus' birth, death, and resurrection and not bothering with the middle part ("Get out of Hell free", "Jesus is the Only Way to Heaven" etc) or focusing on the middle part and ignoring the cross (e.g. social justice gospels). Wright attempts to bring both threads back together as a unified narrative and to balance escapist, "going to Heaven when we die" theology and "of-this-world" social justice agendas.

I believe I'll be reading this.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:02 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I just picked up No Safety In Numbers by Dayna Lorentz. Teen lit about a bunch of people that get quarantined in a mall that gets threatened with a bomb. So far it's pretty fun. Very high-schooly though (the characters seem very focus with all the things that seem very important when you're 14-17, but when you're my age are pointless and infantile).

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:41 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Just finished Shadow of the Hegemon, continuing my Ender series read, having finished Ender's Game, Ender in Exile, Speaker for the Dead, and Ender's Shadow. It's nice this Bean storyline carries more of the feel of the original. Ender in Exile and Speaker for the Dead were great, but had a VERY different tone to them

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:21 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Finished Star Wars: The Scripts and now reading Sword and Scimitar by Simon Scarrow.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:26 pm Reply with quote  

Wait...what is Star Wars: Scripts? Is it just the scripts for the movies, or is it like a trivia book on the scripts?

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:09 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Yeah, it's just the scripts of the OT movies.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:48 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I picked up The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury. I've been meaning to read more Bradbury ever since I read Farenheit 451 last year and one of the stories in The Illustrated Man ("The Rocket Man") served as inspiration for one of my favourite songs of all time, "Deep Space" by Eisley. I'm also reading the second book of "The Fionavar Tapestry" trilogy, The Wandering Fire.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:21 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Voodoo Heart by Scott Snyder. Wonderful little book of short stories.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:33 pm Reply with quote  

Just finished reading The Wyvern's Spur by Jeff Grubb and Kate Novak (his wife). This is a fantasy story set in the Forgotten Realms. It's also part of a series, but honestly, you don't have to read the first book to dive into this one. It covers all the details you need to know, plus it doesn't star any of the main characters. And that's one of the things that makes it fun.

Rather than doing the normal sequel thing and just telling the story of what happens next for the primary characters, this one picks a side character and a character who was briefly mentioned and fleshes them out with their own story.

In this tale, Giogi, a noble, finds that his family's heirloom is missing and he has to help get it back. But there is a huge mystery element to the story. There's the matter of figuring out what the Wyvern's spur is, where it went, who wants it, and why. Then there are the mysteries around each character. The pacing and prose is really good. I give it a 5 out of 5 and recommend it to anyone who likes fantasy stories and who would like to see what else Jeff Grubb can do.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:42 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral-DLOS wrote:
I just picked up No Safety In Numbers by Dayna Lorentz. Teen lit about a bunch of people that get quarantined in a mall that gets threatened with a bomb. So far it's pretty fun. Very high-schooly though (the characters seem very focus with all the things that seem very important when you're 14-17, but when you're my age are pointless and infantile).

So I finished this book last week, and was thoroughly disappointed by one major point (mild spoiler).

There is no resolution.

Nowhere on the book does it saw "Book One." But on the last page, there's a twist (which I will not spoil), and then "Continued in Book Two!" which isn't out yet.

I probably wouldn't have picked up the book if I knew it was a series.

Also, on my vacation I read the following:

1. I finished John Dies At The End (I was about 80 pages in, but put it aside in November last year).
2. Alpha Flight 1-8
3. Guardians of the Galaxy 20-25
4. Journey into Mystery 622-626
5. Uncanny X-Force 14-19
6. Ultimatum 1-5
7. Wolverine and the X-Men 24
8. Astonishing X-Men 1-24 (the entire Joss Whedon run, less the last issue, which I don't have yet).

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:56 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Finished Sword and Scimitar. Now reading The Complete History of Jack the Ripper by Philip Sugden.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:01 pm Reply with quote  

Just finished reading an eARC for Peter V. Brett's The Daylight War. Great book. Truly magnificent storytelling. I'm definitely buying it in hardcover.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:35 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

After Skuls talked about it I purchased Full Dark, No Stars and am going to start it soon.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 81 of 113