Random Thing of the Day
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 40, 41, 42  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:05 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Hehe. Glad I could be of some help Smile . And I shouldn't worry about the 'tin' thing. Lenition - where the type of vowel before or after the consonant dictates how the consonant is pronounced - is very confusing even in English and Russian, and taken to a whole other degree in the celtic languages.

That sounds really cool, the reason behind your choosing 'lightning'. Pretty awesome skills, mate Smile . Though I quite agree, 'blitz' would probably be the wrong choice. Over here, for example, 'blitz' describes the blitzkrieg, the bombings of towns during the war.

Good luck!
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:32 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Why don't you name your foil "Thor"? Wink

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:01 pm Reply with quote  

Quote:
Though I quite agree, 'blitz' would probably be the wrong choice. Over here, for example, 'blitz' describes the blitzkrieg, the bombings of towns during the war.

That was my thinking, one of my neighbors lived through the Blitz so I know that naming my foil "Blitz" would make her very uncomfortable. I suppose the only variation I could do that might be ok would be "Blitzschlag" which I understand means "lightning strike" though that too might be iffy.

Cerrinea wrote:
Why don't you name your foil "Thor"? Wink

Ha I suppose I could now that you mention it. It would probably amuse most of the club members who are big fans of The Avengers movie. I'd have to check to make sure that the name hasn't already been used (all of the club's Epees, one of the three weapon types in fencing, have names).

Assuming it hasn't been used and Tintreach prooves too difficult for me to learn how to pronounce Thor will be my plan B. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:00 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Happy International Women's Day ladies.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:18 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

So, this past weekend was the conclusion of SXSW, a big gaming convention (if I understand correctly).

At this convention, Marvel Comics made some announcements about how it was going to expand more into the digital realm, with new digital-exclusive "Infinite" series, new "Marvel AR" stuff (where, if you point your tablet at certain panels of your comic book, videos will start to play), and some weird soundtrack feature for digital comics reading.

Also, they had a promotion: for Sunday and Monday, pretty much every single "Issue #1" that Marvel had digital copies of (over 700 titles) would be free on the Marvel App and through Comixology (the digital comic site that powers the app, and hosts the digital libraries of the vast majority of the comics market share, Dark Horse being the main outsider from this).

This sale got so much attention, that it broke Comixology. The digital marketplace was unavailable for about 48 hours.

Comixology did a really good job of tackling the problem though. You could tell that they were working around the clock to fix it, and they had various twitter feeds to respond to inquiries, personally addressing almost every person who tweeted in questions about why they couldn't access their accounts.

They suspended the sale for the time being, and will bring it back later. The CEO personally apologized for the entire debacle.

Also, I was able to get a bunch of #1s and one-shots (the app still let me "buy" the free titles, but I couldn't download or read them till this morning). There were a few others I wanted, so when the sale renews, I'll be back.

But I find it amusing that Marvel and Comixology announced that they were giving away 700 free titles, but were unprepared for the response.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:29 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Mother of Freaky Coincidences: This morning's local paper front page headlines:Mum's Last Gift (this article was about a woman who died giving birth to twins, yes ladies and gentlemen, a boy and a girl) and Man Burns to Death (you can only guess what that was about). I was like Shocked when I saw it. Confused

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:27 pm Reply with quote  

So talking with a friend in fencing I have gotten strong encouragment to use Tintreach as my foil's name and as I've gotten much better I'm strongly inclined to make it official in the near future.

A quick question regarding pronouciation: I was doing a Google search for a website that has an audio file with the pronouciation (Irish on Google Translate is sadly one of the few languages without audio). I found this site with one pronounciation: http://www.forvo.com/word/tintreach/

So my two questions: 1) it doesn't sound like they quite trill the T in "tin" as you suggested Life but using that as a baseline should it be more trilled or is that just about right (as I'm unfamiliar with any Gaelic languages I want to try to avoid making the rookie mistake of exagerating sounds that are actually supposed to be subtle) ? 2) is the "treach" part an approximate way you suggested pronoucing it similar to how "loch" is pronounced?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:21 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

1) Yes, that recording is about right. I should have been more clear (though I'm just going to blame celtic languages, here), there's a fair bit of variation with lenition - as well as the different dialects and accents. Perhaps 'chin' was too strong, but I'm struggling to find a more apt way of writing the alliteration. Perhaps 'tchin'? A fuzzy T in 'tin'? Imagine 'ch' to be squashed up so that the sound takes half the time to say it normally? Perhaps if I describe how I say it, that could be of help. First, say the English word 'tin'. Now say 'chin'. Notice how tin is made with your tongue on, or near, your teeth. Notice, now, how chin is made with your tongue further back and touching or near the roof of your mouth. (If you're an alien, the last two sentences may not apply to you.) Try to fuzzy up the t in the 'teeth-made' tin so that it approaches ch, but not quite a full ch(in), as it sounds approximately like the recording.

I'm sorry I can't be more accurate. The recording is definitely right, though. Whenever in doubt, always go with the way you hear it from a good source. In this case, a native Irisher.

2) I know this sounds silly and makes me out to be a buffoon, but to be honest, I'm having some difficulty understanding this second question. I'm a little bit ill, and my head feels like it's full of cotton balls. Consequently (or at least I hope so, I'd be worried if this was the norm for me) reading comprehension has gone head first out the window. Please forgive me if I'm wrong (or not, it's entirely up to you). The way I read it is as thus: is the way 'treach' is pronounced in the recording how I had attempted to convey it in written form in my previous post? If that's the case: yes.

Having listened to the recording, I'm struck with another way I could have explained it. The way 'truck' is pronounced in a broad Yorkshire Dale accent. I'm not entirely sure that explanation is of much use, however.

To reiterate, that recording fits with how I had heard the word in my mind, and fits with what I know of the rules of pronunciation. For what it's worth, I give the recording my seal of approval.

If my reading comprehension truly has gone the way of the Dodo bird, from my current ill state, and I haven't in the slightest answered your questions, I sincerely apol- blame someone else entirely. Not my fault. *Whistles casually*
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:21 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Blimey, I am a bit long-winded. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:37 pm Reply with quote  

Life Is The Path wrote:
1) Yes, that recording is about right. I should have been more clear (though I'm just going to blame celtic languages, here), there's a fair bit of variation with lenition - as well as the different dialects and accents. Perhaps 'chin' was too strong, but I'm struggling to find a more apt way of writing the alliteration. Perhaps 'tchin'? A fuzzy T in 'tin'? Imagine 'ch' to be squashed up so that the sound takes half the time to say it normally? Perhaps if I describe how I say it, that could be of help. First, say the English word 'tin'. Now say 'chin'. Notice how tin is made with your tongue on, or near, your teeth. Notice, now, how chin is made with your tongue further back and touching or near the roof of your mouth. (If you're an alien, the last two sentences may not apply to you.) Try to fuzzy up the t in the 'teeth-made' tin so that it approaches ch, but not quite a full ch(in), as it sounds approximately like the recording.

I'm sorry I can't be more accurate. The recording is definitely right, though. Whenever in doubt, always go with the way you hear it from a good source. In this case, a native Irisher.

That's all really helpful, now I have an idea of exactly how to make those pronunciation sounds. To my knowledge I am of the species human from the planet Earth so I think your guide will help. Then again maybe I'm a sleeper agent waiting to be activated, kinda like the human looking cylons. Wink

Quote:
2) I know this sounds silly and makes me out to be a buffoon, but to be honest, I'm having some difficulty understanding this second question. I'm a little bit ill, and my head feels like it's full of cotton balls. Consequently (or at least I hope so, I'd be worried if this was the norm for me) reading comprehension has gone head first out the window. Please forgive me if I'm wrong (or not, it's entirely up to you). The way I read it is as thus: is the way 'treach' is pronounced in the recording how I had attempted to convey it in written form in my previous post? If that's the case: yes.

You were spot on in your reading comprehension. I may have been failing at basic writing skills, I wrote that during a week that involved a lot of stress and writing for classes and my brain may have just decided to turn proof reading off for all non-essential writing activities.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:17 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Laughing

Glad to be of help Smile

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:24 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

If anyone in Canada or the UK has seen the TV miniseries Labyrinth based on the 2005 novel of the same name by Kate Mosse,

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

I would greatly appreciate it if I could have an answer because I would really like to be able to finish watching this miniseries.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:16 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The Duke-Louisville matchup in American basketball that determined who the final team for the Final Four would be; six minutes thirty-three seconds left in the twenty minute first half -

then Louisville player Kevin Ware broke his right leg. According to reports, it was a compund fracture. Many of the other Louisville players and their coach as well as Duke players and many fans in the stadium were in tears.

I was watching the game on TV, but missed seeing the accident when it happened and am SO glad that the news station which broadcast the game quickly stopped showing replays ; I probably would have gotten sick.

Please, keep Kevin Ware in your thoughts tonight. With the injury he suffered, even if he doesn't lose his leg and is able to walk on it again, his basketball career is most likely over.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:45 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Okay, very random thing Razz: Whenever I hear the song "Smooth Criminal" of Michael Jackson it reminds me of Boba Fett, I mean, it's like his style and everything to me.Confused

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:50 pm Reply with quote  

What would it take to have commercial free TV?

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 34 of 42