Fandom Apocalypse?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:36 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Quote:
P.S. Who is Alpha?

I think IR2 was referring to the ARC Trooper Alpha from The early Clone Wars comics. He was introduced in Republic 50, and then trveled with Anakin and Obi-Wan til Jabiim, where Obi and Alpha were captured and tortured by Asajj. When they were making the new TCW cartoon, they decided that Anakin, Ahsoka, Artoo, and Alpha were too many "A" names, so they renamed him Rex.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Alpha-17

Edit: After reading through the article myself, it seems he was training the famous Commanders from Episode 3 in the time during TCW cartoon, and then came back in Obsession at the end of the war. As long as Obsession doesn't become an Infinities, then we'll just assume he died around the time of Obsession.
"Alpha was critically wounded by General Grievous himself, so much so that it was thought he'd never walk again. As hostilities wound down, Alpha, along with the supposed corpse of Asajj Ventress, was loaded onto a medical transport and sent back to Coruscant for treatment. En route, however, Ventress proved very much alive when she took control of the transport and ordered its pilots to take her into the unknown." - wookieepedia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:49 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

SidiousThrawn wrote:
Alpha Squadron from the Republic/Imperial Commando series. When Traviss left, the audiance was left hanging what happened to Alpha.

I've been reading the comments from some of the folks on rebel scum, to them, the continuity is what they amke it to be not what LFL, Filoni or anyone else tells them it is.

Which for beloved characters like Chewie, Mara and others make since. I still can't believe they killed off Ackbar.

Delta Squad and Sev your thinking of there.

Alpha was the clone in the Republic Clone Wars series. He was the Rex/ Cody for Anakin and Obi-wan.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:54 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

DannikJerriko wrote:

I've said this elsewhere, and I'll say it again; the best thing to come out of Star Wars was the communities, even one big community, and that's my favourite thing. Plus I really like EUC and the people here, and once the Clone Wars Omni's come out, I'll be a lot more into the SWEU content. Then onto Legacy, KoTOR. This is a dip in interest for content, but the feeling of community is as strong as ever Smile

My primary gripe has been with the community lately. Fan site alliances are constantly shifting. Some fans tell other fans what to like, what to think, etc. It seems there's always a new grievance whenever a book comes out. I do empathize with these fans, though. In many debates, I do see the merits in each side. But after awhile, it gets tiring. Can't we all just get along? We all love Star Wars. Isn't that what REALLY matters?

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

Re: Fandom Apocalypse?
 PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:29 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Reepicheep wrote:
My Star Wars fandom is at an all-time low right now. It's not that I don't enjoy Star Wars (I still love the OT and many, many EU works), but I find myself very unexcited about future releases. My fandom has been on a low swing for a little while now, but I think it was Apocalypse that really pushed me into low gear. It wasn't so much the book itself, but it really put the current state of Star Wars in perspective for me.

I've always defended Star Wars from people who called it a "cash cow", but I'm beginning to really see their point of view. At least on Lucas's part. The continuity is a mess, and it will forseeably get worse in the future. Lucas just doesn't care about continuity. And the "It's his universe argument" doesn't work, because he doesn't even seem to care about continuity within his own universe, much less the EU.Whether it be small things like giving a small ship a cloaking device (and even waving off the objection from Filoni) or it's huge things like Mortis, it seems clear he just doesn't care. I think Mortis is the worst thing to ever happen to Star Wars (yes, worse than Jar Jar). It's just that bad. I can't reconcile everything I know about Star Wars with Mortis. Star Wars is now working against itself.

Also, the two most hotly anticipated books this year were disappointments to me. I know that more obscure books are often much better, but is this what I really want? Scrounging the good little stories and ignoring the mess that the larger story is?

I don't want to be a downer, but I want to be honest. It's very possible there's a peak on the other side of this valley, who knows? I'll keep reading the books (if, for no other reason than that I can keep visiting this site and have things to talk about), and we'll see what happens, but I'm just not feeling it right now.

I feel the same way. In fact I just started a thread where I am reaching out to you guys and girls for help because for me I have come to the end of the road with SW. It was a sad day when I realised this.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:21 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

I don't have an apocalypse, just a tiny fire I need someone to douse water on. Hearing fans complain about other fans is draining. We're all adults here. I think that should be enough for us to solve our problems within the fandom without villainizing others who simply disagree with us.

To people who posted here before, has your opinion changed at all?

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

Last edited by Dancelittleewok on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:02 am Reply with quote  

My only gripes with Star Wars right now is that they canceled TCW and shelved Detours. Otherwise, I'm happy with the books and comics.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:52 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I've honestly just resigned myself to the fact that since things are getting cancelled I'll probably just see my EU that I'm invested in go away and I'll just see how the new continuity (if there is one) goes.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:47 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Honestly, I don't have that much interest in Star Wars right now. The recent books haven't interested me (there were a few releases I had been looking forward to, but it's hard to be into the EU right now, knowing that it will likely be tossed pretty soon) and the canon wars/politics have turned me off. We'll see what happens with the new movies.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:36 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I will always love Star Wars.

In many ways, my interest in the product has never been higher. I'm all caught up on the books, and eagerly looking forward to the next release. This summer, Legacy and KOTOR will start being collected in Omnibus format, and I can finally enjoy two of the most critically acclaimed Star Wars comics that I've never read and know virtually nothing about. When it comes to EU consumption, life is awesome.

That said, I no longer feel as though I have anyone to share my love of this stuff with. My sense of community with the Star Wars fandom no longer exists.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:26 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Yeah, I'm getting tired of all the bashing, too. It's really gotten ugly. Someone jumped on me on the TF.N boards, accusing me of being apathetic about the state of the EU and continuity. Maybe I did come across that way a little bit.

Here's my post from the TFN Television thread:

All of you that are saying Disney is destroying SW, the ST will suck, ect. need to CHILL OUT. It's only been 5 months since the announcement of the buyout and you're already bashing Disney for the cancellations and dumping on the ST when we don't even know anything about it? Geez! I agree that the constant news of cancellations are becoming tiresome, but Disney has their reasons. Personally I've never cared much for video games and wasn't too interested in Detours.

As for the biggest can of worms, TCW, really, how much longer could it have gone on without running into problems with LOE/ROTS? I freely admit that I was one of the TCW skeptics, especially regarding Maul's return after TPM. To date I haven't watched much of the show, but my perspective is changing. I'm going to watch TCW this summer while on school vacation and see how I like it. Also, if they get the CW timeline worked out to incorporate old and new stuff with minimal fuss, that's a good thing.

Regarding the ST, I'm taking a wait and see approach to see what they do with it and how it effects the post ROTJ EU instead of blindly following only one or the other. If the ST works around the EU with minimal continuity clashes and almost everything is kept, great. If some EU works are tossed out while others are kept, I'm keeping the non canon works AND buying the ST anyway. If the entire EU is wiped out, same thing.

My point is, quit making a mountain out of a molehill and don't judge so rashly; no one knows precisly what Disney has planned for the future.

The reply I got:

@Skywalker8921 I think your comment is a little bit presumptuous. Given that Disney are currently cancelling everything, this is the sort of reaction to be expected. Would you rather people didn't care? I recommend waiting to see what Disney has in store for us, but I'm not surprised by the reaction.

Secondly, just because you didn't like 1313 or Detours doesn't mean others didn't, and to have 3 or 4 projects cancelled is worse than 1 or 2. Personally, I didn't care for Detours, but I know others were looking forward to it, and you can't expect people to be apathetic just because you are.

The third paragraph is apathy at it's finest - you're basically saying however it goes down, you don't care, you'll keep buying new stuff. I'm undecided as to my reaction to the ST vs. EU outcome, but I know I won't be reacting the same to each potential outcome.

I agree with you, I'm waiting to see what Disney has in store. But you can't expect everyone to do so. Humans tend to focus on the "now", rather than the "two years time".

my follow up reply (note: my usage of "friend" was something I should nMt have done in the manner I did: I was exasperated and tired and let my courtesy slip.):

Presumptous, 07jonesj? Look, I'm sorry, but I think some people are overreacting, badly. I understand that having so many projects canceled at once can gobsmack people; it does me too. But there's absolutely no need to bad mouth Disney for that or trash talking about the ST and predicting it'll be a failure, because Disney is not going to bow to the fans' whims on everything just because the fans want the EU preserved.

Secondly, who are you to call me apathetic? That's a very strong assumption to make, "friend." I'm not apathetic, I can assure you. I won't be very happy if the post ROTJ EU is wiped out by the ST, but should I let that stop me from enjoying either those books or the new movies and their tie-ins? Or worse, should I whine about it like so many other people seem to be doing? They're focusing too much on the negatives and not on the positives. Ever heard the saying, "Every dark cloud has a silver lining?"

I think Brian at Tosche station was spot on in an earlier post: both the movie and EU purists need to relaize that the universe is changing and it won't go away. They can stick to what they like and skip what they don't like.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:42 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Odd that I don't see that as fan bashing, but maybe just because I'm a h8er.

It's more of an entrenched issue that occurs whenever any event happens that created a schism among fans dating back to the original creation of the EU.

In other words:

*H8er bashes on Disney.

*SW loyalist defends Disney.

*H8er bashes on SWL for defending Disney.

*SWL complains about fan bashing.

I hate Disney for the way they run their company the same way I hated Lucas for the prequels and TCW. But I don't hate SW or loyalist fans. I just don't feel like my SW fandom means defending it no matter what. Other people who feel that way feel defensive because they feel like loyalists are questioning their fandom, but that is mostly just people on both sides projecting.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:19 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Here's where I am now: I'm going to continue to follow the post-RotJ timeline (e.g. Crucible, the "Sword of the Jedi" trilogy), but otherwise I'm giving the EU a break (though there are exceptions to this; I'll read anything Kemp or Stover writes just for the sake of a good story). No more reading every book that gets released. I'm also not going to be doing any re-reading. This means that the one and only SWEU book I'll be reading in 2013 will be Crucible. This is pretty much where I've been the last year or so anyway, but now it's official. Reading books is time consuming and there are other books and other things that I would rather devote my time to.

I'll look ahead to the new films with curiosity and see what happens. If there was ever a good time to take a break from the EU and still be a part of the fandom, it's now. If the EU miraculously survives intact, I might get interested in it again. And if the EU is rebooted, I really don't think I'll bother with it.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:52 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I've read one new Star Wars novel in the past year, and honestly feel better about Star Wars when I'm revisiting old stuff that I haven't read in years, or at all, than the new stuff. I can count on one hand the new novel releases in the past decade that I think are truly worth re-reading, or that I would recommend to someone else to read. (seriously)

The only Star Wars fiction I've read in 2013 is a piece of short fiction by Daniel Keys Moran about two months ago that was published in 1996. It's one of the best pieces of fiction written in SW alongside Traitor and Revenge of the Sith.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:52 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I was raised with the idea that if you think someone in a position of perceived power is screwing something up, let them know what you think of them. It won't make you popular, and they can (often do) make life heck for the trouble, but for me, it's always been worth it.

I feel much the same way about the regular literary "classics" as you do (apparently) about recent SW, Reep.

Some of the most dreary\dull\etc books of all time were written about and\or during some of the most exciting\interesting events of human history, from the United States' Civil War to WWII.

I noticed the continuity slips in SW since the late 1990s, but they just didn't really bother me until they started creating big slips, seemingly because of Lucas having a bit of an ego issue\power lust after so long away from the wheel, with TCW.
I will grant that the books that supposedly happened after NJO are a mess (with a few exceptions), and the most recent Clone Wars tv series, with at least one episode a season, made that mess into a disaster area.

I did think that the portrayal of Mandalorians in their last few eps was well done. All portrayals up to that point in the series seemed to contradict, with Lucas' apparent blessing, the way that they were ALWAYS shown before that, including in the movies. I'll admit that I found His seeming inclination in CW to approve of stomping the EU into the dirt every chance he had to be exceedingly annoying, myself.

That line between finding something exceedingly annoying and being p!$$ed off would have to be crossed before I'd consider giving up entirely. I've asked myself over and over again the last few years: what would I do differently if I owned the franchise, and come up with many different answers, all of which are equally critical of the direction taken.

I didn't have a problem with the prequels, or the books\games\other pertaining to them. I didn't even mind Jar Jar, although I was the general minimum age of many of the haters when the character was introduced.

Other fans can say "Mr. Lucas' ideas in SW were absolutely perfect, because he created it," but that simple-minded, ideal Jedi-esque acceptance has always eluded me by design, the same as it did with Anakin Skywalker and many other more rebellious Jedi in the Order.

I think they're a lot smarter in many ways than those, like Knight\Master\Council member Obi-Wan, who thought the Councils throughout the story(-ies) told under the Star Wars banner were perfect.

I've always believed that the continuity of Star Wars shouldn't be based on a "this format is better than that one" attitude that Lucas has seemed to take for a long time. Instead, I thought it should be first come= first served, "This book came out before that show (for example), so the book takes continuity priority."

Hopefully, under Disney, SW can make a comeback to how it was for many more of us between the release of special edition OT and PT.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:16 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Technically if we adopt the "first come, first served" attitude, then the Mandalorians were extinct at the conclusion of the Clone Wars with the last survivors being Fenn Shysa, Tobin Dala, and Boba Fett, per Marvel Star Wars #68. But if we disregard Marvel Star Wars as S-canon (or whatever), then Boba Fett isn't a Mandalorian at all, as established by the 90s EU in which he's just a bounty hunter that wears Mandalorian armor, but had a thoroughly established history that didn't involve the Mandalorians at all.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 5 of 6