Random Movie Musings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 148, 149, 150 ... 184, 185, 186  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:41 pm Reply with quote  

There was a film version of I Am Legend that predates The Omega Man, it's called The Last Man on Earth and stars Vincent Price. I liked it, but I enjoy old movies. It's black and white. Of the three, The Omega Man is my favorite.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:36 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
There was a film version of I Am Legend that predates The Omega Man, it's called The Last Man on Earth and stars Vincent Price. I liked it, but I enjoy old movies. It's black and white. Of the three, The Omega Man is my favorite.

I loved that movie! Of course I love Matheson so any adaptation that does his work the least bit of justice does it for me, but something about Vincent Price is always so awesome. Love to hear there are other old movie fans out there, I'm just getting into movies from the early days and I'm still learning.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:40 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
I can call it right now that you aren't going to like I Am Legend. I did, but I can guess you won't.

haha. You know me.

The Last Man is the best adaptation IMO, but all fall sort of the great novel. IIRC, all the film versions have a different ending from each other and none of them follow the novel's, which kind of takes away from the whole point of the story.

Speaking of film vs. book endings , I just watched The Shawshank Redemption. I mean, I've seen it before, but I just watched it now.

If anyone hasn't seen it, I'll go ahead and use tags.

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:01 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:

Speaking of film vs. book endings , I just watched The Shawshank Redemption. I mean, I've seen it before, but I just watched it now.

If anyone hasn't seen it, I'll go ahead and use tags.

It's a beach shot. Maybe they wanted the whole crew to have a nice beach party at the end of the filming. Laughing
I don't think it was because they felt the audience wouldn't get it. I think they just wanted to make a nice fade out. Like Forrest Gump which had "the feather" intro/outro.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:36 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Was looking forward to seeing G.I Joe: Retaliation since I enjoyed Rise of Cobra, but now, after reading some early reviews and other stuff (bad of me, I know) I'm not even going to buy the future DVD!

This film seems to be more of a reboot then a true sequel, in the same way that Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengence had more of a reboot feel. In both cases, the continuity between the first film and the second is so thin that the second film is, to me, completely different from the original despite being touted as a sequel.

In the same way, the upcoming Transformers 4, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, and The Next Karate Kid are, despite continuing their movieverses)is that even a word? Laughing ), so radically different in storyline, cast, and tone that I haven't bought the latter two and never will, nor will I buy the new Transformers movies.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:40 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Went and saw Olympus Has Fallen this past weekend.

So good!

Obviously the plot was predictable and what-not, the same type of gripe one could have for any action film. But it was so fun! Gerard Butler was great.

My wife and I joked that it was a better Die Hard than either Die Hard 4 or 5.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:34 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I just read an article on the "20 worst movie lines of all time" and they dared to include the line from They Live:

"I came here to kick *** and chew bubblegum."

Which I guess might be stupid, but only since they didn't include the following sentence: "And I'm all out of bubblegum."

Which is pretty much the best movie line ever.

Something tells me that there are other great lines from that movie, hmm?
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:05 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Plus that line gets recycled constantly in hilarious ways.

From "The IT Crowd":

"I came here to drink milk and kick ***, and I just finished my milk."

-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:16 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

My friend and I became extremely bored and somehow ended up seeing The Host.

It was the most hilarious thing.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:45 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:

...oh padme...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:33 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

What was funny about The Host, other than it being a book by Stephanie Meyer? The director is the guy who did Gattaca, one of the best sci fi movies IMO, and In Time which wasn't all that bad. Kinda of a dumb idea, but decent enough execution...which is what I expected from The Host.

On a random note: for some reason I was thinking about the movie Heavy Metal. Has anyone here seen that?

I can't decide if it's crossed over from terrible to awesome. It's certainly hilariously bad. Every single thing about it seems like it was made by a 13 year old, and I truly believe that it was intended to be viewed under the influence of drugs. If you haven't had that experience, you aren't necessarily a healthy and well adjusted human, but it helps.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:39 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

The Island was a surprisingly good Michael Bay movie. Because of Evan McGregor. Nothing, not even pointless explosions, could detract from his performance. Even when the film veered into sci fi cliches, he kept the audience grounded. Plus, seeing his innocence side was rather cute.

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:22 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:

Y'know, my wife and I went to see The Host this weekend, and I really enjoyed it.

I found it to be good sci-fi, with a cool idea that was well written and well directed.

And Saoirse Ronan was really good in both of her roles.

I was half-expecting something awful that we would just laugh at the whole, but I found myself genuinely enjoying the movie.

I joked with my wife afterwards that it appears Stephenie Meyer CAN write, she just chose not to for four books.

-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:05 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Shame really lived up to its NC-17 rating. Wow.

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:46 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dancelittleewok wrote:
Shame really lived up to its NC-17 rating. Wow.

Holy hell, I'm shocked someone else is watching that. I'm head over heels for Carrie Mulligan but I barely made it through it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 149 of 186