Darth Vader and the Ninth Assassin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darth Vader and the Ninth Assassin
 PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:45 am Reply with quote  

Dark Horse is continuing their theme of Darth Vader miniseries with Darth Vader and the Ninth Assassin.

Here's a look at Ariel Olivetti's creation process for the cover.

Quote:
Eight assassins hired to murder Darth Vader—eight assassins dead. Now the man who enlisted them seeks a ninth assassin. The price? A cost higher than all the credits in his bottomless coffers. But when it comes to avenging his son, no sacrifice is too great to acquire the one man who can kill the Dark Lord of the Sith . . .The Hunt for Darth Vader is on!

Issue #1 comes out April 17 and it looks like this will be a monthly.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:13 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Saw the ad for this in the ending previews in either Dawn of the Jedi or like maybe Agent of the Empire, it looked so cool and I'm very excited Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:39 am Reply with quote  

Randy Stradley spoke about it some in an interview with CBR...

Quote:
CBR: The high concept driving “Darth Vader and the Ninth Assassin” sounds promising. For unaware readers, can you set the stage for us?

Randy Stradley: The Empire has become aware of a threat to its hold on the galaxy and Vader has discovered an ancient power that rivals the Sith. The temptation to take it and use it for his own ends is almost too much to resist. Meanwhile, a wealthy businessman whose son was killed by Vader has hired a cadre of assassins to kill the Dark Lord. Eight of them have failed, but the ninth, well, the ninth assassin is something special.

CBR: Was this Tim Siedell’s pitch or did you go after him? He seems like the right fit – his tweets from @badbanana are hailed as one of “Time’s” 140 Best Twitter Feeds.

Randy Stradley: I’ve been following Tim on Twitter for years. I’m amazed that three or four times a day he can come up with a quip or observation that literally makes me laugh out loud. Then, one day, I noticed Tim was following me on Twitter. Consider this, Tim has nearly 700,000 followers; I had at the time just over 700. I sent him a message, asking if he’d ever thought about writing comics. Turns out, Tim had been thinking about writing comics and had searched his followers for the names of senior editors at all of the major comics companies. I was the only one following him, so he began following me. The rest is history.

To be honest, I hadn’t expected Tim to want to write comics, let alone Star Wars. It turns out he’s a big fan and he jumped at the chance. Sometimes the stars align.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:40 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Quote:
discovered an ancient power that rivals the Sith

Why is it always an ancient power? That's one of the things I liked about the Vong, that they were an entirely new threat. Far too many things fall back to the ancient power/evil cliche.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:06 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I do love me some Vader, but the last 2 parter, Purge was ehhhhhh. While Dark Times isn't bad, I'm glad to have Vader back in action with this new title. I know they can't all be as good as Ghost Prison but I'm keeping them crossed that we get our awesome Vader comic of 2013 right here

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:59 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

1337Jedi wrote:
I do love me some Vader, but the last 2 parter, Purge was ehhhhhh. While Dark Times isn't bad (...)

It's funny. I disagree with both your points. In my view, Purge: The Tyrant's Test was amazing, on par with Ghost Prison, but I haven't dug Dark Times in a while.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:42 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral-DLOS wrote:
1337Jedi wrote:
I do love me some Vader, but the last 2 parter, Purge was ehhhhhh. While Dark Times isn't bad (...)

It's funny. I disagree with both your points. In my view, Purge: The Tyrant's Test was amazing, on par with Ghost Prison, but I haven't dug Dark Times in a while.

I found Purge adequate but Dark Times has never held my interest. Ghost Prison, however, is some of the best SW comic I've read in years in terms of art and story.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:05 pm Reply with quote  

I didn't like Purge: The Tyrant's Fist. Felt really meh. It was just Vader killing more Jedi, and it didn't do much to provoke any emotions for me.

But back on topic, CBR has an interview with Tim Siedell, the writer for Ninth Assassin.

Link: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=43788

They also have some concept art and one page of interior art there.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:44 am Reply with quote  

Info on the last issue.

Darth Vader and the Ninth Assassin #5 (of 5)

Publication Date: August 21, 2013
Format: FC, 32 pages; Miniseries
Price: $3.50

Having stalked Darth Vader, the assassin is now ready to strike . . . It seems Vader, distracted by threats to the Emperor, could be taken. But the assassin has made one mistake—believing that he has a chance against the most-feared man in the galaxy!

Writer: Tim Siedell
Penciller: Iván Fernández
Inker: Denis Freitas
Colorist: Michael Atiyeh
Cover Artist: Ariel Olivetti

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:41 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Wow issue number 3 killed it! I have read basically every comic Vader has ever been in and when I say this is the most Bad A@$ version of Vader that has ever touched the paper, I may be making an understatement! Even if you are not reading this arc get out there and pick up this issue, Vader has never been more of a Sith Lord. 10 out of 10...... Could you guys tell I really liked it?! Lol

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:08 pm Reply with quote  

I agree, this is one of the best Vader series I've read. For a new guy, Tim Siedell is doing a really good job. And issue #3 even had an art change and stilled did good. You could hardly tell there were different artists.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 1