What would you do?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
What would you do?
 PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:25 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I've been thinking about this ever since Disney bought Star Wars from Lucas. What would you do if Disney decided that once the new movies come out to basically discontinue the the current EU in it's entirety and start a new one based around the new movies?

At this point, I don't know if I would keep reading Star Wars novels. I've already spent a lot of money keep up with this one and don't know if I want to start a new investment with a whole new set of books. Such a switch would also be a good place to stop without leaving me wonder what's going to happen to X character. I'll admit that fact is certainly influencing my internal debate.

Now I personally don't have anything against them doing so, though I'll miss the characters. From a business stand point, it actually makes the best long term logic to have the book and other material line up with whatever they do with the movies.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:59 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'd be out. I've got nearly every EU novel and starting a whole new one would just drive me to not participate. The new ones would have to get reviews on this site staying that they're the best released thus far, then maybe.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:10 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

If they discontinued the old EU and started a new one, financially speaking, it'd be no different than them continuing to produce books in the current EU. You'd still buy the books.

I would personally wait and see if they're good books. I'm a fan of this current EU, I like it, but I don't buy every book just because it's Star Wars. I buy them based on the story, and how good it is. A Neo-EU book series would be subject to the same treatment.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Life is like the Force - Luke Skywalker, Crucible. Damn straight I am.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:30 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Financially speaking, I understand it would be same amount of money spent. But there's a small difference in starting a commitment up and continuing on. I'm far more likely to continue on that start one, for there are other things I'd spend the money on before starting a new long term commitment. And granted I don't buy every star wars books, but I do tend to follow characters which is one reason I love serial fiction works.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:30 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Werehunter wrote:
Financially speaking, I understand it would be same amount of money spent. But there's a small difference in starting a commitment up and continuing on. I'm far more likely to continue on that start one, for there are other things I'd spend the money on before starting a new long term commitment. And granted I don't buy every star wars books, but I do tend to follow characters which is one reason I love serial fiction works.

^This. If I have to start spending the money on an entire new continuity (a 'reboot' as the kids say these days) then I'd rather just save the money.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:46 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I wouldn't spend a cent on a new reboot. Then again, I haven't bought current EU for quite some time (I just use the library), so I guess there wouldn't be much of a financial change for me.

Would I read them? Probably, but just for Cantina discussion. On my own steam, I woudn't bother.

If it did happen, I'd be mildly peeved, but I'm too worn out on continuity issues to be really upset honestly.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:37 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Tough call really.

To me, it depends on what the new movies hold. If they're good/I enjoy them, then I'd probably buy into multiple continuities as I have with my other hobbies Transformers and G.I. Joe.

If not, ten I'd stick with what I enjoy and ignore the new stuff.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:17 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

I've slowed down my Star Wars purchasing as of late, choosing not to buy the hardcovers of Scoundrels or Mercy Kill, and I haven't gotten around to TOR: Annihilation yet (though that one I am buying hardcover). Furthermore, I've slowed down my Star Wars comic buying, choosing not to get Dark Times: Fire Carrier or the new volume of Legacy (though if the stories sound amazing I might TPB them later).

So right now, my purchasing is based on whether I feel I will enjoy them in comparison to other things I might be reading instead.

A Star Wars series that rebooted the EU, or that was set in an alternate EU, would not change that. If it looks interesting, I will check it out. If it does not look good, I will not.

But I don't fully understand the arguments made for not buying the books solely because they would, by nature of their design, contradict other books. Just because something retroactively doesn't "fit" anymore, would that mean you wasted money buying it? We had this same discussion in 2008-9 when The Clone Wars came out. Despite the [surprisingly few and surprisingly mild] continuity changes, the old Clone Wars novels and comics remain just as enjoyable as they ever were, and they've told some amazing new stories in The Clone Wars and its tie-ins. We all complained about the Mandalorians in TCW, but I just watched the Darth Maul/Mandalorians arc yesterday on onDemand, and the near-conclusion to the New Mandalorian story therein was amazing.

So let's give a [still-hypothetical] rebooted or alternate EU a chance before we condemn it.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:46 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I think it would depend on the new movies for me. If I liked the story line, direction, and characters of the new trilogy, I might give it a shot. I would still be very sad to see his EU go though.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:44 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I would be too sad about the old EU being rendered pointless to really care about a new EU. The old EU would remain my headcanon and I would only read new EU stuff if it was phenomenal.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:50 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Tash Arranda wrote:
I would be too sad about the old EU being rendered pointless to really care about a new EU. The old EU would remain my headcanon and I would only read new EU stuff if it was phenomenal.

I ask again, in what way would the old EU be "rendered pointless"?

The point of the EU is to entertain. If you are entertained by reading Star Wars books, then they have done their job effectively. Continuity is all well and good, but rendering them differently-canon does not retroactively make them unenjoyable.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:05 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I read Star Wars novels because they're good stories, not because they're canon stories. If the EU is erased or reset, I would still re-read the good stories, because they're good stories. Heck, I may still re-read the bad stories at some point simply for nostalgia's sake. Likewise, I'd read the new stories for the same reason.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:23 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Crash Override wrote:
I read Star Wars novels because they're good stories, not because they're canon stories. If the EU is erased or reset, I would still re-read the good stories, because they're good stories. Heck, I may still re-read the bad stories at some point simply for nostalgia's sake. Likewise, I'd read the new stories for the same reason.

Not all stories are good stories, but a lot of good stories are built on tons of other stories.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:52 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
Crash Override wrote:

Not all stories are good stories, but a lot of good stories are built on tons of other stories.

I agree that a narrative can achieve more if it's given more length and spread out across multiple stories, whether it be a duology, trilogy, or longer. But in Star Wars I can't think off hand of any story which truly had its narrative elevated through continuity with an unrelated story in a way that couldn't have been achieved anyway, e.g. minor plot hooks. There's not really any sense of character development throughout the EU, as the next narrative only uses what's convenient, and typically discards the rest.

That being said, my opinion is only that. Good and bad are subjective, and good and canon might be synonymous for some people, or a story being canon might be a prerequisite for a story to be good.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:22 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Caedus_16 wrote:
Crash Override wrote:

Ok, but any book in existence can be said to be based off backstory not featured in the book. The entire universe of any book didn't spontaneously start with the first page. Things happened to the characters before the book starts, and those happenings inform the decisions and the motivation of the character.

Let's say Fate of the Jedi #1: Outcast was the first Star Wars thing ever published. A lot happened before the start of that book, especially recently. It could be said that the entire series follows directly from the outcome of the Legacy of the Force series, which in turn stems directly from untold events before The Dark Nest Trilogy. But it's possible to set up the books with enough backstory in it so that I understand what's happening.

A lot happened in the world before the events depicted in The Hunger Games, but that book was still amazing. In fact, part of the fun is piecing together what happened in the backstory.

When I first got into the EU, I was reading the New Jedi Order books. They constantly referenced things from past series, but that didn't prevent me from enjoying the NJO. A good author provides enough backstory so that any one book (or miniseries) can be read by itself without knowing the larger context.

If I hadn't read The Crystal Star: 1- I'd be a happier man, and 2- I would've still understood references to Hethrir and Waru from later books.

So yes, if a Star Wars book is good, then it should be bought and read. If it isn't, don't buy it, don't read it, and buy the next one. You won't miss anything. The next book will fill in relevant backstory, and if you really want to read more, there's Wookieepedia or the library.

But no, I do not buy that "good stories can be based on bad stories, therefore I must read all stories, regardless of quality."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 1 of 3