The Politics Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:15 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Cerrinea wrote:
Well Fox News did the same thing in the other direction. We need more guns! Because guns are so effective against bombs.

I also saw discussion that it's Obama's fault because he's a terrorist.

The speculation about it being a right wing thing is due to the nature of the bombs, the fact that it's Patriot's Day in Boston and that the JFK Library was also targeted. It's not a stretch to speculation that. And it is just speculation at this point, but you can be sure that the FBI and the CIA are going to be all over this.

Two wrongs don't make a right. The "They did it too!" argument is what's expected from schoolchildren, not pseudo-journalists. (EDIT: Just to clarify, that wasn't directed at you. That's directed at Blitzer and the folks at NBC/FOX)

Nobody can wait until facts come out though, because that won't generate ratings. It's absolutely pitiful what television news has become.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:03 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I found it interesting that it was newsworthy whether or not Obama used the word "terror" or "terrorism" in his two addresses yesterday and today.

Also, I recommend BBC if you dislike CNN, MSNBC, and Fox. CNN.com has seemed more sensationalist as of late and the comments on articles are abysmal.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:13 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'd have to agree about BBC. They are much more like the news broadcasting when I grew up -- the old Cronkite and Huntley-Brinkley Report where they reported the facts of the news and didn't resort to speculation or opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:19 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

CNN anywhere else in the world is actually pretty good. North American CNN (like most/all North American news broadcasting) is heavily politicized. But the CNN broadcasting in Europe and Asia (I believe it's called CNN International) isn't marketed to the voter, so it ends up being really neutral.

I have annual work trips to Paris and Geneva, and work occasionally takes me to China, and I always watch CNN International when I'm there.

I remember one instance immediately after the shooting in the movie theatre last summer. Becky Anderson (the British anchorwoman) was interviewing an American about the possibility of gun control (keeping it all theoretical). The guy being interviewed kept trying to pull the conversation away from gun control and into movie censorship and kids being exposed to violence on TV and video games and the like. She kept bringing it back to the subject at hand. It was brilliant.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:11 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

In the 90s the left tried to fight for censorship of violent media for children (MORTAL KOMBAT!), and now it seems that the right has deemed to politically expedient to take up the cause against the 1st amendment as well to divert any attack on the 2nd amendment.

I dunno, politics have reached critical mass of frustration for me. Ideology trumps reality. I suspect the Internet is at least partially responsible for the polarized state of the American political situation because it allows individuals to bypass mainstream news entirely and exclusively get their news from sources so heavily slanted that they make Fox News and MSNBC look dead center.

The election supposedly demonstrated it even in the mainstream in that the GOP was certain that Romney would win because they closed themselves off from anything that disagreed with the notion; it's my understanding that because Fox News was reporting it as neck and neck, the other news organizations felt compelled to report the same thing lest they be accused of being in the tank for Obama. But in reality, and I guess some analysts reported it beforehand, Obama was pretty clearly going to win based on the data.

And I'm not meaning to attack the right exclusively, it's just the most visible example. I think people have a tendency to shut out contradicting viewpoints on the Internet in general, whether it be political or even something like how prequel haters think that the majority share the opinion that the prequels are hated. It's confirmation bias amplified by the Internet.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:34 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

What a mess. The recently passed budget in my state has touched off a storm of protest among teachers just as the new school year is about to begin.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:44 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Is North Carolina going too far with the new voter ID laws?

Most of the provisions don't concern me as I've been eligible to vote since the 2008 elections and showing ID doesn't really bother me, but cutting the early voting period from 17 to 10 days is a concern; all three of us (my parents and I) have always voted early to avoid the lines on Election Day. It could make it difficult to decide when to early vote in 2016.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:24 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

May be a good thing I haven't been successful in my job hunt, or I might be out of work right now anyway.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove

Page 40 of 40