Episode VII in 2015 [spoiler thread]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 31, 32, 33  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:50 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

http://www.businessweek.com/printer/articles/100462-how-disney-bought-lucasfilm-and-its-plans-for-star-wars

Hm. So it appears the ST was not a work of Disney at all. It was a marketing ploy by Lucas to increase his company's value before the sale. And he hired Michael Arndt, got Kasdan back, and went into talks with the Big Three actors before Disney ever signed the papers.

Add then that the blueprint for at least Ep. 7 is the Lucas story treatment, and him being their primary consultant, and what you are left with is Lucas hands all over this movie. That is worrysome indeed. I mean, sure, if Disney are comitted to making something great here, his meddling can only do so much about it, but with him having been behind the idea and laid all of its groundwork, Disney are pretty much working within his pre-determined confines. Iger also promised Lucas to protect the sprit of his SW, which I interpret as respecting his dictates every bit as much as Filoni has on TCW.

I had up until now thought Lucas simply wanted out, Disney bought and in their greed decided to oversaturate the market with SW movies. But here I discover Lucas having been behind it all in a ploy to make more cash, and has his fingers deeply dug into the pie still.
Seems all Disney has contributed with so far is JJ Abrams, and even that presumes KK is loyal to them more than to GL. The more important piece of the puzzle is the screenwriter IMO, and knowing Lucas hired him bodes ill indeed.

Will you retire already, O Flanneled One!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:09 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ I'm not surprised that Disney doesn't have creative control over the Sequel Triology. Two of my other fandoms, Pixar and Narnia, have had movies made under Disney. Disney handled marketing and distribution, but Pixar and Walden Media actually made the movies. On paper.

I had heard about Lucas's treatments for the Sequel Trilogy, so I'm not shocked that the new movies will be drawn from them, but it is very interesting nontheless. As an EU, it's frightening, because the treatments certainly don't have any consideration for the EU and this probably means that the EU will either die or become a separate universe. However, just as a Star Wars movie fan, this is actually encouraging. I was worried about various creative forces scrambling to get a movie done by 2015 after being told out of the blue to do so. However, if the movies are based on the treatments, at least there is a level of genuine inspiration to the story, not just a cash grab.

GrandMaster wrote:
I guess it depends where it is in the timeline - I would prefer something a bit earlier, when Ben is a kid. Also, Josh Hutcherson is busy with The Hunger Games for a few years, so that could push Episode VII back, which I definitely don't want.

I don't know about that. There's only one movie left to shoot (assuming they film both parts of Mockingjay at the same time) and shooting movies only takes a fraction of production (usually under six months). Jennifer Lawrence filmed three movies besides THG for release in 2012.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:34 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I thought that we already were told that Lucas had written the story treatments - maybe that was just a rumor. It doesn't really concern me - Lucas will not write the dialogue, he will not direct the film, etc. And he's going to be surrounded by a lot of powerful people who can say "No" to any bad ideas

Reepicheep wrote:

I don't know about that. There's only one movie left to shoot (assuming they film both parts of Mockingjay at the same time) and shooting movies only takes a fraction of production (usually under six months). Jennifer Lawrence filmed three movies besides THG for release in 2012.

True, but there were scheduling disagreements between THG and the X-Men: First Class sequel because of her involvement in both - it would depend which film would take priority.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:24 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

GrandMaster wrote:
I thought that we already were told that Lucas had written the story treatments - maybe that was just a rumor. It doesn't really concern me - Lucas will not write the dialogue, he will not direct the film, etc. And he's going to be surrounded by a lot of powerful people who can say "No" to any bad ideas

Exactly. As a Star Wars movie fan (forgetting about the EU), knowing Lucas had written and developed treatments for the Sequel Trilogy long before they were greenlit is encouraging. He won't have the UNLIMITED POWER he had with the prequels, so I'm not concerned there. The EU is the worrisome part now. Confused

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:29 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I am not confident that the EU will be perfectly preserved, but I feel that an attempt will be made to acknowledge it - for example, the Solo and Skywalker kids will have the same names, appearance of popular characters, etc.

While I will certainly mourn the passing of this EU (if it does go away), I'm excited to see what new things are on the horizon.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:15 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Not happy about it. GL out of SW was the only thing I was looking forward to.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:56 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

SW VII rumors:

http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/content/exclusive-star-wars-episode-vii-takes-place-30-years-after-disciple-palpatine-plot-info

• Star Wars Episode VII will be set 30 years after Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

• It will indeed feature the Skywalker/Solo children coming to the peak of their powers

• The Jedi Order has been rebuilt with Luke Skywalker as Grand Master

• A disciple of Emperor Palpatine aims to rebuild the Sith Armies of the Old Republic and destroy the Jedi where the Skywalker children will be thrust into battle and face their inner demons of their Skywalker lineage.

Probably BS, but I thought I'd pass it on.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:49 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

All we need is Lumiya as the disciple of Palpatine, and we've got LOTF right there - minus the Sith armies.

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:43 am Reply with quote  

I don't know if I would want to see Sith armies. I mean, they looked cool in the TOR trailers, but it would seem like a rip off if the they did a sequel trilogy that felt like TOR.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:43 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
SW VII rumors:

http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/content/exclusive-star-wars-episode-vii-takes-place-30-years-after-disciple-palpatine-plot-info

• Star Wars Episode VII will be set 30 years after Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

• It will indeed feature the Skywalker/Solo children coming to the peak of their powers

• The Jedi Order has been rebuilt with Luke Skywalker as Grand Master

• A disciple of Emperor Palpatine aims to rebuild the Sith Armies of the Old Republic and destroy the Jedi where the Skywalker children will be thrust into battle and face their inner demons of their Skywalker lineage.

Probably BS, but I thought I'd pass it on.

Interestingly enough, that could actually work as a post-NJO/pre-LOTF storyline. There is a 10 year gap there with nothing written. Could be explored and concluded without much impacting LOTF or FOTJ's plot. *shrug*

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:25 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

*Ahen*

Not quite, Henning. You forget Dark Nest.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:08 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Alan Skywalker V wrote:
*Ahen*

Not quite, Henning. You forget Dark Nest.

Sorry. Mentioned it in another post.

Rephrase;

...There is a 10 year gap there with nothing written that takes up more than a few months of the timeline...

Still not really a problem. But my bad.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:30 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I figured this might be relevant reading:

http://www.secrethistoryofstarwars.com/completehistoryofthesequeltrilogy.html

The author of The Secret History of Star Wars recaps everything he knows about the ST and sees it in light of recent events.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:26 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/29/john-noble-on-jj-abrams-and-star-wars-episode-7-rumors

John Noble: "I mean I'd love to do Star Wars. That would just be epic doing something like that. And it's not beyond the realm of possibility. I have a terrific relationship with J.J. Abrams and Bad Robot, I really do. So it’s not beyond the realm of possibility. It's awhile away yet."

Yes please.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 11:19 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Denethor in a galaxy far, far away? I could see Noble playing an Imperial Moff-type character.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga

Page 12 of 33