Gripe of the Day
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 188, 189, 190 ... 198, 199, 200  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:14 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Salaris Vorn wrote:
So my graduate school manual says that PhD students can maintain full time status if they are course complete or ABD (all but dissertation). The manual was updated last December. My advisor says that the manual is wrong and that for whatever reason the Graduate School doesn't update the manual even though they know it to be wrong.

My advisor is the alpha male type so to go over his head and clarify this with the graduate school will likely just make him angry and hostile towards me for breaking the "chain of command" so it's pretty much a dead end. Which sucks majorly because I'm course complete so the only reason for me to register for a full course load is keep my student loans in deferral. Having a full course load also means I have less time to prepare for my doctoral exams during the fall semester.

But overall it really miffs me that, even though the graduate school manual says I don't need to register for a full course load, my advisor maintains that the guide is wrong leaving me in the position of either having to potentially do more work than I actually need (and pay for more credits than I need) or challenge him and commit academic suicide.

That is every kind of awful, but academics are all politics anymore. If the guide is printed that way then going over his head would assure that you don't need the full course load. Even if the guide is wrong they would probably grant you that for bringing it to their attention, but he would hate you forever for undermining his authority. You're screwed.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:33 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Having one of those days.

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:15 pm Reply with quote  

Caedus_16 wrote:

That is every kind of awful, but academics are all politics anymore. If the guide is printed that way then going over his head would assure that you don't need the full course load. Even if the guide is wrong they would probably grant you that for bringing it to their attention, but he would hate you forever for undermining his authority. You're screwed.

So some semi-good news regarding this: after responding to my e-mail my advisor had second thoughts and called the dean of the grad school to find out. Turns out my advisor is right. Among the long list of scandals that got the last dean fired in December neglecting to update the website's information was one of them. I feel much better knowing that in the end my advisor had my back and checked it out.

That being said it means I'll have to pay tuition for 9 credits instead of 1 credit despite being course complete so financially that still sucks. But all in all I'd rather be out a few extra bucks knowing my advisor is on my side than save a few bucks at the cost of making the next 2-3 years I have left (minimum) a living hell cause I got on my advisor's bad side.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:44 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

So, yesterday, I was teaching my kindergarten class. One of the kids has anger issues and possible special needs. He had a meltdown and began screaming and hitting anyone who came near him. We had to remove the other kids from the classroom until he could be calmed. Stressful, but at least they finally moved him into a smaller classroom where he could get more one on one help.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:14 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I really didn't have the best day ever today. First of all, I overslept, forgot my homework at home, got detention, twisted my ankle at the karate class and finally my favorite pizza place was closed so no pizza for dinner for me. And to make it all better, it was my birthday. Sad

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:25 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

That sucks. Sad

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:20 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Jeff Hanneman, the guitarist from Slayer has died Crying or Very sad Wrote some of the most influential metal songs around that are still classics today, great songwriter and musician. Had a big influence on my guitar playing
F*** these chains
No damn slave
I will be different!

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:44 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

My stomach is killing me today. Confused

EDIT: I'm pretty sure I have a kidney infection and I'm hoping to get to a doctor/clinic tomorrow. Last night literally I didn't sleep a wink and now I want to go to bed and it's only 7pm.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:31 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I purchased a year's subscription to Xbox Gold just to watch Netflix and then I remembered that there isn't anything good on Netflix.

No, I don't want to watch The Vampire Diaries.

I know I'm being a baby and there are good things on there, but everything that is good is something that I have already seen and/or own and every single thing that I wanted to see that I haven't is not on there.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:59 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^^

You want "nothing good on Netflix"? Move to Canada, where we get less than half of what you get.

I cancelled our Netflix because so much of what you guys get just isn't on it for us. Like, the newest material on Canadian Netflix is from 2011.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:09 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm not mad about the netflix, as I am about wasting my money on xbox Gold. Other than that I don't care about it and have no desire to play FPS mutli player.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:34 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
I'm not mad about the netflix, as I am about wasting my money on xbox Gold. Other than that I don't care about it and have no desire to play FPS mutli player.

If you don't play fps online and you don't do netflix then xbox gold is pointless. Completely.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:41 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

I subscribed to Netflix, once. Then I discovered that it didn't have Sherlock, so I cancelled the subscription. I is fickle.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:20 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:

If you don't play fps online and you don't do netflix then xbox gold is pointless. Completely.

Yes, exactly. That is the problem.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:21 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
Caedus_16 wrote:
Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:

Yes, exactly. That is the problem.

Cancel it, get your money back if you can. They're usually pretty good about it and soon it will be different and subscriptions will be required so enjoy not needing it for now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 189 of 200