What EU Book Are You Reading Now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 128, 129, 130 ... 143, 144, 145  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:25 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

JainaSolo wrote:
I just finished The Clone Wars: Wild Space. It's the first Clone Wars book I have read and I am pleased to say that I found it quite amazing. It was actually nice to read a bit about Bail Organa and found the whole Bail-Obi-Wan rivalry extremely amusing. And I now have a new found respect for Obi-Wan after seeing how he suffered on Zigoola. I found Ashoka, as always, extremely annoying. Razz

You'll enjoy the other TCW books too. Frankly, I hated Wild Space, so everything else is uphill.

No Prisoners is a bit weird, I'll be honest. Karen Traviss put a lot of interesting ideas together, but some of them don't pan out at all. But it was still a cool book.

The Clone Wars Gambit duology (Stealth and Siege) were amazing. You'll love them.

The books collectively have some pretty weird ideas though. I think they were the first to include the notion that Jedi have sex with each other. Not out of attachment, but out of the biological urge that most humans have, in an as-unattached-as-possible way. They also tried to set up a weird "Ahsoka has a crush on Anakin" thing, but that not a single TV episode ever ran with.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:55 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Haven't been around here for ages!

I just finished a Michael Reaves marathon, reading all of his books apart from Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter which I had already read.

I have to say that I was hugely impressed with everything I read. I loved how Michael's characters, especially I5YQ and Den Duhr, develop through the different time periods he writes in.

To be honest I wasn't looking forward to the Medstar Duology or Death Star but was more than pleasantly surprised by both.

I now rank Michael as one of my favourite Star Wars authors and hope that there is more to come from him in the future.

http://soundcloud.com/city-approach

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:18 pm Reply with quote  

I do like Reaves stuff. The Medstar Duology is probably my favorite. Him and Steve Perry did a real good job on that project.

Currently I've been reading Star Wars short stories and diving into the Star Wars Adventure Journals. They're pretty cool.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:59 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Where can I find things like the adventure journals? Are they accessible online?

Reading through ERC makes me realise how much stuff I'm missing although I own all the novels!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:29 pm Reply with quote  

I've been buying mine off eBay and Amazon but you can get some free, illegal copies online. At least I guess their illegal. I don't know what the statute of limitations is on out-of-print books.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:01 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I think the statute of limitations applies to when the police are hunting you for doing something illegal. If you haven't been found guilty of downloading that pirated book in X years, then they can't convict you.

As for when the appear in the public domain and can be downloaded legally by anybody, I'd say it's whenever the trademark lapses. Probably several more decades at least.

But back to the Adventure Journals: many of the stories therein are also found in the books "Tales from the Empire" and "Tales from the New Republic." Those books can often still be found at large bookstores. I picked my copies up at Chapters.

But otherwise I'd either check eBay or keep your eyes peeled at used bookstores and second-hand stores.

As for what I'm reading? When I'm done my current non-SW book, I'll be reading The Old Republic: Annihilation. Just got it from Amazon (along with The Last Jedi).
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:41 pm Reply with quote  

Worth noting, the Star Wars Adventure Journals are not magazines (which was the assumption I was under). They're actually trade paperback size and nearly 300 pages in length. Plus the short stories are pretty lengthy. Way longer than the ones Star Wars Insider runs.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:17 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Finished Dark Tide, 2 Down a mountain more to go, NJO is nice and dark.

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:42 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

About half way through Riptide, not enjoying it much. I don't think much of Kemp's writing style to be honest, I feel like each character and location only has the bare bones of a description. Example if I didn't know what a Cerean looks like, I would have no idea about Marr's appearance. Not impressed, having said that Crosscurrent disappointed me too so I'm not completely surprised.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:48 am Reply with quote  

I'm reading The Black Sands of Socorro by Patricia A. Jackson. It's a West End Games sourcebook. Kinda neat. Real in depth look at the planet Socorro.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral-DLOS wrote:
I think the statute of limitations applies to when the police are hunting you for doing something illegal. If you haven't been found guilty of downloading that pirated book in X years, then they can't convict you.

As for when the appear in the public domain and can be downloaded legally by anybody, I'd say it's whenever the trademark lapses. Probably several more decades at least.

It's the prerogative of the copyright holder to enforce violations, so even though the publisher or whomever still holds copyright on those materials, they might not even exist as a company anymore and won't care. If that is the case then technically it's OK. Copyright law is a civil matter, not a criminal one, so you aren't committing a crime just by downloading something, although it's probably best not to encourage it on here in any form.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:25 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Just had to come back and share something amazing! Going to be running a bit of a rabbit here, but bear with me.

For years I have been the only one in the family who reads SW. No one else does, nor do any of my friends. Talking with all of you here on the 'Net is great, but can't quite compare to having a real person to talk to.

A few weeks ago Dad was out in town and met an old friend of ours from our former church. They got to talking and the friend revealed that he was a SW fan and was reading some of the books. Dad immediately told him about my book collection. The friend came over one evening not long after and stayed for about an hour to chat SW.

We agreed that he could borrow any of my books that he had not read yet. He chose the Dark Lord Trilogy(LOE, ROTS, and DL: TRODV) as the first books to borrow. In return, he had bought over some of his own books, none of which I had never read before. Death Star and the first NINE X Wing books. In the last two weeks I have read Rogue Squadron, Wedge's Gamble, and Krytos Trap and was BLOWN AWAY. Absolutely stellar writing about characters other than the Big Three(though their cameos are nice too). Krytos Trap, in particular, kept me on tenterhooks the whole time I was reading it.

But it was this that really surprised and yet pleased me, too: He had read Plagueis and really enjoyed it. Now here comes the real shocker:

After listening to us talk about it and how it put a completely different spin on TPM, my mother, who has never read a SW EU work, whether book, comic, ect., in her life and has just barely tolerated my SW fandom in the last decade, is reading Plagueis. She said it's pretty good so far. Surprised

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:43 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

That's awesome, Alan. Smile

I have a couple friends at school that I can talk with about the EU, but they're only very casual fans. I don't know anyone who keeps up with the SW EU like I do.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:07 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:

I have a couple friends at school that I can talk with about the EU, but they're only very casual fans. I don't know anyone who keeps up with the SW EU like I do.

Sadly that's my experience as well Reep. Friends who are fans and honestly interested in the wider universe, but it has become too wide for them to want to get into at this point.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:14 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
Reepicheep wrote:

Sadly that's my experience as well Reep. Friends who are fans and honestly interested in the wider universe, but it has become too wide for them to want to get into at this point.

That sounds about right. My wife listens to me go on about Star Wars EU stuff (and comic book stuff) and she is somewhat interested, in that she retains what we discuss and asks follow-up questions and what-not, but that's it. She's not interested in Star Wars books, and doesn't care for comics as a medium, but we can have interesting chats about the subject. We do the same when it comes to her teen lit stuff (most of which nowadays is either Dystopian Future or Steampunk).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 129 of 145