Random Thing of the Day
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 40, 41, 42  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:05 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
What would it take to have commercial free TV?

We'd all have to buy one of everything so they didn't have to advertise it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:44 pm Reply with quote  

Caedus_16 wrote:
Darth Skuldren wrote:

This or, judging from the difference between things like HBO, Netflix, Amazon Prime, vs. Hulu and regular cable, a monthly subscription.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:52 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Salaris Vorn wrote:
Caedus_16 wrote:
Darth Skuldren wrote:

This or, judging from the difference between things like HBO, Netflix, Amazon Prime, vs. Hulu and regular cable, a monthly subscription.

Hulu still has ads, and Amazon actually trojan-virus-drops an extension into your web browser so they can have all that roll-over crap.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:29 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Didn't someone invent a device that blocked out commercials? I dunno, it turned off the TV or something, but you still had to wait for the show to come back on.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:11 am Reply with quote  

Caedus_16 wrote:
Salaris Vorn wrote:
Caedus_16 wrote:
Darth Skuldren wrote:

Hulu still has ads, and Amazon actually trojan-virus-drops an extension into your web browser so they can have all that roll-over crap.

that's why I put Hulu with regular cable in the break down, both have ads. To my knowledge Amazon doesn't have ads, like HBO and Netflix but with all three you need to pay something for their services. What's this Trojan virus thing with Amazon though?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:20 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

So this is what I've read in a local newspaper:

Brad Pitt is going to play Gerry Lane an UN employee in the upcoming STAR WARS film...... Shocked

Oh dear
What a mistaka to make-a

Im not sure if it was a typo or just ignorance of the author.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:17 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Random Poem of the Day:

Just now
a rock took fright
when it saw me
it escaped
by playing dead

~Norbert Mayer

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:07 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

L. Neil Smith, who wrote the Lando Calrissian trilogy of novels, was on the Arizona ballot for President in 2000. I guess he also decided to rename .40 SW bullets .40 Liberty bullets in the same vein as Freedom Fries after Smith and Wesson made some sort of deal with the Clinton administration to avoid a lawsuit.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:36 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

For Star Wars Day, let's all travel back in time fourteen years and look at the nature of Star Wars internet discussion in 1999:

LOL

Sadly, most of the threads weren't saved, though some were. But the titles themselves are pretty amusing.

Quote:
as long as kja is never let near a pen again, i'm happy, he may be a great guy and all but really can't write. I think its great that stackpole is writtting some and should write more. the upcoming books had better have more about the rogues in them: i was disgusted that they were never seen in vp. those are pretty much all of my thoughts for the moment.... oh yes, syal and soontir fel should be in them

Quote:
Zahn started the serious novels (the early Del Ray stuff wasn't that great) then a lot of 'B-Team' authors jumped in with mostly forgettable or nearly disastrous results. Following this, Mike Stackpole and Tim Zahn worked hard to gather everything up and set things right ("I, Jedi" and the "Hand of Thrawn" duology). Now, we’re starting off again with a lot of loose ends and things that don’t really seem to belong in Star Wars. Basically, "Vector Prime" was disappointing and I consider the NJO books 'on probation' until I see a trend that they're improving. If they get worse, I'll simply stop reading them and move onto something else.

This looks familiar

Quote:
-If George Lucas is you're THIRD favorite SW writer after Zahn and Stackpole.

As does this sentiment.

Quote:
This is a great thread. I too rearange books and still pronounce Coruscant the real way!!

Yeah, with a hard C. lol

This is really nostalgic. Aw man. I just need to find a thread of "Exar Kun vs Darth Vader" to complete the trip down memory lane.

Page 2 thread: "Anakin or Jacen turn to the Dark Side?"

Isn't saved sadly.

Quote:
"How should Mace Windu die?"
By friendly-fire. . No. I'm just kidding. I think he should die of old age. Either that or be electricuted by Palpatine. I think he shouldn't die by being killed by a Jedi Knight. I think he is to good a Jedi (at fighting) to die that way.

Lol.

Some talk of clone mandalorians in the thread too. There's a lot more negative threads about TPM than I remember.

Quote:
Boba Fett would be no match for Mace Windu! Why, you may ask? Because Mace is a JEDI MASTER! Duh! Not even Fett's armor could withstand a lightsaber. In ROTJ, Luke (and Han) kicked his butt. When you think about it, Fett's a good bounty hunter but a lousy fighter (Dengar was always my favorite).

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:57 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ I've read some of that. I wasn't a member of any forum back then and this sparked my interest.

Fun read mostly, with some slightly disturbing flavor to it (Palps is Anakins daddy topic).

Makes me wonder if we'll facepalm at our own posts and theories fourteen years from now. Very Happy

I'll ask the only future telling device I know.

Magic 8-ball wrote:
It is decidedly so.
Laughing

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:01 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Hogy wrote:
Fun read mostly, with some slightly disturbing flavor to it (Palps is Anakins daddy topic)

The mere thought of that always gives me the chills...Shocked

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:52 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Maybe you all don't live in a place with a lot of rednecks, but I'm sure no matter where you live you have people with bumper stickers that they think says, "I'm witty and clever" and to everyone else says, "I'm an *******". So yeah, we have a lot of bumper stickers from people proclaiming their enthusiasm for shooting people.

I pulled up to a guy with the sticker: "Keep honking, I'm reloading." I said, "O.K" and started honking, which I thought was very funny because that statement really doesn't make any sense.

I presume that it's supposed to mean that he will shoot you if you honk at him. First of all, as you can see, he's telling people to do the thing that he doesn't want them to do. And why is he reloading? That implies that he has no bullets, presumably from shooting all the other people that honked at him. If that many people are honking at you, then perhaps you're the problem in the situation, but nevermind that. As we've established he has no bullets, so he can't shoot me for honking at him. What if I honk once, and then I don't keep honking as he is reloading? Will he shoot me still? That seems unfair based on the merit of the sticker.

Thankfully he didn't shoot me. Slightly disappointing, he didn't reload either, which would have been a pretty good feat of dexterity to perform while driving.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 1:05 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Crash Override wrote:
For Star Wars Day, let's all travel back in time fourteen years and look at the nature of Star Wars internet discussion in 1999:

Those were very different times lol

I joined Star Wars online fandom I think in around 2006-2007 (when I started buying books). I remember some of the great debates on the old Starwars.com forum and the Jedi Council Forums.

I remember that one idiot who got banned for calling Nathan Butler a blowhole.

I remember huge debates as to whether Plagueis created Anakin (with the only concrete evidence at the time being a reference in The New Essential Chronology that Plagueis died 4 years before Ani was born).

I remember legitimate arguments over whether the year "0 BBY" existed (conclusion: No; one year before Yavin was 1 BBY, six months before Yavin was 0.5 BBY, Yavin Day is 0 ABY. Outcome: Wookieepedia didn't change a thing).

I remember so many people on the Jedi Council Forums saying how terrible Wookieepedia was, and still Wookieepedia recognizes the JCF as a friend.

I remember Jason Fry and Daniel Wallace asking for people's help for the Essential Atlas and Essential Guide to Warfare, and then using much of the data we provided in the books (I got a mention in the Warfare guide's acknowledgements).

I remember Sue Rostoni actively answering fan questions (including a particularly useless one of mine: Is Kerra Holt going to be hot? Her answer: yes. Actual outcome: depends on the issue).

Good times Smile
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:20 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I vaguely remember discussing Star Wars on the early Internet before the prequels, most notably dealing with Exar Kun vs Darth Vader threads, as Exar Kun was the fanboy idol that Darth Revan now is. I at the very least lurked at TFN in 2002-2003, and I can't remember what my name was if I posted, but I did post at the Star Wars Galaxies forums. I remember being involved with lengthy debates over whether Jacen was wrong to persuade Anakin not to fire Centerpoint in Jedi Eclipse.

I remember a handle I registered at TFN on April 2, 2005, and I'm kind of curious to go back and look at my posts from that time.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 3:30 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Wow that was an awesome blast from the past! So much speculation, while a lot of it was comically wrong, surprising a lot of people had some good guesses. The early NJO post way back when they were only on book 4 was a great read as well! Good post, but your right many palms will meet with respected faces due to our own posts come about 2015 lol! (Note to future me "you didn't know it would all be ok, and you were upset at the time)

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 35 of 42