Gripe of the Day
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 187, 188, 189 ... 195, 196, 197  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:37 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Taral-DLOS wrote:
Luke92 wrote:
Yet another of my favourite childhood bands has split up Sad

When childhood bands break up though, it usually means that, 10-20 years down the line, you'll get a cool reunion album and tour. My childhood bands (Backstreet Boys, Spice Girls) did that.

Alternatively, some members will go on to have amazing solo careers (e.g. N*SYNC broke up; Justin Timberlake alone is more popular than the whole group ever was).

I went to one of those reunions last week, 10th anniversary of their biggest selling album, band called Finch Sad
F*** these chains
No damn slave
I will be different!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:43 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Wichita State lost. I'm quite sad right now.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:51 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Caedus_16 wrote:

Me too! I was hoping we'd make it all the way, but on the bright side, we had two Kansas teams in the Championship. That kind of publicity will only help our teams generate more money and more prestige, so we can have another shot at it another year.

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:15 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dancelittleewok wrote:
Caedus_16 wrote:

Me too! I was hoping we'd make it all the way, but on the bright side, we had two Kansas teams in the Championship. That kind of publicity will only help our teams generate more money and more prestige, so we can have another shot at it another year.

I live in Wichita and to be honest I was sort of (you know...deep down) wishing for a KU vs WSU championship. It would have turned into the 3rd act of The Dark Knight Rises out here, people would have torn our downtown apart. Was so looking forward to it ending with a WSU victory, but Final Four is great for us (we haven't been since the 60's).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:11 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Caedus_16 wrote:
Dancelittleewok wrote:
Caedus_16 wrote:

I live in Wichita and to be honest I was sort of (you know...deep down) wishing for a KU vs WSU championship. It would have turned into the 3rd act of The Dark Knight Rises out here, people would have torn our downtown apart. Was so looking forward to it ending with a WSU victory, but Final Four is great for us (we haven't been since the 60's).

I had the exact scenario in my head except with the Jayhawks! haha

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:29 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Caedus_16 wrote:
Dancelittleewok wrote:
Caedus_16 wrote:

You're sure you guys aren't Canadian? Because that how hockey is treated up here. For many teams, a severe loss can involve a downtown riot. Or even sometimes a win.

Also: @Dance, it's funny you mention money and prestige, because I learned the other day that the single most profitable hockey team in the NHL hasn't made the playoffs in over a decade and hasn't won the cup in almost 50 years. But they're the only billion-dollar-earning team in the league. Goes to show you: money doesn't always come with winning Smile

(PS: You guys are talking about college basketball, right? Or am I completely off the mark?)
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:54 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral-DLOS wrote:
Caedus_16 wrote:
Dancelittleewok wrote:
Caedus_16 wrote:

You're sure you guys aren't Canadian? Because that how hockey is treated up here. For many teams, a severe loss can involve a downtown riot. Or even sometimes a win.

Also: @Dance, it's funny you mention money and prestige, because I learned the other day that the single most profitable hockey team in the NHL hasn't made the playoffs in over a decade and hasn't won the cup in almost 50 years. But they're the only billion-dollar-earning team in the league. Goes to show you: money doesn't always come with winning Smile

(PS: You guys are talking about college basketball, right? Or am I completely off the mark?)

Indeed, you hit the mark!

And Nah, I'm not Canadian, just passionate lol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:59 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Taral-DLOS wrote:

I lived in Canada til I was 10, so I know exactly what you're talking about with the riots.

Quote:

What team is that?

Quote:

DING DING DING

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:59 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Dancelittleewok wrote:

Quote:

What team is that?

Toronto Maple Leafs. The team does not do well, but their fans are certainly passionate.

A guy who does marketing analyses for the CBC did a show about billion dollar brands, and showed that the Leafs were the most profitable NHL team right now, despite its history.

I remember a sketch comedy guy doing a skit once that advertised a local cable TV company's "Two-Two-Zip Plan", where for a fee, all Leafs games would start airing at the start of second period with a score of 2-nil against. I had a laugh.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:24 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm going to kill that little rat of a sister! For three days straight she's been using all the warm water, forcing me to shower in temperatures lower than the planet of Hoth! Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:14 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Surely water would freeze at those temperatures. Wink

http://soundcloud.com/city-approach

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:53 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Proudfoot wrote:

Perhaps her shower snows?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:13 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Jedi Joe wrote:
Proudfoot wrote:

I'm thinking that her house might produce a compound for its water supply that prevents freezing, like how antarctic fish produce antifreeze proteins to keep their blood liquid (while the high-saline water outside their body is below 0 C.)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:28 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral-DLOS wrote:
Jedi Joe wrote:
Proudfoot wrote:

I'm thinking that her house might produce a compound for its water supply that prevents freezing, like how antarctic fish produce antifreeze proteins to keep their blood liquid (while the high-saline water outside their body is below 0 C.)

Possible... I didn't think of that but it is a compelling hypothesis.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:09 pm Reply with quote  

So my graduate school manual says that PhD students can maintain full time status if they are course complete or ABD (all but dissertation). The manual was updated last December. My advisor says that the manual is wrong and that for whatever reason the Graduate School doesn't update the manual even though they know it to be wrong.

My advisor is the alpha male type so to go over his head and clarify this with the graduate school will likely just make him angry and hostile towards me for breaking the "chain of command" so it's pretty much a dead end. Which sucks majorly because I'm course complete so the only reason for me to register for a full course load is keep my student loans in deferral. Having a full course load also means I have less time to prepare for my doctoral exams during the fall semester.

But overall it really miffs me that, even though the graduate school manual says I don't need to register for a full course load, my advisor maintains that the guide is wrong leaving me in the position of either having to potentially do more work than I actually need (and pay for more credits than I need) or challenge him and commit academic suicide.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 188 of 197