'William Shakespeare's Star Wars' by Ian Doescher
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
'William Shakespeare's Star Wars' by Ian Doescher
 PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:26 pm Reply with quote  

Random House has unveiled a new Star Wars book entitled William Shakespeare's Star Wars. It will be written by Ian Doescher. Here's the synopsis.

Quote:
May the verse be with you! Inspired by one of the greatest creative minds in the English language—and William Shakespeare—here is an officially licensed retelling of George Lucas’s epic Star Wars in the style of the immortal Bard of Avon. The saga of a wise (Jedi) knight and an evil (Sith) lord, of a beautiful princess held captive and a young hero coming of age, Star Wars abounds with all the valor and villainy of Shakespeare’s greatest plays. Reimagined in glorious iambic pentameter, William Shakespeare’s Star Wars will astound and edify learners and masters alike. Zounds! This is the book you’re looking for.

Release date is set at August 6, 2013

Source: http://www.randomhouse.com/book/226524/william-shakespeares-star-wars-by-ian-doescher

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:33 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Well....that's....interesting.

I do hope that's not the "previously unannounced" novel they were teasing a week or so ago.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:07 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Out of everything I expected, that was no where on the list.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:07 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Darth_Henning wrote:
Well....that's....interesting.

I do hope that's not the "previously unannounced" novel they were teasing a week or so ago.

X2 on that

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:29 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm...tentatively excited about this. I like it as an idea, but if its not done just right it'll be so awful.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:30 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

My biggest worry is that outside of actually seeing them acted, much of Shakespeare's isn't that great. They are great plays, but don't read well. And I highly doubt this will ever end up being acted out.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:30 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Shakespeare and Star Wars? I like the sound of this.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:01 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Doesn't this sound more like a really fun Tumblr or blog? and not an actual mass produced and licensed book?
www.FanboysTalking.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:25 pm Reply with quote  

Personally, I haven't read much Shakespeare and I'm not much of a fan. Reading Star Wars written in Shakespeare's style doesn't interest me as a book. But as Murray mentioned, it would be fun to read on a blog or Tumblr. I just don't see the market for this as a product you pay for.

Unless they jazz it up with awesome artwork ala The Essential Guide to Warfare and The Essential Readers Guide. That could make it tempting.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:34 pm Reply with quote  

Now has a cover...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:56 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

EVERYTHING ABOUT THAT IS AMAZING.

Fandom = rekindled.

WANT.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:13 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16: Sigh...

*At this point in the scene Caedus_16 withdraws his wallet from his pocket and contemplates whether or not he can truly afford this ridiculous excess, decides he doesn't care, and pre-orders it knowing he'll probably suffer for it down the road.*

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:42 pm Reply with quote  

Oh, I forgot to post the link, it includes two excerpts so you can see what you're getting.

Link: http://edelweiss.abovethetreeline.com/ProductDetailPage.aspx?sku=1594746370

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:58 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Oh, I forgot to post the link, it includes two excerpts so you can see what you're getting.

Link: http://edelweiss.abovethetreeline.com/ProductDetailPage.aspx?sku=1594746370

And now I'm passed sold. I've reached happy.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:16 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

I was looking through Wookieepedia and discovered that this actually came out on the 2nd of July. Checking Amazon and several other places, it's indeed out now (Waterstones has its release date as 27th of June). Has anyone bought this? If so, what did you think?

I confess that I'm quite intrigued, despite not being a big fan of Shakespeare, though I don't think I'll be getting it just yet, as I've a lot of books waiting impatiently to be read already.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 2