Random Thing of the Day
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 39, 40, 41  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:13 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Life Is The Path wrote:
I'm not familiar of the intricacies of weight, so can someone help me? Is the loss of 3lbs in 18 days a lot, or a little, or negligible?

First of all, dude, you're British. What's with this "pounds" thing? You lost money? Because I thought the UK used metric like a normal person.

But I'll forgive it since you used the term "weight", whereas kilograms measure "mass." Razz

A good, healthy weight loss plan involving eating right and exercise should let you shed about a pound a week. So 3 pounds in a little under 3 weeks is good.

If you lose it any quicker, and I think you increase the chances of it coming back in force (like you can lose weight really fast under Atkins, but what happens when you stop doing Atkins?)

So, good on you.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:02 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

I was trying to Americanise it for our US members Razz . I had to look up metric weight conversion charts from kg to lbs and everything!

And thanks for the congratulations Smile . But ... the problem is I'm not trying to lose weight (trying to avoid this word now Razz ). For the past few months I've noticed that I've been losing weight -even during Christmas, where I'd expect to put it on. I can't say for sure how much I weighed, and how much I lost, since I didn't have any scales at the time, but when I visited the doctor at the beginning of February she put me in at 47.5kg, and earlier this week at 46kg - quite underweight, for my age and size. So now I'm trying to put the weight back on by eating fattier foods, eating more - which is also not good because I'm currently suffering from an extended bout of nausea.

And while I'm at the listing of things going wrong with Life, have you heard of Hypnagogic and hypnopompic states? It's this thing where you suffer from hallucinations, sleep paralysis, and/or waking nightmares either as you go to sleep, or are just waking up. I've been suffering from all three for the past week, at least once a night (four events last night).
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Life is like the Force - Luke Skywalker, Crucible. Damn straight I am.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:48 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I've decided to leave the forums.

May will mark my graduation with my Bachelor's Degree. Then I'll have either go back for my Master's Degree this fall or get a job. If I'm able to go back for my Master's, the workload is likely to be even tougher than my undergraduate studies and I will need to put priority on my schoolwork. Getting a job will also mean major changes in my life, especially if my hours are flexible instead of being set.

To put it bluntly, I've got to begin paying attention to important things instead of frivolous pursuits, hence my decision to leave. I'll still be reading posts occassionally, but won't do any posting of my own. At this point I have no idea when, if ever, I will return to posting here. Perhaps in a few months, once I have a clearer picture of where my life is heading, I might come back. If not, I want to thank everyone who has replied to my posts over the last two years. I've enjoyed talking with every one of you about more than just Star Wars. God bless each one of you.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:47 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ And God bless you (if it means anything coming from an atheist like me (yeah I had to do it Laughing ))

You will be missed Alan Skywalker V, you will be missed.

I hope the best of things for you in the future and I think you just might get them.

Life brings hope and pain (actual life not ours beloved Life Is The Path Laughing )
Stick to hope, disregard the pain.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:24 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Its been great having you here Alan, you will be missed!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:44 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Good luck Alan, and as Caedus said: you will be missed!
God bless and may the Force be with you!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:54 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

You will indeed be missed, Alan. Good luck in your endeavours, and may the Force be with you.

Hogy wrote:

Life brings hope and pain (actual life not ours beloved Life Is The Path Laughing )
Stick to hope, disregard the pain.

What?! Of course I can bring the hope. I bring the hope, damnit! Now say I bring the hope, before I start bringing the pain, Mr T style! Razz
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:59 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Ok ok. Life brings hope. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:07 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darn tootin'. Now let me bring the hope ...

... Mr T style.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:04 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

All the best, Alan. God bless. Smile

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:31 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Guys...I died doing this quiz:

http://www.funtrivia.com/newflash/trivia.cfm?qid=32251

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:16 pm Reply with quote  

So I've been puzzling over a name for my fencing foil. Recently it hit me "why not use the Irish word for lightning?" Now I know I could just do a Google search and I'd probably be ok but I'd truly hate to name my foil [insert word] and then find out that it means something completely different (as many who get tattoos in an Asian script seem to find out).

Thus rather than rely on the internet and hope the all knowing Google did not mislead me (I know...Google could tell you something that isn't true? Shocked ) I thought I'd ask if any of you linguistics/European members of the forums are familiar with Irish and know what the word is (also how to pronounce it, I'd like to at least try to minimize language butchery).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:40 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Sorry, I can't help. I know Scots Gaelic, and know only a little Irish Erse. I'll have a look myself, see if anything looks familiar, but if you can find it out, though, I could probably help you with pronunciation.

If you want to learn how to say 'are you drunk yet?' in Irish, let me know Wink . *

EDIT: Below is what I think to be correct, but if you're not happy with it, and can't find it with certainty, here are two near-enough words (that are somewhat menacing, in my opinion) of which I am certain, if you can settle for them. 'Storm', spelled Stoirm. Pronounced 'stirm'. Or 'frost'. Sioc, pronounced shuk.

From what I gather, lightning is 'tintreach', which, I think, would be pronounced 'chin-trokh'. The chin at the beginning would be like how you would pronounce chin (as in hair on my chinny chin chin). Trokh would be pronounced like loch. The first syllable would be ever so slightly shorter than how we'd normally pronounce the word 'chin', with trokh at normal length. The t needs to sound a little fuzzy, like a trilled T, but not quite near ch.

I should point out that there is, of course, a difference in how you and I would say loch, according to our different accents. So I'd need you to imagine how I, or a Scot, would say it, instead of the aw version that is used in the American accent.

I got 'tintreach' from irishionary.com, which lists it as a validated word. That's the best I can do, without tracking down an Irish dictionary at a library.

*(Okay, I want to show off, so the phrase is 'An bhfuil tú ar meisce fós?' Pronounced 'On will too air mesh-keh fohss?')

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:49 am Reply with quote  

I saw this on Facebook...and it works. Pretty cool. You don't have to use colored marker either and it works for bigger numbers too.

Yes, now you may have some fun with math. Cool

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:21 pm Reply with quote  

thanks Life! With St. Patrick's Day coming up here in the States that phrase might be useful! Wink

thanks for finding out Tintreach! Oh how confusing language is that it looks like the first part should be pronounced "tin" (like the metal) but apparently isn't! (my inability to comprehend why languages do this may be why I will never be a translator for the UN :p )

To explain why I was going with "lightning": in my fencing club I've gotten a bit of reputation for my reflexes. Thus lightning seemed like a fitting name (and I picked Irish as a nod to the part of my family that is of Irish descent; it seemed better than going with "Blitz" as a nod to the German part of my family given what Blitz means to some people).

Now I just need to work on learning how to properly pronouce the word...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 33 of 41