Quote or Question for the Day
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:59 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

JainaSolo wrote:
*Where to put it...Where to put it...Wher--Ah! Here it is!*

Ok I've been thinking where to post this and this seems like the right place.
My question is linked to an English essay we have to write about the importance of language and why it's important to have different languages than to have the whole world speaking, for instance, English.
I've ran out of inspiration and it's due Monday, so I wanted to know what you think! And if you can, can you please add a source to and article or something?
I've been to the fifth page of Google and everyone is ignoring my question on yahoo answers... Sad

Source: Star Trek: The Next Generation, S2

There was that episode where a particular diplomat, who was deaf and mute, was sent to negotiate peace between two warring factions. A splinter group of one faction killed the diplomat's interpreters. All seemed lost, but the diplomat had the idea to teach both sides' envoys how to speak sign language, and so they worked together and built something together: the ability to communicate with their peacemaker.

I can't think of any specific examples, but I seem to remember hearing that similar things happened in real-life; that two peoples that spoke different languages each agreed to learn a third (as a trade language) instead of learning each others (for risk of assimilation).

A more serious Example: La Nation Québécoise

Speaking a different language than the rest of the country has helped Québec maintain its identity instead of assimilating into English Canada. It resisted assimilation throughout history, potentially because of the language difference (see "Règlement 17", which attempted to stop French from being taught in Ontario schools a century ago, and failing in that attempt).

Sorry I can't source that one, but it might guide your research if you like the example.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:35 pm Reply with quote  

I dunno if this will help Jaina but you might look into linguistic anthropology studies of language.

One of the big things with language (at least in anthropology) is the idea that language distinguishes cultural affiliation as much as a means of communication.

Perhaps best exemplifying that is that for many Native American groups that maintain their traditional culture, loosing their native language is just as devistating to them as loosing a cultural ceremony because their language is a part of their identity. I'd suggest looking at various Native American groups like the Navajo, Pueblo, Haudenosaunee (a.k.a. Iroquois), Cherokee (or any other big name Native American group you've heard about) and see what publications (if any) they have on language programs they are pursuing to teach their youth the language of their culture.

Doing a quick Google search apparently the Navajo are using Rosetta Stone to help revitalize their language: http://navajorenaissance.angelfire.com/

I also found this on a Cherokee language program: http://www.cherokeepreservationfdn.org/cultural-preservation-connect/major-programs-and-initiatives/cherokee-language-revitalization

While I'm not familiar with the goings on with European language you could also look into what Germans, French, etc. are saying about words, phrases, and slang from other cultures infiltrating the language and whether that's seen as not as a natural evolution of language but rather as a diluting of the language AND culture. Perhaps our Canadian members might know of similar language issues in Quebec.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:34 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Got my essay back Friday....
86%!
Thanks a lot guys! You don't know how how much you helped me! Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:26 pm Reply with quote  

Congrats Jaina! Glad things worked out for you with that paper!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:58 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

So...where did all the regulars go?

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:18 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I dunno. I just didn't have a quote or a question in the past few months.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:02 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I asked the same question in another post but got no response, it seems as though we are missing 2-4 people

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:53 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

I'm still here. Just haven't got very many interesting thoughts to share. Or even ludicrous ones to annoy people with.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:59 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Anyone listen to any good non-Star Wars podcasts lately?

I'm a big fan of "Science...Sort Of" (www.sciencesortof.com), where grad student scientists talk about "Things that are science, things that are sort of science, and things that wish they were science." Each episode does two science stories, they talk about the science itself, and also how it gets reported (like, how sometimes the Popular Press article about it misses the point completely). Sometimes they talk about things like Cryptozoology and Creationism (they don't begrudge people who believe in Evolution and God, but do fight hard against those that try to keep evolution from being taught in schools).

The network that does Science...Sort Of also does The Titanium Physicists, where the host (a physicist grad student) and two other physicists (usually young post-docs) talk about a specific subject with someone who is interested but not particularly knowledgeable. They also do The Weekly Weinersmith, where Zack Weinersmith, author of Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal, and his wife Kelly (a parasitologist) talk science and interview scientists.

I also like Under The Influence, a CBC Radio show about marketing and advertisement. Also: Star Talk, the official radio show of physicist and astronomer Neil DeGrasse Tyson (a huge name in science outreach and education; our generation's Carl Sagan).

But I need to expand my podcast repertoire. I just dropped a bunch of Star Wars podcasts that I found myself not listening to anymore, so my library is empty.

Recommendations?
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:35 pm Reply with quote  

Only non-star wars podcast I listen to regularly is Big Pop Fun hosted by Tom Wilson on the Nerdist network.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:26 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

I have a question, but first let me tell you a brief story in order to explain it.

Recently, I met a guy who is a nerd like me except he's into cosplay. Specifically anime cosplay. But he's ashamed to tell his friends, the people he has known for years about what he sometimes likes to do in free time. Also, photos of him in costume could cost him a promotion at work. But mostly he's worried about being thought as weird. I, on other hand, have a Star Wars iPhone case, and three Facebook albums dedicated to my geek interests. Everyone knows I love Star Wars.

Have you encountered geek discrimination? Are you afraid of telling others about your love of Star Wars?

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:35 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Wow that is pretty heavy! Personally I have never experienced any form of discrimination due to my fandom. However I can very clearly see where the concern comes from. I sometimes get the feeling from others that loving SW is "childish" so I could see fans being worried about that...... It is a real shame though! I wear my love for SW as openly as possible, I would go as far as to say I enjoy the edge liking something deemed "diffrent" puts on my personality, I wear the honestly of it as a badge of honor.

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:19 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Dancelittleewok wrote:
I have a question, but first let me tell you a brief story in order to explain it.

Recently, I met a guy who is a nerd like me except he's into cosplay. Specifically anime cosplay. But he's ashamed to tell his friends, the people he has known for years about what he sometimes likes to do in free time. Also, photos of him in costume could cost him a promotion at work. But mostly he's worried about being thought as weird. I, on other hand, have a Star Wars iPhone case, and three Facebook albums dedicated to my geek interests. Everyone knows I love Star Wars.

Have you encountered geek discrimination? Are you afraid of telling others about your love of Star Wars?

I've certainly experienced such discrimination, and can understand why he'd be worried. When I was in the geek closet, I didn't tell anyone for fear of the mockery, but when I did, I was overwhelmed by the amount of no **** being given - at least, by those who knew me. Now, with this guy, it may be that it isn't all in his head, and that he really will be stigmatised for his interests - this I have experienced in other pursuits. When I've encountered such a reaction, I quickly learned to not care. It made me happy, and that's what mattered. That may or may not be the best approach, but it's the one I took.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:16 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Okay this question came to me this morning while eating breakfast (LOL) and so I decided to ask your opinion on this.

Where does real fandom start and when can you be called a fan?

For example, say you've only watched Star Wars: A New Hope and loved it, would it be correct if you tell other people: "I'm a Star Wars fan" even though you've never even seen any other Star Wars movie except that one?
When will it be correct to call yourself a Star Wars fan (or any kind of fan in that case be it Lord of the Rings or Star Trek)? When you've watched the whole original trilogy? Every Star Wars movie? When you begin to read the expanded universe? When you start collecting action figures, comics or play the video games? When you start seeing Star Wars in your dreams or doodle them in your spare time?
I guess there is no absolute line you have to cross where you get a badge that says: "I'm a fan" I just don't think it would be correct calling yourself a fan after only watching one movie or reading one book. Confused

Ps: I only used Star Wars as an example since this is a Star Wars forum but as I said, this can be in any case from Lord of the Rings to Twilight to The Big Bang Theory! Razz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:38 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

If they really liked it, then yes they would be fans. I'd say I'm a mild Star Trek fan, but I couldn't name you any of the films other than the pre-Abrams films besides the first couple of Kirk films. (Although I think I've seen them all...)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 25 of 27