New Dark Horse Series 'The Star Wars'
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:19 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral-DLOS wrote:
VileZero wrote:
Darth Skuldren wrote:
I'm kind of surprised that you would call Randy Stradley a liar. I'd certainly take Randy's word over some unknown journalist who works for Entertainment Weekly.

Well, I guess that's the difference between being a journalist and a consumer. I'm shocked that people read Randy's response and just instantly assume he's right and EW is in the wrong. Until Randy actually says exactly what he said, no - I don't believe him. He just goes all vague and says things were misquoted, misattributed, and just generally a mess. But what was right and what wasn't? He isn't saying. And that is rather telling.

Also, I'm not calling Randy a liar. I never called him a liar. But I think there's a lot to this story that hasn't been conveyed by either party.

Also, Geoff Boucher is hardly an unknown journalist. http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2012/09/geoff_boucher_joins_enter.php

Remember too though that we're more likely to trust the person we know. Randy has never really steered us wrong. And ever since the StarWars.com forums died, he's been consistently engaging the fans more than anyone else.

This other guy is a journalist that many/most of us have never heard of.

I'd trust the word of Stradley over this other guy, if if just came down "His Word Against The Other Guy's".

But Randy has an agenda. He's the editor of Dark Horse. His ultimate job is to get us to buy his product. He might be personable and friendly and engage with fans, but at the end of the day, it's so we buy his company's comics. The quotes in the article, with the tone that this is the end for Dark Horse, goes directly against his mission. Randy's successful at what he does precisely because how he interacts with fans creates this sort of blind allegiance. Remember, Lucasfilm flat-out denied reports that Ewan McGregor was playing Obi-Wan Kenobi in Episode I... right up until they announced it themselves. When a person or company has a product at stake, it's best to take what they say with a little skepticism.

Boucher, on the other hand, doesn't have an agenda outside of "Check out this new SW comic, and here's what the creative minds in Dark Horse are saying about that, and other big things affecting them."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:15 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

And journalists never have an agenda. Like selling more copy.

Besides, equating an entertainment reporter with serious journalism is like calling Guliana Rancic a major news anchor.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:28 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Cerrinea wrote:

Yes, the journalist's agenda was to sell more copy... in his ONLINE ONLY, free-to-view article.

Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:56 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

VileZero wrote:
Cerrinea wrote:

Yes, the journalist's agenda was to sell more copy... in his ONLINE ONLY, free-to-view article.

Rolling Eyes

I was making a general statement, but whatever. Change "copy" to "views" or "hits" and it's the same thing. Number of view/hits determines the advertising revenue. The advertising revenue keeps the online site going and the writer's wages incoming. Profit motive is just as much a reality in journalism as it is in any other business.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:27 am Reply with quote  

Randy Stradley:
Quote:
You're right, gf2020, you don't know anything about the accuracy of Geoff's quotes or sources.

Fortunately, I know more about it. I am in possession of two email messages from Geoff in which he apologizes for the inaccuracies, and tries to explain the source of the problems. You'll have to take my word for this, since the emails were private correspondence, and not for publication. It is telling, however, that after receiving complaints for inaccuracies, he went back and changed a number of things in the interview, including the headline (though not, I just noticed, the page's meta-tag, which still references the "swan song").

Anyway, this comes under the heading of too little, too late for me, since I was also privy to the string of false assurances and empty promises leading up to the eventual, much delayed, release of the interview.

Understand, I'm just speaking for myself here, not for Dark Horse.

Link: http://boards.darkhorse.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19964&p=264800#p264800

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:28 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I've been looking for a firm release date on this, and I haven't found one. Do we know if there is a date yet? Or is it still "Fall 2013"?
www.FanboysTalking.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:58 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Murray1134 wrote:
I've been looking for a firm release date on this, and I haven't found one. Do we know if there is a date yet? Or is it still "Fall 2013"?

Someone on the Dark Horse forums said September. But it wasn't a VIP so I'm not sure.

DC's solicitations for September just came out, so we can expect Dark Horse's to be out soon (probably within the week).

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:18 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^^Confirmed, it's in the solicitations for September 2013. Part 1 of 8.

-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:50 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Thanks.

I should probably have known that already Laughing
www.FanboysTalking.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:57 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

The first issue is out now.

I enjoyed it, what did everyone else think of it?
www.FanboysTalking.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:31 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Sadly, I can't get into this right now. Although I think it might be worth waiting for the TPB.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:04 pm Reply with quote  

I was really surprised by how much I liked issue #1. With all the interviews I've read about it and the preview art I've seen, I was afraid I might have spoiled it, but thankfully it didn't. Both the artwork and the story is really good. Some of the close up shots in the panels are extremely realistic. Definitely worth picking up.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:42 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I was worried I wouldn't like it (IGN gave it a 5.5/10, so I feared it was bad). But I thought it was a good intro. The problem is I went in thinking things would be familiar, but you really need to assume you know absolutely nothing about the story.

But I had fun, and I'm looking forward to them building more story.

-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:05 am Reply with quote  

And think, we haven't even seen the green alien Han Solo yet Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:54 am Reply with quote  

The Star Wars is getting a Zero Issue!

The Star Wars #0

A companion to the eight-issue adaptation of The Star Wars, this is an exclusive peek behind the scenes at the designs that have brought a new—yet incredibly familiar—galaxy to life.

Included in this volume are the never-before-seen comics sequences that were used in Dark Horse’s pitch to George Lucas!

* Previously unpublished designs and comics pages!

* Companion to the official eight-issue adaptation of George Lucas’s original rough-draft screenplay for Star Wars!

Writers: Jonathan Rinzler and Randy Stradley
Artists: Mike Mayhew, Sean Cooke, Kilian Plunkett, Stéphane Roux and Scott Kolins
Cover Artist: Nick Runge
Publication Date: January 1, 2014
Format: FC, 32 pages; One-shot
Price: $3.99

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 2 of 3