What Book are you reading now? (Other than Star Wars)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 84, 85, 86 ... 109, 110, 111  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:38 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I haven't read Zodiac, but in terms of "Eco" novels there's Edward Abbey's The Monkeywrench Gang, and to a lesser extent Robert Anton Wilson's The Illuminatus and Shrodinger's Cat Trilogies. Nether one is exactly a thriller, although they both contain action scenes. Wilson's writing is more similar to Stevenson's and they have shared themes of altered reality.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:28 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll check them out. I don't know how much a thriller Zodiac really is, though it subtitles itself "An Eco-Thriller." I'm not really familiar with the genre all that much. The protagonist never fires a gun, I think there's only one scene in which guns are fired and there's actual life and death combat.

I kinda suspect the unique draw the book has for me is that it's written from the first person perspective and the entirety of the story is filtered through to the reader by the protagonist, and Stephenson did such a great job with this character that it makes the book really enjoyable (and the Audible reader fits the character perfectly too). I dunno. It's hard to put my finger on but I haven't found anything online that really makes a comparison of the novel to anything else. Stephenson has a few novels that he ghostwrote along with his uncle, I believe, called The Cobweb and Interface, which might be more similar in tone to Zodiac but I've yet to read them. I think Zodiac has some degree of digressive expounding upon various scientific things or ecological things like Stephenson's other novels, but perhaps they're easier to get through (for me at least) because they're written in the voice of this character.

I really want to find some more novels written in this sort of style, though. I'm kind of curious to see what Stephenson's next novel is, if it's more in the same vein as Reamde, and thus I suppose Zodiac, or back to the whole Cryptonomicon/Baroque cycle writing that's filled with exposition on things that may or may not be important to the plot.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:38 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Now reading Halo: The Thursday War by Karen Traviss.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:31 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm still working my way through Saturn's Children by Charles Stross. It's an interesting read, it's just that I don't read much prose fiction anymore (preferring graphic novels).

It's a cool concept though, about a future where androids have populated the solar system after humanity (indeed, all life) has gone extinct. The protagonist/narratory, Freya, is a sexbot, and since the species she is programmed to love unconditionally is extinct, she is without purpose, drifting through the solar system on odd jobs and getting way over her head in conspiracies in the feudal society the robots have built.

The book explores cool ideas, not the least of which is sexuality among machines (for example, the fact that all androids and gynoids are owned by someone gave even the most powerful aristocrats a bit of a submissive streak in the bedroom). There's also some cool exploration of a society in which nothing is alive, and any idea based on life (like evolution and self-replicating individuals) are considered religious nonsense and extremism.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:30 pm Reply with quote  

Reading an early arc copy of Drew Karpyshyn's Children of Fire. I really like it so far. It's an original fantasy setting that deals with a world were magic is suppressed and threatening to break out.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:06 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I've been reading "The Novel of the Black Seal" by Arthur Machen. Earlier I said it inspired "The Call of Cthulhu," but I was confusing it with a different story; it inspired "The Whisperer in Darkness." "The Moon Pool" by Abraham Merritt is the story which inspired CoC.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:12 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

So I've resumed listening to Count Zero by William Gibson in audio book, and I've also resumed reading Robert E. Howard's Conan fiction in order of creation (as opposed to publication). I'm at "The People of the Black Circle," a novella.

Thus far in the tale, Conan, as chief of Afghuli (Hyborean Afghans!) tribesmen, has parleyed with a representative of the Vendhyans to secure the release of seven tribesmen, and seized the opportunity to kidnap their Devi, like a boss!

I've also ordered Dark Horse's Robert E. Howard's Savage Sword, which has other characters by Howard in it like El Borak. I'm trying to decide what to get with regard to DH's republication of Marvel's Savage Sword of Conan or their own version of Conan's stories, or both. I saw they have a miniseries of The Hour of the Dragon releasing starting this month, which I'll definitely pick up, especially since that Conan novel is next story which Howard wrote after the one that I am on. I'll probably pick up The Phoenix on the Sword at some point too.

Obligatory King Conan

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:02 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Finished Halo. Now reading Batman: Year One.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:13 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Life Is The Path wrote:

The animated feature didn't impress me. It was like an abbreviated Batman Begins plus Catwoman. Maybe the book is better. *shrug*

Crash Override wrote:
by William Gibson

As in the Cigarette Smoking Man? Wink

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:27 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dancelittleewok wrote:
Life Is The Path wrote:

The animated feature didn't impress me. It was like an abbreviated Batman Begins plus Catwoman. Maybe the book is better. *shrug*

Well, to be fair, Batman Begins was based heavily on Batman: Year One (the book). I enjoyed that book very much. A cool introduction to the character, and without any sort of supervillain in it to draw away attention. This is the story of Batman and Jim Gordon at the start. It's very noir and very well written and well drawn.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:36 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dancelittleewok wrote:

Crash Override wrote:
by William Gibson

As in the Cigarette Smoking Man? Wink

William Gibson did write two episodes of the X-Files, "Killswitch" and "First Person Shooter." They aren't very good though.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:31 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Enjoy Frank Miller before he went off the deep end.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:48 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dancelittleewok wrote:
Life Is The Path wrote:

I don't know about any animated feature, so I can't comment on that, but I quite enjoyed the book, and would highly recommend it.

Taral-DLOS wrote:
Well, to be fair, Batman Begins was based heavily on Batman: Year One (the book). I enjoyed that book very much. A cool introduction to the character, and without any sort of supervillain in it to draw away attention. This is the story of Batman and Jim Gordon at the start. It's very noir and very well written and well drawn.

And I think Taral is correct in this, as there were more than a few similarities with the film. The focus was on Gordon for much of the book, which I thought was a very good move. For want of a better phrase, superheroes can't really exist in a law enforcement vacuum. The police do have to be present, and be given plausible reasons for their in/action, and reactions - which was well handled from Gordon's perspective.

Now reading Gallow's Thief by Bernard Cornwell.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:40 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Finished Gallows Thief. I enjoyed it, though it's not Cornwell's best work. Now reading Niven's Ringworld Engineers.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:17 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Finished that thing up there ^ and now on to Douglas Adams' Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency. I have no words.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 85 of 111