Favorite Television Shows
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 61, 62, 63 ... 71, 72, 73  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:18 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I've found myself watching fewer and fewer TV shows and instead more and more Youtube shows. My favourites thus far are:

-Felicia Day's "The Flog"
-Wil Wheaton's "Tabletop"
-Vlog Brothers
-Crash Course
-Various shows on Hank Games (namely Hank and Katherine play New Super Mario Bros. Wii (and Wii U), and The Miracle of Swindon Town)
-The Brain Scoop
-The Lizzie Bennet Diaries
-Squaresville
-Some of the musicals on AVByte (like the Disney Princess Leia one, here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRMFH71fDIE&list=PLA703F8068E250781&index=4)
-etc.

Furthermore, I found the Youtube app on my PS3 and now I watch the videos in hi-def. I synced my Youtube account with my PSN account, and paired my PS3 with my iPod Touch, so I can find the video in Safari and play in on the big screen. Good times.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:37 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Merlin's final season to be released on DVD and Blu Ray in United States and Canada April 9th! Yippee!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:58 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

I tried to watch Strike Back, which was hailed as the UK equivalent to NYPD Blue. Within 30 minutes, there were 3 sex scenes and 8 boob shots. All completely gratuitous. I think I'll pass. I put Southland on hold, so I can get my cops fix that way instead.

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:46 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

On NYPD Blue they just showed butts.

And of course they said the S word, which was a big deal at the time and then hilariously just amounted to one scene where someone says, "bull****."
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:33 pm Reply with quote  

So for those Game of Thrones fans who haven't heard HBO officially announced that Peter Dinklage (Tyrion Lannister) is going to be replaced in Season 4 by Warwick Davis (most well known to us as Wicket): http://hbowatch.com/peter-dinklage-april-season-four/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:14 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

April Fools joke. Would be very disappointed if he was replaced, Dinklage has done a great job as Tyrion
F*** these chains
No damn slave
I will be different!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:58 pm Reply with quote  

that it was. I thought it was pretty well done though, gave me a small heart attack when it popped up on my Facebook newsfeed the other day but still was entertaining.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:19 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I have been threatened with pain by my coworker if I do not try Arrested Development. Should I watch it or not and risk her ire?

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:31 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I think Arrested Development is probably the funniest show on TV, but humor is subjective. It's mainly deadpan absurdism, puns, slapstick and inside/reoccuring jokes.

For instance the character of Tobias Funke, whose name is a joke, is a closeted gay man and is totally obvious to the fact that is obvious to everyone else, and he is constantly making double entendres that point this out. In one episode he unknowingly purchases a gay bar called "The Queen Mary", and then tries to change the name to "Tobias's Queen Mary", but the title is instead rendered as "Tobias Is Queen Mary".
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:42 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
I think Arrested Development is probably the funniest show on TV, but humor is subjective. It's mainly deadpan absurdism, puns, slapstick and inside/reoccuring jokes.

For instance the character of Tobias Funke, whose name is a joke, is a closeted gay man and is totally obvious to the fact that is obvious to everyone else, and he is constantly making double entendres that point this out. In one episode he unknowingly purchases a gay bar called "The Queen Mary", and then tries to change the name to "Tobias's Queen Mary", but the title is instead rendered as "Tobias Is Queen Mary".

"There's a man I'd like to kiss between the cheeks, if you know what I mean."

Walker is right, Arrested Development is probably one of my favourite shows. Hilarious, well-written, etc. It's just amazing. Go for it.

Especially since next month the new episodes should be out on Netflix.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:11 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Has Game Of Thrones jumped the shark?

I'm starting to understand how fanboys feel about Walking Dead. As in they complain that the show not only omits significant parts of the source material, but replaces it with stupid and pointless scenes that don't even further the plot.

But in that case the show openly acknowledges that it is an alternative story, I don't get the justification in GOT.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:07 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
Has Game Of Thrones jumped the shark?

GoT probably won't jump the shark, the entirety of it isn't different arcs but one long one building to a conclusion with tons of foreshadowing.

As to its justification I can't say it has any more justification than almost any other television show. There's no reason for most of them, they don't really offer much anymore in terms of artistic direction. GoT is an engaging story with just enough nonsense to make it fun sometimes in light of the heavy story. If you're waiting for it to end before you watch it I'd say you've got a long way to go.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:44 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Well like I said it's fanboyish, but my gripe isn't that they omit or change material to make it workable for TV because that is a sure to happen when you transfer between mediums. Sometimes it helps.

For example the addition of Tywin Lannister at Harrenhall in season two was arguably an improvement. The condensing of Tyrion's plans for the Blackwater battle might have annoyed some fans, but it didn't hurt the plot.

My complaints are for scenes that are changed that don't seem to help the show in any way. A small one would be the elimination of Lemoncloak. They swapped his character with Thoros, who is more meaningful, but they also included extras in their band so they could have easily left him with no complication by including an extra with a yellow cloak on. That would have payed a fan service to leave him him that way. Taking him out altogether achieves nothing.

More significantly is the changing of Jane Westerling to the show only character of Talissa of Lys, and Vargo Hoat to show only Locke of House Bolton. By removing these characters you are taking away the motivations they have that cause important events in the narrative. Replacing them with characters that do not have the same motivations built into the original's means their actions make no sense and that hurts the story.

Hoat did what he did in order to save himself from Tywin by turning him against the Boltons. Locke doing it means that Tywin will turn against the Boltons and now want to kill him when he previously had no problem with either of them. That makes no sense.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:31 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
Well like I said it's fanboyish, but my gripe isn't that they omit or change material to make it workable for TV because that is a sure to happen when you transfer between mediums. Sometimes it helps.

For example the addition of Tywin Lannister at Harrenhall in season two was arguably an improvement. The condensing of Tyrion's plans for the Blackwater battle might have annoyed some fans, but it didn't hurt the plot.

My complaints are for scenes that are changed that don't seem to help the show in any way. A small one would be the elimination of Lemoncloak. They swapped his character with Thoros, who is more meaningful, but they also included extras in their band so they could have easily left him with no complication by including an extra with a yellow cloak on. That would have payed a fan service to leave him him that way. Taking him out altogether achieves nothing.

More significantly is the changing of Jane Westerling to the show only character of Talissa of Lys, and Vargo Hoat to show only Locke of House Bolton. By removing these characters you are taking away the motivations they have that cause important events in the narrative. Replacing them with characters that do not have the same motivations built into the original's means their actions make no sense and that hurts the story.

Hoat did what he did in order to save himself from Tywin by turning him against the Boltons. Locke doing it means that Tywin will turn against the Boltons and now want to kill him when he previously had no problem with either of them. That makes no sense.

I...I'm not quite that far in the novels yet, but with some transfers between mediums its difficult to swallow when they change it. I'll have to get to the characters you're talking about to make up my own mind but it sounds like genuine reasons to find it frustrating.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:09 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

It seems like they do it as a matter of expedience in transferring between media, but they don't plan ahead. Like Khal Drogo kills a guy in season 1 that doesn't die in the book, and...

I tend to think The Walking Dead is a better way of conversion because it doesn't feel any obligation to the source material beyond inspiration. Thus it *shouldn't* have the same situation where it's mirroring events with a different character whom has no motivation to being doing it, because there's no obligation to mirror events.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 62 of 73