Random Movie Musings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 147, 148, 149 ... 186, 187, 188  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:28 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
JainaSolo wrote:
Saw Spaceballs...wish I hadn't. *facepalm*
Yeah there were some places where I laughed but you can only take a Star Wars parody so far before it becomes idiotic. Rolling Eyes

Do not like. Spaceballs is great, it was better than the prequels to me.

I dunno, maybe it's a generational thing. I grew up on all those cheesy 80's movies and commercials that this was satirizing.

So many great bits.

"Pizza the hut is going to take you out."

"Next our review of Rocky Five...Thousand."

"You call that a radar? No, I call it Mr. Coffee."

"Merchandising, where the real money from the movie is made. Spaceballs the breakfast cereal!"

"They've gone Plaid!"

I loved it to, but it was from growing up with Mel Brooks. That really helps make it work for me.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:33 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
JainaSolo wrote:
Yeah there were some places where I laughed but you can only take a Star Wars parody so far before it becomes idiotic. Rolling Eyes

I dunno, maybe it's a generational thing. I grew up on all those cheesy 80's movies and commercials that this was satirizing.

So many great bits.

"Merchandising, where the real money from the movie is made. Spaceballs the breakfast cereal!"

"They've gone Plaid!"

I loved it to, but it was from growing up with Mel Brooks. That really helps make it work for me.

Yeap. We old school dudes like it. Younger folks are just.......Wait what was that
about. Never mind I've just saw a dancing alien and was going for the special.

Check please!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:58 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Hogy wrote:
Caedus_16 wrote:
Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
JainaSolo wrote:

So many great bits.

"They've gone Plaid!"

Yeap. We old school dudes like it. Younger folks are just.......Wait what was that
about. Never mind I've just saw a dancing alien and was going for the special.

Check please!

I...I want to love this more, but I think I can't. I think I maxed out all the love I had when you said that. I'm such a happy person right now Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:14 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I went to see Les Miserables today and all I can say is: WOW. It was a-ma-zing! And despite all the warnings I received, and reading the plot five times, I still cried. Crying or Very sad
And there wasn't one person there who couldn't sing and Hugh Jackman's performance was wonderful. I loved every bit of it and it was a truly outstanding film! Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:51 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I watched two movies last weekend.

The first was Ocean's Eleven. After not being able to engage with Scoundrels, I wanted to give the original a try, but honestly it didn't grip me much either. I guess it wasn't Zahn's fault; I'm just not into that kind of thing. It wasn't bad and could be entertaining, but I don't see what all the fuss is about. *shrugs*

The second was Joan of Arc (the 1999 CBC miniseries). It was relatively low quality and the actress playing Joan could be a bit wooden at times (though otherwise she was close to how I imagined Joan), but because Joan of Arc is one of my favourite historical figures, I still quite enjoyed it.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:06 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

I watched The Dark Knight Rises a few nights ago. Anne Hathaway really killed it. At first I was skeptical about her, but as the movie went on, she played Cat Woman with a lot of depth that hasn't been seen in the other movies. Bane (not Darth!) was weak. He lacked the charisma to be a true menace, making it hard for me to see him as any other more than a thug. Oh, and Christian Bale's Batman voice is still adorable.

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:29 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dancelittleewok wrote:
I watched The Dark Knight Rises a few nights ago. Anne Hathaway really killed it. At first I was skeptical about her, but as the movie went on, she played Cat Woman with a lot of depth that hasn't been seen in the other movies. Bane (not Darth!) was weak. He lacked the charisma to be a true menace, making it hard for me to see him as any other more than a thug. Oh, and Christian Bale's Batman voice is still adorable.

I actually loved Hardy's portrayal of Bane. I think he did well considering he only had his eyes to express with, and the changes to his comic book character worked for a more real picture of him as a villain. I had tons of other problems with the film, but he wasn't one of them.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:17 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I saw A Good Day To Die Hard this past weekend.

There is an important distinction to make in my opinion:

1- As a movie, this failed spectacularly.
2- I had fun watching this movie.

Unfortunately, the Die Hard franchise has become a parody of what it once was. While 1988's Die Hard was a great action flick with good humor and a menacing villain (nobody ever out-did Alan Rickman), this one and the last one are basically meaningless shoot-em-ups where they need to be more and more outrageous than before.

Example: Die Hard featured Bruce Willis playing John McClane, surviving alone in a skyscraper as terrorists and criminals are holding his wife hostage. Skip forward 20 years. Live Free Or Die Hard featured Bruce Willis playing Bruce Willis, riding on the back of a jet fighter and blowing up a helicopter with a car, making quips as he goes. A Good Day To Die Hard is more of the same.

That said, these movies are amazingly fun. I laughed through much of it. Just so ridiculous. There is room for these mindless action films in cinema, but we need to treat them as such. Consider True Lies. On the one hand, a terrible film. On the other hand, you have Arnold Schwarzenegger (sp?) in a Harrier fighter yelling "Dana jump! Daddy will catch you!!!"

Good times Smile

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:32 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dancelittleewok wrote:
Anne Hathaway really killed it.

I'm still getting used to people using that expression in a positive way. I thought you meant Anne Hathaway's performance ruined TDKR.

I thought Bane and Catwoman were both great in TDKR btw.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:35 pm Reply with quote  

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
Because they already used night vision sequences for such horror films as 28 Weeks Later, Quarantine, and One Night In Paris.

haha, ok fair enough. Shows you how much of a horror movie fan I am that I didn't know that.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:56 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

JainaSolo wrote:

And there wasn't one person there who couldn't sing

Crowe and Seyfried, Jaina. Wink

I saw Oz, The Great and Powerful. Word of advice to anyone considering watching it: don't.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:51 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Ha! OZ: The Lame and Boring.

I haven't really watched any movies for a while. I was thinking about I Am Legend, which reminded me of the 70's Charlton Heston version The Omega Man. Anyone who hasn't seen that should do so, along with his Soylent Green and Sean Connery in Zardoz, or at least the first ten minutes or so which is probably on youtube. The Gun Is Good!

Oh yeah, and I watched Cheech and Chong's Up In Smoke. I felt that it was a tad ostentatious to paint marijuana leaves on the van that was itself made entirely out of pot.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:27 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Has anyone seen Olympus Has Fallen yet?

My wife and I were aiming to see it this weekend, but decided to just go home instead.

But after seeing Die Hard 5, we're both interested in seeing it because based on the premise, it might actually be a better Die Hard than Die Hard 5 was (terrorists take over <building>, lone officer of the law is trapped inside, person he cared about taken hostage, etc.).

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:28 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
Ha! OZ: The Lame and Boring.

I haven't really watched any movies for a while. I was thinking about I Am Legend, which reminded me of the 70's Charlton Heston version The Omega Man. Anyone who hasn't seen that should do so, along with his Soylent Green and Sean Connery in Zardoz, or at least the first ten minutes or so which is probably on youtube. The Gun Is Good!

Oh yeah, and I watched Cheech and Chong's Up In Smoke. I felt that it was a tad ostentatious to paint marijuana leaves on the van that was itself made entirely out of pot.

Just so you know I Am Legend and The Omega Man are based off of the same novella. And neither do it justice, though if pressed I'd have to say I enjoyed Omega Man more for the nostalgia. I can call it right now that you aren't going to like I Am Legend. I did, but I can guess you won't.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:11 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral-DLOS wrote:
Has anyone seen Olympus Has Fallen yet?

My wife and I were aiming to see it this weekend, but decided to just go home instead.

But after seeing Die Hard 5, we're both interested in seeing it because based on the premise, it might actually be a better Die Hard than Die Hard 5 was (terrorists take over <building>, lone officer of the law is trapped inside, person he cared about taken hostage, etc.).

I didn't really care for it. It was 2 hours of gunshots, explosions and knives with a cookie cutter plot strapped to it. There was literally a twenty minute scene with nothing but people shooting at each other, all with a JJ Abrams-esque shaky cam. I wouldn't recommend it if you're looking for a clever storyline or good acting.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 148 of 188