The Politics Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 38, 39, 40  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:36 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Cerrinea wrote:
Romney, on the other hand...yeah, binders.

Lol, and what about binders? No honestly, tell me what was wrong with that comment? He meant binders full of women's "resumes." He accidentally missed a single word, but everyone knew what he meant. Do you really consider this a serious issue?

I liken this to the uproar over Obama's "not optimal" comment. I mean, does anyone really think he meant to be callous towards the Americans that died in Libya? I just find it so depressing that we focus on rare instances of poor word choice and not the point we all know they are making.

-

Last edited by Autobon on Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:45 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

You know, I find it rather insulting that he "missed" a single word. And yes I get to decide what I find insulting. No one else gets to decide that for me.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:54 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Cerrinea wrote:
You know, I find it rather insulting that he "missed" a single word. And yes I get to decide what I find insulting. No one else gets to decide that for me.

In that case, since Biden slipped up Thursday and asked if anyone knew someone serving in "Iraq or 'Iran,'" I am just going to treat it as a huge issue instead of the mistake we all know it was. After-all, I get to decide that for myself. Biden is clearly looking for war with Iran! Rolling Eyes

More quotes that I can be unrealistic about -

"Folks, I can tell you I've known eight presidents, three of them intimately." --Joe Biden - that is SICK Mr. Vice President

"Stand up, Chuck, let 'em see ya." –-Joe Biden, to Missouri state Sen. Chuck Graham, who is in a wheelchair - See? He thinks its funny to hate the disabled!

-

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:38 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Autobon wrote:
Cerrinea wrote:

In that case, since Biden slipped up Thursday and asked if anyone knew someone serving in "Iraq or 'Iran,'" I am just going to treat it as a huge issue instead of the mistake we all know it was. After-all, I get to decide that for myself. Biden is clearly looking for war with Iran! Rolling Eyes

More quotes that I can be unrealistic about -

"Folks, I can tell you I've known eight presidents, three of them intimately." --Joe Biden - that is SICK Mr. Vice President

"Stand up, Chuck, let 'em see ya." –-Joe Biden, to Missouri state Sen. Chuck Graham, who is in a wheelchair - See? He thinks its funny to hate the disabled!

-

Why stop at just dumb things Biden has said? Obama has MORE than his share of stupid gaffes (http://politicalhumor.about.com/od/barackobama/a/obama-isms.htm)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:57 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Quote:

Obviously you need a definition of intimate.

in·ti·mate/ˈintəmit/
Adjective: Closely acquainted; familiar, close.
Noun: A very close friend.
Verb:Imply or hint.

Synonyms:
adjective. close - familiar - near - inner - private
noun. familiar - crony - confidant - close friend
verb. hint - indicate - suggest - imply - insinuate - notify

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:06 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Do we need definitions of sarcasm too? Seriously people. Everyone chill out. The tone is getting too aggressive.

(And please, nobody try to say I can't tell you folks what to calm down about - this is EUCantina and it still belongs to the administration and the moderation before the members. If I invite you into my house and ask you to take off your shoes, it doesn't matter if you don't think your shoes are dirty. You follow my rules in my house. If something seriously offends you, take it to moderation privately and we'll deal with the offense behind closed doors.)

Last edited by Old Master Ben on Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:56 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Wait? People are actually seriously offended by the "binders full of women" comment?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:24 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The Republicans built an entire night of their convention around Obama's grammatical error with "You didn't build that". If the Democrats want to use the "binders full of women" comment, the Republicans can't really complain.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:57 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

GrandMaster wrote:
The Republicans built an entire night of their convention around Obama's grammatical error with "You didn't build that".

That was not a "grammatical error." In fact, let me quote a more full version -

Obama wrote:
If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you've got a business—you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen.

Obama's point is to cheapen the worth or idea of a strong and independent entrepreneur. He is a big government ideologue, and his speech reflects that. Now of course you can argue whether or not what he said is correct, that's totally fair, but it was not a slip of the tongue by any means. His point is logical and coherent.

Romney's "binder" comment however, was a complete mistake. Do you really think Romney had "binders full of women" delivered to his office? That does not even make sense. In the context of the full quote, it was more then obvious that he was referring to binders full of womens' resumes. That is why I specifically quoted a couple of Biden's absurd gaffes - because they were clearly just simple mistakes, as was Romney's.

Apples and oranges...

-

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:24 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

If you're not being sarcastic here, then you just proved the point I made earlier about how you will defend the Republican candidate while condemning the Democratic president over the same situation.

IMO Romney's "binders" comment wasn't a mistake. It's indicative of a mentality that's unenlightened and dismissive of women.

MOD EDIT: Added "IMO" since this sentence is an opinion, even though expressed as a fact. Be it Romney human error or a dismissive mentality towards women peaking through to the surface, it is near impossible to prove he did it deliberately.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:00 am Reply with quote  

So an interesting article on elections in general:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dan-glickman/no-way-to-elect-a-preside_b_2005456.html?utm_hp_ref=elections-2012

Specifcally it is about the Electoral College and how it seems to unfairly impact elections by creating a few battleground states where the rest of the states are just a given that they are going to vote Republican or Democrat. One of the most interesting issues I thought raised though was how that effectively makes voting for a third party pointless because they will invariably never get an Electoral College vote with the current system of "winner takes all."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:42 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Salaris Vorn wrote:
So an interesting article on elections in general:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dan-glickman/no-way-to-elect-a-preside_b_2005456.html?utm_hp_ref=elections-2012

Specifcally it is about the Electoral College and how it seems to unfairly impact elections by creating a few battleground states where the rest of the states are just a given that they are going to vote Republican or Democrat. One of the most interesting issues I thought raised though was how that effectively makes voting for a third party pointless because they will invariably never get an Electoral College vote with the current system of "winner takes all."

I never realized that the state's electoral college was an all-or-nothing type of thing. (Never paid that much attention to the mechanics of your guy's elections).

I'm surprised that its been allowed to stand like that for so long. Its really not a good representation of the population. Breaking it down so that each college member represented an electoral district within each state (as suggested in the article) would be a much more accurate representation.

Given that the US is essentially a 2-party system, it would make for a pretty close approximation of the vote.

It's worth noting that Canada's 3-party (and 4-party in Quebec) system shows that even that system can break down. With a 3-way vote split in each district, its extremely rare that the party who wins the district actually has the majority of the vote.

That said, a proportional representation system (see Sweden) also breaks down very quickly because it is impossible for a single party to take power as so many smaller parties will be elected in small numbers, leading to multi-party governing coalitions that are extremely fragile and prone to fracturing.

There's really no good system.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:34 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Some idiot commentors on MSNBC have been trying to twist discussions on the Boston Marathon icident into a political fight, blaming either Democrats or Republicans. Makes me sick.

At least 2 are dead, dozens more injured, and these boneheads want to spark a political catfight on the Internet? That's just wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:16 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Alan Skywalker V wrote:
Some idiot commentors on MSNBC have been trying to twist discussions on the Boston Marathon icident into a political fight, blaming either Democrats or Republicans. Makes me sick.

At least 2 are dead, dozens more injured, and these boneheads want to spark a political catfight on the Internet? That's just wrong.

Wolf Blitzer of CNN also said something about connections to the Tea Party. As terrible as it is, it doesn't surprise me in the least. The blame game brings ratings. Television news is an absolute joke nowadays.

My condolences are with those affected by the Boston bombing..

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:22 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Well Fox News did the same thing in the other direction. We need more guns! Because guns are so effective against bombs.

I also saw discussion that it's Obama's fault because he's a terrorist.

The speculation about it being a right wing thing is due to the nature of the bombs, the fact that it's Patriot's Day in Boston and that the JFK Library was also targeted. It's not a stretch to speculation that. And it is just speculation at this point, but you can be sure that the FBI and the CIA are going to be all over this.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove

Page 39 of 40