New Dark Horse Series 'The Star Wars'
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
New Dark Horse Series 'The Star Wars'
 PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:17 am Reply with quote  

Dark Horse Comics announced yesterday at Wondercon their new Star Wars comic series. It will be called The Star Wars.

This is from the official Dark Horse press release.

Quote:
LUCASFILM AND DARK HORSE ANNOUNCE THE BIGGEST EVENT IN THE HISTORY OF STAR WARS COMICS!

George Lucas’s original-draft screenplay for The Star Wars to be adapted by J. W. Rinzler and Mike Mayhew!

APRIL 1, MILWAUKIE, OR–It’s no April Fools’ prank! Dark Horse is honored to announce a dream project: working with J.W. Rinzler, executive editor at LucasBooks, and artist Mike Mayhew (Avengers) to adapt the rough-draft original screenplay which spawned the biggest franchise in film history!

Three years before his 1977 film, George Lucas put down on paper his first story set in a galaxy far, far away—a tale of fantastic adventures, daring escapes, “lazer swords,” romance, and monsters. A story of Jedi Annikin Starkiller and General Luke Skywalker, an alien named Han Solo, and evil Sith Knights. The screenplay was titled The Star Wars!

“I’m not sure where I first read about The Star Wars—it was years and years ago—but the idea of Luke Skywalker being an older Jedi General, and Han Solo being a six-foot-tall lizard, turned my Star Wars fan brain on its side,” said longtime Star Wars editor Randy Stradley. “I always assumed this would be one of those stories that would be ‘lost to history,’ so getting to work on bringing it to life is kinda like a dream come true.”

“While researching in the Lucasfilm Archives I’ve found many treasures—but one which truly astounded me was George’s rough draft for The Star Wars. His first complete imaginings were hallucinating to read—mind blowing,” said writer J.W. Rinzler. “While working with George on another book project, I once asked if we could adapt his rough draft. He was hesitant. Years later, with Dark Horse’s invaluable help, we showed him a few drawn and colored pages of what it might look like. He gave us the okay.”

Originally conceived in 1974, The Star Wars has been the subject of rumor and legend in the fan community throughout the history of the galaxy far, far away. Now, Lucas has seen fit to grant Dark Horse the right to adapt this fabled story into an eight-issue comic series launching in September!

Interior art:

Bleeding Cool also has some blurry pictures of the slides revealed at Wondercon: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/03/31/dark-horse-to-adapt-george-lucas-original-concept-the-star-wars-into-comics-wondercon/

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:16 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I think this is a really neat idea. I'm intrigued by it, I hope the story is as good as the art. I love the McQuarrie artwork.
www.FanboysTalking.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:23 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

i think this is ridiculously cool!!

Looking forward to reading it.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:58 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Odd timing aside, I think this is a really intriguing idea. Not particularly interested in comics, myself, but I would quite like to read this.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:50 am Reply with quote  

I like the fact that J.W. Rinzler is doing it. With all the behind the scenes digging into the movies he's done, you know he's a hardcore Star Wars fan. With this being he's first foray into telling a story, I think we can expect him to pour in a lot of effort and passion into the project. Plus the artwork looks really good.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:26 am Reply with quote  

Randy Stradley mentioned on the April episode of Jedi Journals that they actually have a design team coming up with the costumes of the characters and that George Lucas is giving approval on the designs.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:38 pm Reply with quote  

Entertainment Weekly interview Randy Stradley and Mike Richardson on 'The Star Wars' and included some new concept art.

Link: http://popwatch.ew.com/2013/04/08/star-wars-comic-dark-horse/

One thing I found interesting was something Mike Richardson said about the Star Wars model of continuity...

Quote:
We’ve tried to talk other franchise owners that we’ve worked with into following their model, because what happens, particularly in film, is often you bring in a talented writer, director and they have their own ideas. When they destroy the continuity of an existing franchise, it often destroys the credibility of the franchise.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:30 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I'll second and third that quote! As for the new line, looks neat not the best thing in the world but SW fans are a hungry bunch, old, new, or variant stories I guess we'll take them all. Just let it die when the arc is over please, I don't want years filled of what if's, I would much rather have a different spot in the timeline explored through a comic series, ala Invasion or something similar.

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:26 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Thinking about new fans, I worry that, just by the title alone, they're gonna get this confused with Brian Wood's Star Wars if they search for it in a database. Can't we be more inventive with titles?

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:21 pm Reply with quote  

Update on that EW interview, Randy Stradley has said that he and Mike were misquoted and that in general, the interview was done very sloppily. Randy even said he would never do another live interview again because of how bad this one turned out.

I know I detected quite a slant to the interview when I read it, but I didn't realize it was that badly bungled. Definitely something to keep in mind when reading it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:23 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Update on that EW interview, Randy Stradley has said that he and Mike were misquoted and that in general, the interview was done very sloppily. Randy even said he would never do another live interview again because of how bad this one turned out.

I know I detected quite a slant to the interview when I read it, but I didn't realize it was that badly bungled. Definitely something to keep in mind when reading it.

As someone with a long background in journalism, this is exactly what someone says when they were interviewed and stuck their foot in their mouth. I find it INCREDIBLY unlikely that a journalist, at EW no less, would mess up an interview that bad. But when people are interviewed and say stuff they're not supposed to say and it gets published, they will blame the journalist 100% of the time.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:57 am Reply with quote  

I'm kind of surprised that you would call Randy Stradley a liar. I'd certainly take Randy's word over some unknown journalist who works for Entertainment Weekly.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:21 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
I'm kind of surprised that you would call Randy Stradley a liar. I'd certainly take Randy's word over some unknown journalist who works for Entertainment Weekly.

Well, I guess that's the difference between being a journalist and a consumer. I'm shocked that people read Randy's response and just instantly assume he's right and EW is in the wrong. Until Randy actually says exactly what he said, no - I don't believe him. He just goes all vague and says things were misquoted, misattributed, and just generally a mess. But what was right and what wasn't? He isn't saying. And that is rather telling.

Also, I'm not calling Randy a liar. I never called him a liar. But I think there's a lot to this story that hasn't been conveyed by either party.

Also, Geoff Boucher is hardly an unknown journalist. http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2012/09/geoff_boucher_joins_enter.php

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:42 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I wonder if the Richardson continuity quote (if it's not a misquote!) is an oblique reference toward Alien 3 pooping all over Dark Horse's Aliens continuity. And then they retconned Hicks to Wilks and Newt to Billie and salvaged the situation, and Alien Resurrection pooped all over it again with a single line of unnecessary dialogue.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:28 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

VileZero wrote:
Darth Skuldren wrote:

Well, I guess that's the difference between being a journalist and a consumer. I'm shocked that people read Randy's response and just instantly assume he's right and EW is in the wrong. Until Randy actually says exactly what he said, no - I don't believe him. He just goes all vague and says things were misquoted, misattributed, and just generally a mess. But what was right and what wasn't? He isn't saying. And that is rather telling.

Also, I'm not calling Randy a liar. I never called him a liar. But I think there's a lot to this story that hasn't been conveyed by either party.

Also, Geoff Boucher is hardly an unknown journalist. http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2012/09/geoff_boucher_joins_enter.php

Remember too though that we're more likely to trust the person we know. Randy has never really steered us wrong. And ever since the StarWars.com forums died, he's been consistently engaging the fans more than anyone else.

This other guy is a journalist that many/most of us have never heard of.

I'd trust the word of Stradley over this other guy, if if just came down "His Word Against The Other Guy's".

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 3